Do Not Sell My Personal Information

E11 Upgrading Only The Rear Speakers

dvdmeister

Hey all

I know that ICE has been covered in many a thread on this forum, but since I'm trying to do something a bit different I thought I should probably make a new thread. Basically, the rear Speakers have been giving me a bit of jip just recently - I've had the covers off (I've got piccies if anyones interested in the how to on that - I was a bit stumped until I spent my 3 euros and downloaded the manuals from Toyota :) ) and have discovered that it seems to be the actual cones of the Speakers that are making the rattling/distorting sound at higher volumes, and if I rest my finger strategically on the cones round the edges I can stop it. However, rather than get into a serious bodging session to try and sort that annoyance out, I figured I might be better off swapping them for something else.

So - the question is - if I'm only (at this stage) going to upgrade the rears, and leave the stock front door Speakers and head unit as is, what would be a good choice of rear speaker to give me a bit of extra punch but to also blend well with the standard Toyota head unit and front speakers? I usually run with a bit of extra volume on the rears when I'm driving on my own, but I don't have a huge desire to get anything too mental audio wise, but I don't mind spending £60-£100 if its worth it. So long as it sounds decent and balanced and can drown out the road noise on the motorway (and doesn't make the crazy cone reverberation noises that I'm getting now) I'll be a happy man :)

Does anyone know the specs of the Toyota rear speakers incidentally? Are they 4ohm jobbies or is there any wierd impedance cack to deal with. I've measured the existing speakers and they seem to be 11cm diameter from the edges of the cone, so I'm assuming 4"/10cm speakers will be the order of the day for any replacements - I'm also not sure what speakers can easily mount to the strange triangluar mounting arrangement (3 mounting points round the cone at what looks like 1/3rd circumference offset), or if you just need to rip out the bracket from the existing speakers and bodge that on. I've also not measured the depth available for speakers, but it seems like there is quite a bit (although probably not at full cone width all the way down). Hopefully you guys and gals will have already been there and done that and will be able to tell me exactly what I'm looking for!

Cheers

Alex

hi

the only thing i can suggest if u are upgrading n ur price range is 60-100 u might as well do the lot 4 Speakers could only cost about 60 if u look in the rite placers i have fli- by vibe Speakers 16cm they cost 30 quid a pair n they got a lil kick to them but the sound is awsum i really do recommend them

Your Speakers have blown. They are paper cones after all. I replaced mine with 10cm Alpines. You won't get much "extra punch" in such small Speakers. What's annoying is that there isn't any other speaker with the same spacer holes. 13cms won't fit, so you will have to go with 10cm. I'd spend the money on the front Speakers where I think you will notice the real difference, although knowing Toyota, you may have to make your own mounts.

Hi Londoner - do you have a model no for the Alpines you recommend? Are we talking same kind of volume as OEMs but better quality sound? If you used them in an E11, what was the deal with the rear speaker mounting brackets?

I noticed the annoyance you mention - I feel the logic went something like "oh - look - we have a hole here with nothing in it - lets squeeze whatever strange sized Speakers we can get into it". I might do the front Speakers at some point, but having read people's past experiences of doing these, it seems like a bit of a pain in the ubik to a) get to them and b ) derivet and remount the new ones, and I don't have enough time at the mo to get into that (much as I might like to :) )

Carl sr - think I might have to do some serious remodelling of my car to get 16cm Speakers into the existing E11 rear speaker holes :) Does your car have rear door speakers, or did you mount the 16cm jobs into the parcel shelf?

if you want real sound get yourself a pair of Apline 6x9 Type R and mount them on your parcel shelf, they are the nuts!! :thumbsup:

the kick from them Speakers are unreal, best ice investment i ever made! im just running them of my headunit and they are loud enough as it is without distorting i.e when it reaches a threshold where the bass is sort of cut off but the mid is still ok! i think that function is for when you run the 6x9 in conjuction with a sub; to get the optimum performance the 6x9 is run purely for the mid range sound and the sub is, well, the bass obviously.

but on the front department, the Speakers sort of letting the overall sound down which is why i want to change the front ones too at some point, maybe some component Speakers! but as you, dvdmeister, said it does seem like a rite pain in the a$$ to change them which is the main thing thats putting me off trying to do it! but the front speakers isnt actually too bad, i have heard worse!! so im in no rush to change them just yet!

I bought these http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/p...cts_id/504.html , simply because I was on a budget and just wanted to balance the sound in the car. I really think you should update your front Speakers and install a decent headunit first. You will notice the difference. Only 1/2 screws will fit into the original OEM mounting hole at the back, so I had to create a customized mounting bracket.

Carl sr - think I might have to do some serious remodelling of my car to get 16cm speakers into the existing E11 rear speaker holes :) Does your car have rear door speakers, or did you mount the 16cm jobs into the parcel shelf?

ow i have an e12 lol and they are 16cm in the front n 13cms in the back i used the bracket built into the speaker just smashed the old speaker out but i do also have Speakers on my parcel shelf and i also have 12inch subs on way

i have fount out wid sum tinkering u can do a lot while still keeping the orignal head unit

• 1 month later...

Hi all - thought I'd resuscitate this thread to ask one very important question! I've bought a pair of the Alpine SPE-10C2 Speakers for the rear of my car, but having started pulling off trim, I'm not at the point of some serious head scratching. Basically I'm stumped as to how on gods earth you can get any screwdriver into the 3rd screw on the mounting bracket - I'm talking about the ridiculously placed one that is right up against the plastic trim section that goes around the quarter window and then back towards the rear windscreen. How have you all managed it? Do you have to remove the huage piece of trim that forms the mounting point for the Speakers and goes right back to the rear hatch opening? Is there some really wacky super low profile screwdriver that will do the job? I don't really want to take off more trim than I have to but its not looking good at the mo!

Cheers! :)

• 1 month later...
Hi all - thought I'd resuscitate this thread to ask one very important question! I've bought a pair of the Alpine SPE-10C2 speakers for the rear of my car, but having started pulling off trim, I'm not at the point of some serious head scratching. Basically I'm stumped as to how on gods earth you can get any screwdriver into the 3rd screw on the mounting bracket - I'm talking about the ridiculously placed one that is right up against the plastic trim section that goes around the quarter window and then back towards the rear windscreen. How have you all managed it? Do you have to remove the huage piece of trim that forms the mounting point for the speakers and goes right back to the rear hatch opening? Is there some really wacky super low profile screwdriver that will do the job? I don't really want to take off more trim than I have to but its not looking good at the mo!

Cheers! :)

Dunno mate, I'm about to replace mine too. I just pulled the arc-shaped trim off which runs over the Speakers in-line with the wheel arch(this the one you mean) Good choice of Speakers by the way. I went for Infinity myself. Let us know how you get on.

BTW i'll be doing my front door ones too soon. Not looking forward to it.....anyone have any mounting tips?!

• 1 month later...
Hmm.. I have E11 with original 16cm on the shelf..?

I tried to fit 6x9 - cannot be done. :)

Mine fit fine, I say get some nice 6x9's But I'd upgrade the headunit.

The E11 is bar far the easiest car I've fitted head units in.

Mine was £100 and it's got a USB port on the back, and a 40gig hard drive in the glove box :D

No ****** about with CD's