Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now What?

gramacar

Is that a permanent damage to the forum files?

Does thin mean that all the previous posts have

been lost? :crybaby:

Hope the problem is not too serious.

I wonder why they did not have a backup (or they did)

This is the first thing to do for any administrator.

cheers to all

see the general discussions

itll be back to normal as much as possible all in good time so be patient

:thumbsup:

I dunno...should invest in a Non Stop Himalaya Compaq Server..formerly none as Tandem. Zero down time Period.

sick to death of hearing excuses of ...oh the system Crashed in this day and age.

poor systems managed by poor users...ah well.

Hey! leave steve alone so what if it went down hes doing his best 2 sort it and the members make this site wot it is so b grateful,

three cheers for steve?

hip hip hooray!

hip hip hooray!

hip hip hooray! :hokus-pokus:

Nah it wasn't a pop....but these things shouldn't happen. People say..ah these things happen...that's computers for you.... etc etc.

It's like airports computers going down etc... ermm ever heard of UPS? or a Generator?

Always seems to be the most fundamental problem which brings society crashing to a halt.

I'm just lucky enough to work with Tandem's...and they have Zero down time...can upgrade replace CPU's disks/power supplies you name it on-line..without any service disruption. A CPU fails....swap it out..there was another doing the same thing which takes over seamlessly...a disk fails...big deal..it had a mirror. Get a decent backup solution...not one you do once a week...but a replicator to another system..so it's backed up on line...simple really. Don't rely on one Firewall...have a failover pair running over two switches. Don't have one internet gateway...have two..each going via different exchanges.

Some companies need a kick up the butt, before it's in the next days papers.

"Stock Exchange saw Computers "crash" crash I dunno! --- more likely someone messed up.

well that's all good and well if Steve had thousands of pounds to support that kind of backup i'm sure he would... in order to establish a system like that then a large percentage of all TOC members would need to go gold.. have u?

Steve pays 3 figures a month to keep the site up and running, I think he deserves a little slack.

so steve is paying £100 a month for the site?

he is a star we all owe him drinks at the next meet i believe,

ps going golds worth it just 4 the discount!

As far as I know Steve does not get paid for this. So just be glad someone is willing to put time and effort into something for nowt.

Granted gold membership costs £25, but I’ve saved over £300 from the advice alone on this forum, never mind the goldie discounts.

The site is only as good as its members; he needs our support not criticism

Surinder..

Exactly Surinder,

How people can criticise Steve for something they are getting free is beyond me.

I don't even use the gold discounts, I paid the 25 quid to support Steve for his efforts.

Any news about the disaster recovery?

I think that the forum is not the same anymore.

Tha participation is minimum. I think everybody is

waiting. :unsure::unsure:

While people seem quick to critisie the downtime and loss of data what they feel to realise is the fact that pretty much noone whose criticising the downtime is a gold member. Why do I bring that into it, well, if we had more goldies who brought money to the club, maybe we could afford a better server package, larger backup facility etc....

If your just logging on and using the forum as a general member isn't a bit hipocritical to blast the site....

While people seem quick to critisie the downtime and loss of data..........  If your just logging on and using the forum as a general member isn't a bit hipocritical to blast the site....

I did not critisized anything or anyone. I am just wondering

when the site is going to be up again. As for being gold

member, I live in greece so I think gold membership

is not going to offer me anything as it works mostly for

uk residents.

however there are a few members in greece there is no reason you cant go and find discounts in your country for those who live near you plus a lot of the companies with gold discounts are mail order and you can place orders over the net. plus you get the benifit of knowing that you are doing your bit for the club and its future...

rant over

ill agree with sam there. ive not used the gold yet.. i just got it when i did to show that i have support in the club. its only 25 quid a year anyway. thats nothing...

stop giving him slack. hes a nice bloke :D

Hey! leave steve alone so what if it went down hes doing his best 2 sort it and the members make this site wot it is so b grateful,

three cheers for steve?

hip hip hooray!

hip hip hooray!

hip hip hooray! :hokus-pokus:

Ditto :rolleyes:

Lets be honest, its not like TOC is a critical life or death facility, and a lot of people put a lot of time and effort into it behind the scenes.

Perhaps you shouldn't comment until 'you have walked a day in their shoes'...

Just my 2 cents...

While people seem quick to critisie the downtime and loss of data..........  If your just logging on and using the forum as a general member isn't a bit hipocritical to blast the site....

I did not critisized anything or anyone. I am just wondering

when the site is going to be up again. As for being gold

member, I live in greece so I think gold membership

is not going to offer me anything as it works mostly for

uk residents.

read my post mate, the advice on this site is worth a fortune and at the moment it's free.

maybe it should be locked away to gold members only, lets see for £25 you can find out how to

change springs

change shock absorbers

install ice here there and everywhere

fix scratches

install exhausts

etc..

and thats just for a yaris

not bad for £25, IMHO

Lets be honest, its not like TOC is a critical life or death facility...

speak for yourself, I mean! imagine having to do work whilst sat at my desk :blink::wacko:

Thanks to supporting members in my corner :thumbsup:

As in regards to the technology of the site server is nothing to do with the loss of the data. The server is based whithin a large scale NOC not in my my office by my feet. :unsure:

We run back ups and also have Raid, UPS.. well the list goes on.

The problem was we were about to run a back up and the program accidently deleted all the databases off the server. It was a human error.

As shaggy says "it wasnt me" and was my host who accidently deleted the files.

We are only 8 weeks behind.. not that much data was lost because i had personally backed up before. But the backups on the server were lost too

But I have come to the point that if you rely on something/someone it will bound to mess up.. So i have now taken more precautions myself to make sure a more up to date copy of these forums are available in case it happens again.

If members do not like that we lost data then you do not have to post here. Harsh it may seem but we have to be positive and not negative. In my 5 years working with servers this is the 1st time I have ever lost a large amount of data (inc LOC) So not bad going. A slip up always happen... find me someone who works in computing who has not lost anything.

TOC cannot afford a massive scale back up contingency... maybe in 12 months time.. until then we back up ourselves as much as possible.

So.. lets look forward to building this community instead of hitting the organisers with a ****ty stick!

A slip up always happen... find me someone who works in computing who has not lost anything.

So.. lets look forward to building this community instead of hitting the organisers with a ****ty stick!

I totally agree with U. As I said, you TOC guys have all my help from the distance to whatever it is necesary.

I'm not a gold member, but I'd like to became one ASAP.

There are some Banking restrictions in my country in terms of international transfers and staff i dont undertand, so anyone could help me to evaluate my options???

And Steve, You're the man!!! I certainly can say all TOC members appreciate your huge effort. Thanks mate

Cheers

Coyote from BA

Argentina

cool!! thanks for your appreciation!

I gave my support by joining gold & I dont even own a Toyota at the moment, but being a regular user of the site for some time I thought it was the least I could do.

Well done Steve, rather you than me!

as ive been saying wel done steve i a m most greatful as are many other users of the site

and surinder i havent used my discount yet

but have saved over £100 and i have only been a member a few months going gold just makes me feel part of a community part of a community im glad 2 b in your all real nice ppl! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: