Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shaking Steering Wheel

Thewhizz_68

Get a very bad shake at the wheel whern i get to about 50mph, thought it just needed to be balanced but just been down to kwik fit and they say my alloy is bent which is causing the problem.

The wheel hasn't a mark on it so where could i get this fixed or is it a matter of buying a new alloy from Toyota?

Get a very bad shake at the wheel whern i get to about 50mph, thought it just needed to be balanced but just been down to kwik fit and they say my alloy is bent which is causing the problem.

The wheel hasn't a mark on it so where could i get this fixed or is it a matter of buying a new alloy from Toyota?

Hello mate. Unfortunitely if the wheel is bent/buckled, I don't believe there is anyone that can sort this out. I reckon your gunna have to bite the bullit and go for a whole new wheel

maybe get a second opinion tho if you dont think it sounds right, might be the tracking ? unless you had that done the same time as the balancing?

yeah i have the same issue

mr t said the driveshafts need to be replaced

so i got a lend of some rims from a mate and the car runs fine now

so try and get a lend of some wheels or an hour or two a see how it drives

You can get bent/buckled wheels repaired. It would just be a case of finding somewhere close to you and getting them to take a look at the damage.

Have you tried swapping wheels front/back to see if wobble goes away or as said above try and borrow a set of wheels to see if wobble stops.

Mart

You can get bent/buckled wheels repaired. It would just be a case of finding somewhere close to you and getting them to take a look at the damage.

Have you tried swapping wheels front/back to see if wobble goes away or as said above try and borrow a set of wheels to see if wobble stops.

Mart

Thanks for all your replies, might give that a try swapping front to back and see how it drives. Cheers :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Mart

Thanks for all your replies, might give that a try swapping front to back and see how it drives. Cheers :thumbsup:

To be honest it is very uncommon for the driveshaft to loose their balance, if it is not the balancing of the wheels then the rim is bent, But it all depends on how badly the rim is bent, sometimes rims with buckles in can balance out.

Mart

To be honest it is very uncommon for the driveshaft to loose their balance, if it is not the balancing of the wheels then the rim is bent, But it all depends on how badly the rim is bent, sometimes rims with buckles in can balance out.

It is amazing what they can repair nowadays but take care and go to a reputable place as an x-ray of the wheel may show serious damage, not suitable to fix which a back street cowboy may try to do, for a fistfull of dollars!

I have seen in a DSA publication, pictures of whole cars that have been repaired but on x-ray, they are very badly done and potentially death trap! :angry:

It could prove cheaper getting one off eBay, or asking a dealer if they have 'new, old stock'

This is often sold discounted, to get rid of it! :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links