Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chirping Alarm?

Davejj

My 1999 Gen 6 Celica has developed a wierd "alarm" fault.

When the car is locked the alarm will often make a constant chattering/chirping noise. Sleeping last night with the bedroom window open, I was awoken by this strange steady chirping noise that I traced to the car alarm. Does this alarm maybe have an internal Battery that is going flat? The main Battery reads 12.1v volts off load.

Any advice would be gratefully received,

Dave JJ

SS-II

Engine Model = 3S-GE

0-60= 7.5 Sec.

Power = Manual 177.5BHP, Automatic 167.6 BHP,

Model number on VIN for Manual---------E-ST202-BLMVF

Model number on VIN for Automatic-----E-ST202-BLPVF

It sounds like it's buggered!

I don't think it's got an internal Battery (not 100% sure though) How well is the car starting - it could be that the main Battery is getting a bit weak - although I doubt it.

I think the alarm goes off fully when the Battery gets weak

Just noticed it's an SS2 so I presume it's an import - I'm pretty sure that none of them came with alarms so it will be an aftermarket jobby, you'll have to work out what make of alarm it is and go from there.

Thanks for the reply, I can confirm that the alarm is the factory fitted TVSS IIIB.

The car starts fine - plenty of juice in the main Battery. I have just found out that when the alarm is "tripped", the siren now makes a high pitched, but not very loud, even sound.... not the ear shattering noise it used to make!

It does sound b***ered doesn't it?

If I take off the siren (the bit under the Battery tray) am I liable to have troubles with the immobiliser?

I don't want to render the car unusable but being an avionics engineer I may be able to fix a knackered siren.

Also - if I disconnect the Battery, will the immobiliser activate when I reconnect it? I really don't want to be left with an immobilised car that has to be towed to Mr T.

Thanks again for your help,

Dave JJ

Can't be 100% sure if it's an import as they may have fitted it differently but from my experience...

You can remove the siren, it won't affect the alarm (it just won't make any noise)

If you take the Battery off, it won't make any real difference to the alarm etc, mine never has. If I remember correctly the key has an immobiliser chip in it, so as long as you have the right key you can drive the car with the alarm going off.

As I say that's just from my experience so you'll be taking a bit of a chance but the system isn't over advanced and is normally easy to get going again.

check the sensors. I had a similar issue when I re-fitted the bonnet sensor after getting stuff powdercoated. It wasn't lined up properly and would cause the alarm to chirp and trip.

• 2 weeks later...
check the sensors. I had a similar issue when I re-fitted the bonnet sensor after getting stuff powdercoated. It wasn't lined up properly and would cause the alarm to chirp and trip.

Just as a follow up - I took the bonnet switch off and gave it some thorough "counselling". (Pushed it, pulled it, cleaned it with WD40, measured it's resistance (0.02 ohms), operated it lots of times and refitted it - checking it's alignment).

That was a few weeks ago and I haven't heard the chirping noise since - in fact I now quite miss it...

Thanks for the help & if the situation changes I shall let you know.

Dave J

• 1 year later...

hmm found another thread on here - seems the chirping (which it still does intermitently and then sounds the alarm) could be the siren backup Battery is dead/dying.. looks like some more cash for Mr.T.

• 4 months later...

Just as a follow up - I took the bonnet switch off and gave it some thorough "counselling". (Pushed it, pulled it, cleaned it with WD40, measured it's resistance (0.02 ohms), operated it lots of times and refitted it - checking it's alignment).

That was a few weeks ago and I haven't heard the chirping noise since - in fact I now quite miss it...

Thanks for the help & if the situation changes I shall let you know.

Dave J

Just to follow up and put this one to bed... since sevicing the sensor on the bonnet the thing has not made so much as a peep - and it's been well over a year now. Thanks for the info BenMMellor!

Dave J