Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lightened Flywheel

nik tsport blowa!

need to know how much to i can av taken off my fly wheel, took it to get done and they asked but dint av a clue,any one know, cheers :thumbsup:

need to know how much to i can av taken off my fly wheel, took it to get done and they asked but dint av a clue,any one know, cheers :thumbsup:

Erm... :blink: Surely it would be easier and safer buying a lightweight flywheel from a company? like Fidanza, TRD etc... as they have been purposely made from lighter materials. Or just visit their sites to get the specs?

Erm but will it be done correctly for £50? Surely cutting away original one will weaken it too much! Also needs to be made with the weight spread correctly so it doesn't wobble at high revolutions etc! The aftermarket ones are lightweight materials but with better strength as said by minidoughty. I think this is a bit dodgy mate!

If you've alread looked at the TRD you'll know it's 40% lighter than stock.

If you find out the weight of the stock one and then all you need to do is calculate 40% of the weight and then you'll know how much to take off.

You say it will be cheaper to bodge it, but it will cost more if you have to pay 50 quid, then 300 quid when the £50 job doesn't work.

if you get it done properly and take a sensible amount off theres no reason why it wouldnt be alright. i know someone who did it and theirs is fine. not on a yaris but still. a sensible amount was taken off, it was double checked that it was evenly balanced and its been on for over 6months now i think and nothing ever been an issue with it

The 40% lighter is a guide, but where you take the weight from relative to the centre point will affect the moment of inertia of the wheel.

And as has been said by others, can you take that much off a standard flywheel without weakening it to a dangerous level. If you can find someone else who has already done this to a standard Yaris flywheel you might get a guide of what is safe, but without that, I'd leave it well alone.

ask kevin at envy performance

• 2 months later...

from what i have read up a lightened stock flywheelis a much better bet for a road car as a 40% light wheel in the case of the trd one for example makes for poor road driveability. lose too much weight and sacrifice momentum, ability to maintain smoothe constant speed, loss of more speed than normal when hitting an up hill etc. Good for coming out of corners and getting on the power with fast respnse and flat out driving though.

I would go for lightened stock as long as it is done by somebody who lightens flywheels and isnt just a dude who knows how to operate a lathe.

It is something i intend to have dones as a matter of curiosity, I think the approach i will be taking is that TRD wheel is 40% lilghter so i am going to try i dunno maybe 25 percent.... and when it is off be advised that for the power the car is running the wheel is still strong enough where it matters by a man whos knowledge i will trust.

I whent to a place with my friend to have a quote for a remap on his impreza, they also did flywheel lightening and balancing.They said lightening is no problem at all, just cant go as light as an aftermarket one will.

DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get a standard flywheel lightened!

The lightenes flywheels you buy off the shelf are made of much stronger material and have been designed and optimised using FEA to ensure that they will not break.

I know of someone with a Mini hill climb car that had his fly wheel lightened.

Something hit the sump of his car whilst he was hill climbing which caused the flywheel to crack under the enormous forces which it sees at high RPM.

The flywheel tore through the car like a knife through butter.

The main problem on a mini is that the flywheel is in line with the driver.

I believe he was killed instantly.

£50 to remove some material from a standard fly wheel.

or £300 for a safe bought flywheel and keeping your life?

£250 isn't alot to pay to stay alive.

Please don't do it.

It could work and you could be fine but think of a ball on a piece of string... if you spin it around your head as fast as you can then let go it will go pretty far.

Now think of a lump of metal being rotated at 7000 RPM think of the momentum that bit of metal will have!

Most flywheels are cast which mean they have small defects and cracks within the material. if you machine them down then you could bring them to the surface and increase the stress concentrations around these areas.

This is a very long winded warning but please take heed!

Brad =)