Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gears Clicking/crunching When Changing To 3rd

digginz

Hi all,

Im new to these forums :D

I have a 96 Celica ST202 - Sometimes when i change up or down to 3rd gear it makes a clicking/slight crunching sound.

Does anyone know why this maybe happenning as is only happens when changing to 3rd.

Any info would be great

Sounds like the 3rd gear syncro ring maybe worn and it just snags when going into gear, also, check you dont have a thick carpet under the clutch pedal, restricting how much pedal travel you have, sounds daft but ive seen peeps with about three carpets in the drivers well to save wear on the main carpet......pah! Kingo :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes i think it could also be the clutch - I had a chat with a mechanic who advised unable to determine if it is the syncro ring or clutch untill it is opened up.

Hey thanks for the tip but im unable to view the link - Something about this page has expired.

I only have problems when shifting to third gear, Reverse is fine.

I had a chat with my uncle who is also a mechanic and he said it looks like a Syncro ring in the gear box is worn.

As my fault only happens now and then it should be OK.

Does yous crunch on every gear or is it intermittiant like mine?

Mine only happens shifting up into third and its intermittiant like yours, a little hard getting into reverse sometimes (Just pop it into 4th then straight into reverse).

Im going to change the Gear oil and possibly get the Syncro ring checked. Its not that major of a problem right now, but i will get it sorted out.

I suppose getting it sorted before it does any more dammage would be a good idea, just need to get a few pennies together.

Let me know how you get on with it anyway, and ill do the same.

hhmmm....this was interesting reading....i have a gen 4 celica so obviously older than yours and mine does the same thing...slight clink, on and off crunch going into 3rd and most often than not also going into reverse...she has a new clutch so i know its not that...a mate is having a good look around her 2moz while shes having a service so if he comes up with why she does it then i shall post in here...but i get a feeling it may be just a common fault on them??

I had a problem shifting down to 3rd on my last car (Mr2 Turbo), but never up.......its a strange one which id love to fix, even though it doesnt happen that often at the min.

well shes had a full service and a thorough check over (everything got checked) and everything is fine so looks like it could be just a common fault with them.

Mine does the exact same thing, only crunches when shifting down from a higher gear into 3rd. Common fault or clutch maybe?

new clutch on mine...well afew months old so not the clutch

I had a chat with my Uncle (Mechanic) who advised it shouldnt be a common problem, he has a GT Four and his gear box is fine, although im not sure if the GT fours have the same gear boxes as the standard ones.

He said it would be cheaper and easyier to install a new gear box completly rather than having the Syncro Rings checked out, - The price on labour is cheaper to install a new gear box rather than openining it up...

Yes i also noticed in some cases it was hard to me to shift to reverse - Had to de-clutch a few times to get into reverse... Although i thought it was a commom thing with all manual cars.