Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking Suspention

MIP

I've got a bit of a knocking noise from the passenger side rear only when going over bumpy ground. What would people suggest to diagnose the problem? Keeping in mind, the car is lowered so I'm sure this'll make some things wear faster. Also I think I can illiminate the anti-roll bar links as they where replaced and still seems nice n tight.

Some directions to things I could physically check would be great!

ANTI ROLL BAR AND BUSHES WILL BE WORN - at the point where the rubber bushes sit, been covered 1000,s of times.I wrapped a bit of cycle inner tube around bar ,replaced bushes and bingo - no more noises.

hope this helps

ANTI ROLL BAR AND BUSHES WILL BE WORN - at the point where the rubber bushes sit, been covered 1000,s of times.I wrapped a bit of cycle inner tube around bar ,replaced bushes and bingo - no more noises.

hope this helps

Thats great, thanks :thumbsup:

I'll get some anti-roll bar bushes ordered. Did you wrap the tubing along the bar from the bush to the drop link, or round one particular spot?

no need for new bushes - just wrap a single strip of inner tube around where the existing bushes have been , use the old bushes again . The bolts can be a pig to get back in if the layer is too thick , but you'll soon see this whan you do the job . new rubber bushes are about 10 quid if you do decide to get some. i got new ones fitted them and the knock was still there , hence the tubing, its the actual steel rod of the anti roll bar that wears away so new bushes aint gonna make any difference.

hope this helps

Thats great, thanks :thumbsup:

I'll get some anti-roll bar bushes ordered. Did you wrap the tubing along the bar from the bush to the drop link, or round one particular spot?

Get yourself new bushes, about £6 each, don't go for that cycle tube idea, if that was a fix you could buy it on a roll !!!

Also check the bushes where the panhard rods fit the the bottom of the stub axle, those bushes wear too, however if that is the fault the stub axle has to be replaced Kingo :thumbsup:

As mentioned i myself replaced my bushes with new ones, and it made no difference , due to the anti roll bar being worn at the contact point. Yes its easy for you to say replace this replace that , Well my fix saved me a few hundred quid for the price of an inner tube i had lying about, a fix which also a few other celica owners have done on here to cure the knocking.

toyota dealers dont fix, they replace - easy life.

MIP check the spring on that side also it may well have snapped a link either top or bottom. ????

Im all for a fix, cheap as possible, but there is a difference between a fix and a bodge, if the A/R bar is worn, then no amount of inner tubes cures the worn bar, the bar has to be replaced, end of! I can just hear the judge....Sorry ma lud, I read up the inner tube fix on TOC, thought it would be OK......Not. Kingo :thumbsup:

New bushes arrive thursday, they are cheap fortunatly. Hopefully they'll do the trick on their own. Otherwise I'll be taking the cheap inner tube route, sounds good to me. I'll be able to see the state of the bar when I remove the old bush, as long as its not rusted, a cheap fix'll be fine.

it wont be rusted , it'll be shiny silver metal , worn away less than 1mm where the bush sits, but enough to make it rattle on the chassis.

I fitted the new bushes this evening. The bar underneith wasn't worn at all, still had the black paint rather than bare metal. It's done the trick nicely, very happy. Cheers GT4 Booster!

a good day for cheap fixes. yay !! :yahoo:

bodge ? i dont think so !!

I've got a similar knocking sound under braking from my rear passenger wheel area - it's like a combination of a mild clicking sound with a crumpled rubber sound as the car slows down under braking - it doesn't happen when going over bumps but it does feel a bit "hollow" "flat" on that side as if the damping's a bit worn on that side - am getting it looked at this week.

• 8 months later...
New bushes arrive thursday, they are cheap fortunatly. Hopefully they'll do the trick on their own. Otherwise I'll be taking the cheap inner tube route, sounds good to me. I'll be able to see the state of the bar when I remove the old bush, as long as its not rusted, a cheap fix'll be fine.

hi.could u tell me where you got bushs from,i need both sides ,toyota only sel whole arms at £115 a side thanks

a good day for cheap fixes. yay !! :yahoo:

bodge ? i dont think so !!

hi gt4

im new here ,it seems u the man from posts ive read,i need advice,

rear swinging arm top bushs worn and knocking,

toyota wants £115 a side as a full arm set inc top and bottom bushs,

do you know where i can get them from cheaper

thanks

buna

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links