Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New To Toyota

vmax1

After years of owning Fords I have now aquired a '99 1.8 Avensis. As with the Fords, I intend to do most of my own servicing. Apart from the obvious, is there anything in particular I should keep a close eye on?

I see from other topics posted that there seems to be no workshop manuals or PDF's available yet, apart from OEM offerings I assume. Are there any other sources of information available for servicing that I could try?

Vmax

Welcome to the club!!

So what engine would that be? I presume it's the 7A-FE lean burn rather than the VVTI. If it is the 7A-FE (stamped on engine) then you can get a haynes manual for the Carina E. These have the same engine and other similar bits so are quite useful when servicing your avensis - I have one.

The only real problem you will notice is rattles from the interior, much of them easy to fix however. The engines and car itself are very reliable and will only really require routine servicing. All i've had to do to mine is service it.

Oh and your back wiper may start playing up which seems a common trait of the avensis.

You should have years of cheap motoring ahead!!

Stu :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Thanks Stu. Yes it is a 7A-FE.

Too right it rattles! I think most of the noise is to do with the parcel shelf. Yes, the rear wipe can be a bit twitchy but works OK.

I did an oil & filter change today. I've used 10w-40 Magnatec- I hope this is OK.

I shall now get hold a Carina manual.

Thanks again for your help.

Vmax

Anytime mate, that's what we are here for!!

That oil should be fine, you could have put in a lower viscosity than that if you'd wished. For best fuel economy they recommend 5W30. (or 10W30 i can't remember off hand!).

As for rattles, the parcel shelf can be a problem as can the centre binnacle where the stereo/heater etc is mounted and the passenger screen demisting vent. Also the binnacle where the headlamp dip and mirror control is situated. Another one can be the sunroof and.........

I could go on! :lol:

Postscript - Oil.

Having just read through service details on the recently aquired vehicle I see that an "Authorised Dealer" has listed using Mobil Super S 15w40 grade on an invoice for the 27000 mile service!

Vmax

Hi guys,

Re servicing.

I was a maintenance controller for a fleet company and I would like to inform you that we had to look after every make of car under the sun. I noted from the years I did this job that the Toyota was by far the most economical car to service and repair. The reports we got from the drivers were that the cars had no problem at all. this inspired me to purchase my 98 avensis 1.8 with 54k on the clock. I have had it for 18 months and it has reached 85k miles. I have had to replace the clutch, a set of brake pads and the water pump (during the course of the cambelt change -slight dampness showing) apart from servicing there has been no other real worries other than a set of rear shocks which were quite expensive (£85 each). I thought my steering rack had gone but the play in the rack was only an advise and the car past its mot today. I consider these repairs to be a bargain in terms of other vehicles (some which probably due for the knackers yard) and I intend to keep mine for years to come .....despite the high mileage. and yes 10/40 magnitech is fine. runs quiter with that in it. btw I have also used Shell optimax fuel and found the engine really responds with this in it. when I went back to ordinary unleaded found not so lively. but is it worth the extra 6p per litre?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links