Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help With My Toyota Carina 2.0 Gli E

ybe

Hi There,

I am new this forum but I am hoping to get some advice. It is a bit of a long story.

I was at the taffic lights about to move off, then the car cut out. I kept trying to start the car but it would not start. I bought more petrol but it wasn't that. I called the AA man and he reckoned it might be the ignition coil as he had already checked the cam belt.

Unfortunately, I have found out that the coil is internal and you have to take the distributor cap off.

So far, I checked the ignition leads and one of them was highly corroded. I was hoping that this would be it, I bought new spark plugs and changed them and I bought new leads and changed those as well ( I am not sure if the leads are the correct ones).

Because of my attempts of starting the car, the Battery has been drained out.

After chnaging the plugs and leads, I tried to jump start the car numerous times but when I connect the jump leads to a car, the car alarm keeps going off. that is another probelm. Also Bear in mind , the alarm only started going off after I changed the ignition leads.

I need a couple of answers please.

1) How straight forward is it to change the internal ignition coil.

2) Does anyone know why the alrm keeps going off all of a sudden

3) If one of the ignition leads is really bad, could that affect it from starting?

4) How can I disconnect the alarm as I don't have a keppad and it has never gone off in the 9 months I owned it.

I look forward to the reply.

Thank you.

Darren

Hi There,

I am new this forum but I am hoping to get some advice. It is a bit of a long story.

I was at the taffic lights about to move off, then the car cut out. I kept trying to start the car but it would not start. I bought more petrol but it wasn't that. I called the AA man and he reckoned it might be the ignition coil as he had already checked the cam belt.

Unfortunately, I have found out that the coil is internal and you have to take the distributor cap off.

So far, I checked the ignition leads and one of them was highly corroded. I was hoping that this would be it, I bought new spark plugs and changed them and I bought new leads and changed those as well ( I am not sure if the leads are the correct ones).

Because of my attempts of starting the car, the battery has been drained out.

After chnaging the plugs and leads, I tried to jump start the car numerous times but when I connect the jump leads to a car, the car alarm keeps going off. that is another probelm. Also Bear in mind , the alarm only started going off after I changed the ignition leads.

3) If one of the ignition leads is really bad, could that affect it from starting?

4) How can I disconnect the alarm as I don't have a keppad and it has never gone off in the 9 months I owned it.

Thank you.

Darren

Hi There,

Thank you.

Darren

Hi, Darren. I don't know if this is your problem but I had an intermittant starting problem. It was diagnosed by the AA as a problem in the ignition coil area. It turned out to be a faulty igniter(ignition module)My friend had the same problem.We both own early Toyota Camry's,1984 & 1983. Information about checking the igniter can be found in the Haynes workshop manuals. Even the garage didn't diagnose the problem till it finally gave up the ghost.They are not cheap about £100 - £130 but relatively easy to fit(see Haynes manual)The igniter is a small electrical component in the electronic ignition and contains a power transistor which is probably the item that fails but can be intermittant.Hope this helps? Good luck Graham(Bournemouth)

Hi There,

Thank you for the reply.

Do you know if the part I need to replace is called the ignition module or if you have the haynes book what page do I need help in.

I have the blue book which covers toyota carona e 1992-1997.

Thanks

It might be a faulty alarm unit. The old fashioned T5000 model alarm was fitted to some of these, a black handset with a red and black button it it, I wonder if that is yours????? if it is, you cannot get them anymore, it needs removing and a new alarm fitting (or just remove it and leave it) The symptoms you describe are classic t5000 problems. Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi There,

Thank you.

Darren

Hi, Darren. I don't know if this is your problem but I had an intermittant starting problem. It was diagnosed by the AA as a problem in the ignition coil area. It turned out to be a faulty igniter(ignition module)My friend had the same problem.We both own early Toyota Camry's,1984 & 1983. Information about checking the igniter can be found in the Haynes workshop manuals. Even the garage didn't diagnose the problem till it finally gave up the ghost.They are not cheap about £100 - £130 but relatively easy to fit(see Haynes manual)The igniter is a small electrical component in the electronic ignition and contains a power transistor which is probably the item that fails but can be intermittant.Hope this helps? Good luck Graham(Bournemouth)

Hi There,

Thank you for your reply. I have been doing some ground work and I have the haynes book as well but I don't believe the carina works on the ignition module. It also doesn't say anything in the haynes book about the igniter and ignition module.

How frustrating

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links