Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Landcruiser 3.0 D4d Engine Noise

ginter1234

HI ALL

I HAVE A 2003 LC3 D4D 3 LITRE. IT IS EXTREMELY NOISY WHEN IT IS COLD, IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH A LIFTER IS STUCK BUT THE NOISE IS ONLY REALLY BAD AT AROUND 2000 REVS. WHEN THE ENGINE WARMS UP THE NOISE IS HARDLY NOTICEABLE. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME THING OR KNOW WHAT CAUSES THIS, ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

CHEERS

PAUL

• 4 weeks later...
HI ALL

I HAVE A 2003 LC3 D4D 3 LITRE. IT IS EXTREMELY NOISY WHEN IT IS COLD, IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH A LIFTER IS STUCK BUT THE NOISE IS ONLY REALLY BAD AT AROUND 2000 REVS. WHEN THE ENGINE WARMS UP THE NOISE IS HARDLY NOTICEABLE. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME THING OR KNOW WHAT CAUSES THIS, ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

CHEERS

PAUL

Paul,

I have just picked up my 3.0 D4D Colorado. I am guessing same or v similar engine to yours. Fully serviced by Toyota before I picked it up from them. Engine noise? Oh yes! same as yours. Hush quiet when warm, at idle and cold a tad noisey...... especially when I leave the house for morning shifts :lol:

Dragon

Have you guys tried addtives for the hydrolic valves in the engine? to less down the sound of the valves ... good luck trying!!!

Ali Brunei Darussalam

Thanks for the replies guys. Its a small comfort to know its not just mine doing it. I flushed my engine out when changing the oil but it has made no difference. Not even sure if it is the hydraulic tappets. It would be nice to know a definate cause before stripping anything down. Please let me know if you find out any more info.

Kind regards, Paul

the noise your getting is more likley to be injector knock which is common on the toyota diesels at the moment the noise is worse when cold the fix is a set of new injectors and high pressure pipes im afraid

sorry lads

Well I'm not too downhearted as mine has a FTSH and was service by them. It's Toyota approved so has a comprehensive 12month warranty. I think it is a characteristic of the engine, but now I have doubt in my mind I'm going to listen to another one and see if there's much difference. I'll let you know.

Sounds like this could be an expensive fix for me. Does anyone know if this will cause damage to the engine if left. I really thought Toyota would have done better than this. I'm very disappointed after spending so much money to buy the car in the first place!

• 4 weeks later...

The 3 litre surfs knock on cold also,But not always . seems to come from the rear of the bulkhead looking at the engine.

SOUNDS LIKE TAPPETS TO ME .

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, mine has been left at Toyota for them to have a look abd listen. :unsure:

They are keeping it overnight so they can hear for themselves. My other concern is that the oil light now takes 6 seconds to extinguish. The level is spot on, the oil is new, serviced 2k ago by Toyota. Thanks for warranties. :D

Well guys, mine has been left at Toyota for them to have a look and listen. :unsure:

They are keeping it overnight so they can hear for themselves. My other concern is that the oil light now takes 6 seconds to extinguish. The level is spot on, the oil is new, serviced 2k ago by Toyota. Thanks for warranties. :D

Well guys, mine has been left at Toyota for them to have a look and listen. :unsure:

Hope they get to the bottom of this as nobody seems to know for sure! At least yours is under warranty though! Keep us posted.

• 5 weeks later...

had mine a week and have noticed the same thing noisy when cold and at low revs ,seems to get quieter when at higher revs .was told this is part of the characteristics of the car .mine has done 90,000 with full history . always thought tappets got noisier the higher you rev the engine .

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay in replying as I have been away and recon the old computer.

Well, took the bus into Toyota and yes, as suggested, one of the injectors was 'sticking' at cold. The staff were excellent and ordered the part plus a new motor for the lumbar support in the seat. Total cost of parts???? £1,200

The injector was replaced under warranty and to be honest - we trust the garages don't we - doesn't seem to have made the slightest difference!!! :(

I took it to France a couple of days later, she drove like a dream, returned about 33mpg and the same, even when we had emptied the L'Eclerc supermarket of their Xmas supply of Stella, Chardonnay,Shiraz and Champers!!

One big prob tho!

When I took the car in she would start from cold/warm/hot no problem. Since having her back, slower and slower as if the Battery was draining.

Eventually last week on a cold Welsh morning she died. RAC ( Toyota warranty) came to the house and diagnosed both batteries were dead. I am a cynic and I can't write what I think or feel but the replacement cost for both hurt.... a lot!!!

So in conclusion, the noise might be a characteristic, electric seats are hellish expensive to repair, if you are going to invade France take a Colorado ( or Prado) and if you have the means, write your reg. no. on expensive removable parts as a crime prevention measure. Try cloning a car where every part is marked!! :lol:

Sorry about the delay in replying as I have been away and recon the old computer.

Well, took the bus into Toyota and yes, as suggested, one of the injectors was 'sticking' at cold. The staff were excellent and ordered the part plus a new motor for the lumbar support in the seat. Total cost of parts???? £1,200

The injector was replaced under warranty and to be honest - we trust the garages don't we - doesn't seem to have made the slightest difference!!! :(

I took it to France a couple of days later, she drove like a dream, returned about 33mpg and the same, even when we had emptied the L'Eclerc supermarket of their Xmas supply of Stella, Chardonnay,Shiraz and Champers!!

One big prob tho!

When I took the car in she would start from cold/warm/hot no problem. Since having her back, slower and slower as if the battery was draining.

Eventually last week on a cold Welsh morning she died. RAC ( Toyota warranty) came to the house and diagnosed both batteries were dead. I am a cynic and I can't write what I think or feel but the replacement cost for both hurt.... a lot!!!

So in conclusion, the noise might be a characteristic, electric seats are hellish expensive to repair, if you are going to invade France take a Colorado ( or Prado) and if you have the means, write your reg. no. on expensive removable parts as a crime prevention measure. Try cloning a car where every part is marked!! :lol:

Hello again, thanks for the reply DragonCruiser, mine seems to keep going so will leave well enough alone (still annoying though)! Better luck to you in the future. Cheers.

HI ALL

CHEERS

PAUL

Hi Paul,

My Landcruiser is my second new one and this is very noisy after start up maybe for twenty minutes or more,sounds a lot like pinking but this one is 11mounths old and only 11K on it. I mentioned it to Totota salesman last week but he was non committal about it.

It would put me off a bit. I really like the car ,it is LWB LC4 auto and is a great lazy drive. Always does about 26.5mpg around town and maybe 30-31 on a run. Not too bad for a big lump of a 4x4.

regards

Len

Had mine checked by toyota and they say the noise is normal for the colorado d4d ,all i can say is after having a lexus for years it sounds like a tank . funny thing is both my batterys failed last week as well ..

Had mine checked by toyota and they say the noise is normal for the colorado d4d ,all i can say is after having a lexus for years it sounds like a tank . funny thing is both my batterys failed last week as well ..

Just to hijack this thread - my Hilux 3.0 D4D does this too, sounds like the big ends gone for the first 10 mins of driving but its apparently just a characteristic of the engine. Drive it harder (above 2500 revs) and the noise disappears. Use a thinner grade oil is supposed to help too.

Mine is a D4d has 900 miles on it and is the Noisiest diesel "when cold" that I have had, but silky smooth and quiet when warm, when I mentioned this at the dealers I was told "they all do that"

Just to hijack this thread - my Hilux 3.0 D4D does this too, sounds like the big ends gone for the first 10 mins of driving but its apparently just a characteristic of the engine. Drive it harder (above 2500 revs) and the noise disappears. Use a thinner grade oil is supposed to help too.

Update on this, the dealers listened to it again from cold and agreed this "isnt normal" so its booked in next week for the injectors replacing.... Dont believe them when they say they all do it!

Hiya JasXPear , you will have to keep us posted as to what happens. Hope the injectors cure it for you but don't get your hopes up too much!

To ginter1234,

Just came across your posting if allredy sorted Good Luck. From what i know of these engines it is a characteristic, it has no hydraulic tappets it is fitted with cam buckets with shims, shims vary in size to give correct clearance. Your exhaust valve clearance between shim & cam lobe can be up to 0.50mm. It may sound like a tiny clearance, but from cold until all parts are up to correct operating temperature makes all the difference. From cold that is a big clearance in relation to other vehicles. Thus the clattering noise.

To ginter1234, Beagh again just to point out shim & tappet system not fit & forget system. Not sure of your milage, but have a look through your service sheets Have your valve clearances been adjusted ever.

Dear Beagh1958,

I've not done anything with my engine yet as i've not been 100% sure what the exact problem is . This sounds as though it could be it, but why does it only do it at a certain rev range? My engine has done around 70,000 but I have no service history to check. Do you know how often these should be checked and what the clearence tolerences are? I assume the exhaust valves will be set to a greater clearence to the inlets? I have never worked on this type of valve gear before so am a little unsure as to what happens. Can you make your own shims to correct the clearences or do you need special ones, or is there some other way? Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate your help, and everyone elses who has bothered to post a reply. Thanks again, Paul.