Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lights Problem

shahidafridi

Hi guys

hope everyone here is having a top weekend, weathers lovely for a change!

just wandered if anyone had a clue about whats wrong with my car lights,

when i switch them on although the inside lights come on, the dipped headlights dont (and neither do the fogs)

The main headlights and the full beam ones work fine!

iv tried the fuses its not that, i dont think any wirings loose as i have checked, so any ideas anyone?

thanks in advance

mmmm lets clear things up a bit

tell us what does work

1.sidelights ?

2.headlights ?

Possibly a bad earth somewhere in the lighting system - although GTBooster does raise a good point - more info needed !

mmmm lets clear things up a bit

tell us what does work

1.sidelights ?

2.headlights ?

sorry i should have said all else works except the dipped lights and the fogs

have checked the fuses its not them!

thanks GT4 Booster

by inside lights then you mean the cars interior light ? the celica has an outer set and inner set of headlights, so you can see the confusion .

fogs only work on main beam , do the rear lights come on at all .most cars lights work on a left and right basis and not front and rear .i'd check the bulbs and check ALL the fuse boxes , there is 3 or 4 on a celica

good luck !!

by inside lights then you mean the cars interior light ? the celica has an outer set and inner set of headlights, so you can see the confusion .

fogs only work on main beam , do the rear lights come on at all .most cars lights work on a left and right basis and not front and rear .i'd check the bulbs and check ALL the fuse boxes , there is 3 or 4 on a celica

good luck !!

I think you'll find that front fogs only work on dipped beam. As suggested check all fuses and the bulbs. if they check out OK it maybe a problem with the dip/high beam switch.

my main beam is the headlights are on not the blind everyone in front beam, and not side lights . im just stuck in my ways . lol . :blink:

then again he didnt say rear fogs or the fronts either. :rolleyes:

if it is the switch , i have a spare for sale.

when i switch them on although the inside lights come on, the dipped headlights dont (and neither do the fogs)

my main beam is the headlights are on not the blind everyone in front beam, and not side lights . im just stuck in my ways . lol . :blink:

:unsure: This is getting confusing!!

shahidafridi - I'm still confused as to what actually works, you said the dipped headlights doesn't, and the main headlights and full beam do work. Is the main headlights and the full beam the same thing???

When you switch your lights on, you should get the following:

Side Lights

Dipped Lights - what you normally drive with

Full Beam / Main beam - The one you use when you don't have oncoming traffic

Fog Lights - should only come on once selected with dipped or full already selected. You should probably use these once maybe twice a year.

So what doesn't work??

:unsure: This is getting confusing!! :yahoo:

you're not wrong . :wacko:

sorry guys

works making me a bit stupid

the dips do not work and as a result the fogs dont work either

everything else works

hope thats clearer

thanks

:unsure: This is getting confusing!! :yahoo:

you're not wrong . :wacko:

so you cant drive at night then ? i'd check both bulbs are ok .

do all the back lights work ok , just the 2 front headlights wont work ?

defo check the 2 front bulbs.

I thought you said it was "nothing major"!! :lol:

Dipped lights not working is fairly major - what do you do if it goes dark??

As GT4 Booster says, check the bulbs are both OK, if you've got no other way of testing you could just make up a couple of pieces of wires to connect the bulbs directly to the car Battery to test them. If they work fine then my guess would be either an earth fault (not too likely as they're not French) or the switch or possibly the relay.

If you feel like having a go at fixing it yourself pop to maplins and get a multimeter (less than a fiver) and test the voltage at the socket for the bulb, and at the switch and at the relay.

If you don't know too much about electrics you'll have to get someone to look at it.

Thinking about it, as I'm typing my money would be on a blown relay

thanks guys

sotal, i think il follow your advice and start with the relay, can i change this myself? where is it found?

thanks buddy

I thought you said it was "nothing major"!! :lol:

Dipped lights not working is fairly major - what do you do if it goes dark??

As GT4 Booster says, check the bulbs are both OK, if you've got no other way of testing you could just make up a couple of pieces of wires to connect the bulbs directly to the car battery to test them. If they work fine then my guess would be either an earth fault (not too likely as they're not French) or the switch or possibly the relay.

If you feel like having a go at fixing it yourself pop to maplins and get a multimeter (less than a fiver) and test the voltage at the socket for the bulb, and at the switch and at the relay.

If you don't know too much about electrics you'll have to get someone to look at it.

Thinking about it, as I'm typing my money would be on a blown relay

• 6 months later...
Hi guys

hope everyone here is having a top weekend, weathers lovely for a change!

just wandered if anyone had a clue about whats wrong with my car lights,

iv tried the fuses its not that, i dont think any wirings loose as i have checked, so any ideas anyone?

thanks in advance

Morning shahidafridi,

i have been reading about your problem as it is exactly the same as my car. (Celica VVTLI 190) This happened to me last night and i wouldered id you have found the solution,

Relay/switch?

many thanks

simon

Bit of an old thread buddy, perhaps its worth starting your own, with a clearer idea of what is and is not working. is it just the front dipped beams that dont work, do the rears come on at all?

• 1 year later...

I know its an old thread but this is whats up with mine now but there is no final answer to this problem on the thread.

I only got side lights. No Dipped main lights or fogs (as the fogs are linked somehow to the drivers lights).

HELP.... If it is the relay its £33.00 for toyota....

Rather find out whats up before handing over the money

Cheers All

Big E

Bit of an old thread buddy, perhaps its worth starting your own, with a clearer idea of what is and is not working. is it just the front dipped beams that dont work, do the rears come on at all?

• 10 years later...

4/9/19, i’ve got a celica gt 1998 and i’ve got the same problem just come up, side lights work, full beam work, dipped headlights and fogs don’t work. All the fuses are okay, i’ve brought a new relay and changed that, it hasn’t fixed the problem, very unlikely to be an earthing problem, and i can’t see why it would suddenly be a switch problem so i’m not even going to try that. Proper stuck and don’t know what to do with it. So if anyones made any head way that would be great. But like i said anyones step after fuses would be a relay but that hasn’t worked so don’t waste your money 🤦🏻‍♂️