Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Calipers Piston

carlos0296

Hello everyone love the site, I think it's well cool how much information their is on this site and how much support we give each other. This is my first post ever so take it easy with me as of about 2 weeks now I'm the vary proud owner of a 1992/Rev2/Black 2.0 Turbo and as I'm about to start my first real job on the car I felt now would be a good time to BRAKE the ice and make a post. I would like to changing the brake discs and pads which I now have and would like to change them myself as I have never trusted grages so let the work commence, as I have never done this before on a MR2 is their anything I need to know before I start, one thing I would like to know for sure is do the brake caliper piston on the 2's push back or turn back in order to make space to accept the new pads.

Regards

Carl :unsure:

Hi Carl and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

There is a detailed description how to change the MkIII discs and pads in this section HERE, I think they are similar but the dedicated MkII guys will probably put you right. One problem on the MkII calipers is the tendency for the sliders to seize although this is a bit of a pain it's not the end of the world.

Les

Hi Carl and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

There is a detailed description how to change the MkIII discs and pads in this section HERE, I think they are similar but the dedicated MkII guys will probably put you right. One problem on the MkII calipers is the tendency for the sliders to seize although this is a bit of a pain it's not the end of the world.

Les

Hi Les, :angel:

Thanks vary much for all you help I'll let you know how I get on after the weekend I’ll probably need it to recover! :crutchy:

Regards

Carlos

fronts push back , rears screw back , screw rears until they stop then screw out 1 full turn.

Ok job done I’m now vary happy with the feel and stopping power of my breaks which I was a bit disappointed with before plus I know they have been done correctly as I spent the time to do it right I also found a bonus point I no longer get any f**k*g vibrations in the steering wheel which was driving me mad, I kept getting the tracking done trying to resolve this issued with no joy (I really don’t know if I’m allow to say this but I think EBC Red Stuff pads are really good I also purchased some of then grooved discs for a bit of an upgrade) as I done the work myself this allowed for the saving so the price for upgrades were so painful only recommendation I would give to anyone doing this is have a can of WD40 to hand and please save yourself some time by buying the tool required to screw the rear piston back in I understand Hanford’s sell them as I found mine were a little hard and needed a second pair of hands on the job, you will not get the Caliper over the pads without getting them back don’t forget a little copper grease on the BACK of them pads and a little on the pistons.

Regards

Carl

The pistons should be able to move quite freely in the callipers. You should at least be able to use a pair of long-nosed plyers to get the rear pistons back in. Although the piston tool from Halfords makes it less fiddley. If the pistons/slides are really stiff, it's probably best to get a reconditioning kit from the likes of Brakes International (do a web search), stip down the callipers, renew the seals, free up the slides and pistons fully :thumbsup:

Also avoid using copper grease on sliding/moving parts as it will assist with premature seizing. Us a high temp White Lithium Grease or Red Lithium Grease. Brakes Intl. supply a white grease with their refurb kits made by Budweg which is about the best I have used so far :thumbsup:

Copper grease is OK on the hubs and rear of the brake pads/anti squeel shims.

Off topic,

I know Carlos through work, his MR2 is well mint!

Welcome to the club Carlos! :thumbsup:

Thanks,

JappyBeast! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got 4 or 5 tools for !Removed! the calipers in if anyone needs any. I've met Carlos too, he bought one of my clamping delimiters, top bloke.

I've got 4 or 5 tools for !Removed! the calipers in if anyone needs any. I've met Carlos too, he bought one of my clamping delimiters, top bloke.

He mentioned you a few weeks back, wondered what you were upto.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links