Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica St182 Upgrade/fix

Jmc_uk

Hey peeps Would like to get some advise on the following please, hopefully gonna get some cash soon so I thought i'd treat my celica...she needs it!

EXHAUST: Has 2 holes in, one at the joint of the back box and more importantly one on the front/down-pipe, people who know 182's will know that the manifold has the 4 pipes coming down in a pair parallel to each other then theres the "front/down-pipe" which has the bendy hose bit on it :) and the middle silencer (no cat on mine pre '92). Now ive rang Mongoose and another company to see if they make a whole system including the "front/down-pipe" and they say NO!

Simple question is what the hell do I do? I can get a patent part but kinda negates any performance and reliability increase :/

BRAKES: Either uprated or some decent quality but reasonably priced replacements (Discs AND Pads)

AIRFILTER: Induction Kit? Replacement Panel Filter? I want a nice induction sound :)

Think thats it for now, thanks in advance!

Jmc

Hi Mate :)

Exhaust- you have 3 options I know of with regards the downpipe. Either have a custom one built which wil cost much ££££, get a brand new one from toyota- which has a price tag of £200, or risk a sceond hand one off a scrap car- theres no way of telling how long this will last though. I tried finding a pattern part but had no luck, so ended up biting the bullet and going for the toyota item. As for performance increase with regards the downpipe, you'll be doing well to beat the stock item at a reasonable price in all honesty. As you've already said its a 4-2-1 tubular steel system, which is pretty efficient as is. I have heard of people changing to 4-1 systems for top end power, but I imagine that would be very expensive. For the rest of the system as you have said there is the mongoose route, scorpion used to make an off the shelf system but you'll be lucky to find anywhere that has one in stock. And then of course theres the powerflow / top gear etc custom route.

Brakes> if you want uprated pads and discs there are a few options avaliable from the usual suspects, pagid, EBC, black diamond etc.

Filter> again there are a few options, Blitz / K&N / RamAir do a specific induction kit, and the same manufacturers along with TRD do a replacement panel filter. Lots of people say that the induction kit saps a bit of power as it takes hot air from the engine bay, but they do give a nice induction noise.

I used to have a K and N induction kit in my Gen 5.......sound sweet as a nut, but I wasnt to fussed about lacking power, she could shift enough for me!!!!

It's amazing what a difference to the sound of the car that the k&n (and probably other manufactureres) induction kit makes, it sounds a hell of a lot meatier, especially from around the 4000rpm mark. I haven't noticed any loss in power and the car feels slightly more responsive, but it might just be a trick of the mind from the added induction roar. The k&n does come with a flexi hose to direct cool air to the filter, I'm not sure whether other manufacturers do or not. I mainly do short journeys so might not notice the heat soak.

I've got black diamond drilled and grooved discs and pagid pads from fensport all round on mine and they feel much better than what was on the car before, but put a sizeable dent on the bank balance. But when I got the car the discs and pads were well worn already. I think the discs were standard and I'm not too sure on the pads as they had some bizzare writing on them and the non-breaking surface was red. The brake dust from this combo is insane, my front wheels look grey/black most of the time!

Ive found a patent part @ £72+VAT think ill go for that and paint it with that heat paint stuff to help stop it goin again tho they are usually ok at the downpipe for at least 100k...

www.buypartsby.co.uk

superb webby for patent part etc! defo recommend

Thanks for ur advice, much appricated.

Jmc

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links