Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Technical Help

Neil1982

I have recently come across a problem in which i havd to remove the head due to two very small bolt that went down the inlet manifold and just wanted to know if i could get away with replacing two pistons instead of four. the cylinder bore seems to be ok but the top of two of the piston seems to be a bit damaged,

I have recently come across a problem in which i havd to remove the head due to two very small bolt that went down the inlet manifold and just wanted to know if i could get away with replacing two pistons instead of four. the cylinder bore seems to be ok but the top of two of the piston seems to be a bit damaged,

How bad is 'a bit damaged' provided the bores and the piston skirts/sides/rings are ok you'll probably get away with carefully cleaning the piston crowns up. If it were me and I had to replace any I would do the whole set.... But it's not really necessary. :)

I have taken some pic's tell me what you think !

post-43779-1187892683_thumb.jpg

The other bore is a little worse.

also a guy told me at work if i level up the pistons and pour petrol into them right to the top and if any go down faster than the other it means the piston rings are leaking.

here are the pic's after 15 mins.

post-43779-1187893082_thumb.jpg

post-43779-1187893118_thumb.jpg

To my mind that doesn't look at all bad. Remove any high spots or rough surfaces with some wet & dry (Avoid rubbing the cylinder wall) and polish with some autosol. you should end up with a perfectly servicable piston.

Was there any damage to the valves or cyl head? if so clean them up also. I suspect the valves will be fine but check the valve seats for pitting anyway. Now would be a good time to lap them in anyway.

As for the petrol test. Again there's no significant problem there. You'll get differing results between the pistons due to a build up of varnish and carbon on the rings and in the ringlands anyway. If it disappeared in a minute or so, then you would have cause for concern. :)

once you've rebuilt it do a compression test just to make sure everything is hunky dory. ;)

I managed to pic up a new cylinder head for £77.00 with all the valves and cams cus the i think the old one is a bit damaged, i have got pic's but there 2.7mb so its to big to post on here. so do you think all i need to do then is just to do then is just clean the piston crown up there is no damage to the cylinder bore so i should get away with it.

I managed to pic up a new cylinder head for £77.00 with all the valves and cams cus the i think the old one is a bit damaged, i have got pic's but there 2.7mb so its to big to post on here. so do you think all i need to do then is just to do then is just clean the piston crown up there is no damage to the cylinder bore so i should get away with it.

yes. Should be fine. I've had worse and ended up with a sweet motor. :-)