Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear View Camera

JHRC

I am in the process of installing a rear view camera to my 2006 XT5 which is already prewired to the inside of rear door and connects by a S7 socket, but I need a S7 plug. Can buy this part on its own or do I have buy the camera complete with S7 plug. Already have a camera that I purchased from eBay which intend fitting near the number plate. :help: :help: :help:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shcm

• JHRC

• anchorman

• Fujisan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, as I recall Dutchrav was on here and Rav 4 World recently asking about reversing

cameras. I dont think he got an answer, as few members have actually done it. If I

were you I would do a google search to find some of the companies that supply these

parts (there are a few) and ask them for info. ;)

Good luck,

Dave.

Hi, as I recall Dutchrav was on here and Rav 4 World recently asking about reversing

cameras. I dont think he got an answer, as few members have actually done it. If I

were you I would do a google search to find some of the companies that supply these

parts (there are a few) and ask them for info. ;)

Good luck,

Dave.

Thanks for your input Dave, I've read Dutchrav's thread, and he didn,t get much feed back either.

I Though that parts-king would have solved my problem, as other toyota models have rear view camera fitted e.g. land cruiser, prius, also lexus models

Although there must alot of members interested in fitting a camera, going by the number of readers to this thread.

I did come across a web site G-net in Canada who do an add-on for dvd players to sat nav systems, which you can add a rear view camera.

I will let you know if and when I make any progress.

Thanks Jim ;) ;) ;)

Hello JHRC,

If it is any help, the part number for the vehicle harness end connector appears to be 90980-12382. Of course, you want the camera end part number, which I don't seem to be able to find at the moment :( .

I can suggest a number of things:

1. Quote the vehicle end connector part number to your dealer and see if he can match it up with the other mating half (though I don't know whether dealers sell just connectors, I know they sell harness adapters etc).

2. Sometimes connector manufacturers like Tyco or Amp (I don't know who makes the Toyota connector), will do equivalent parts. As a long shot, if you can get hold of a friendly sales rep, they might be able to sort something for you.

3. If you can stand to do it (potential warranty and all that), and you know both camera pinout and car end pinout (I have the car end details for a 4.3 if you need it) remove the car end connector and use something else.

I have effectively done No.3. I plan to use the video input for a car 'puter display (it works - already tested it and it saves me installing another display) and/or a reversing camera. The car 'puter display will be a bit grainy but will be good enough for me.

What I would really like to know is if any of the spare connections on the navigation unit are something like vga inputs, but I don't seem to be able to find that out at the moment!

Oh, a little tip, I'm fairly certain both video signal ground and camera supply ground have to be connected together. I believe this is how the nav unit detects whether a camera is connected or not. It may not be a problem if your camera connects them internally anyway, but it can be a problem with other video sources.

The nav unit does both NTSC and PAL video.

Let me know if you need more help.

Cheers

I know I only have to ring a dealer and ask, but if I went ot a dealer and say i want the rear view camera from a Landcruiser, for example, fitted to my RAV, would they do it? i guess it'll depend on the dealer, and probably cost £££'s

Actually, thinking about, what if I say i want the camera system from a Euro RAV, as I believe it's available in Europe?

Had avoided reading this topic until now because a lad in work on overtime was bending my ear about how he's fitted a rear view camera (as well fitting reversing sensors) to his wife's Boxster!

Good God a Boxster! :wacko: Turnaround and you can touch the back bumper! :ffs:

Well now that he's fitted the camera and the, I think it's a pop-up screen, he said, his next bit of bodgery is fitting a Freeview box so that she can enjoy a nice bit of telly! :jawdrop:

His only problem now was finding an digital aerial that could pick up every possible channel......while on the move! :death:

Don't ask how he can afford a Boxster........he has a debt that would keep South American governments awake at night!

I am still busy to get a camera pic out of the Satnav!!

PAL camera´s does NOT work...maybe a NTSC will do. I have one now, just have to test it.

G-Net converters and all other suppliers of that kind of equipment say all it does not work on European Satnav units. It is because it is all build in the unit. These converters can only be used if the GPS-box (DVD player) is a seperate unit located under the seat or in the trunk. For me too expensive to buy one and try it..

Original a 10-pin connector is used for a camera (Landcruiser, Prius, etc) but this one works with RGB signal. Searching the web i read that a 4-pin connector is normally used for the ´aftermarket´ camera wires. Have access to many wiring diagrams but have not found one using the 4-pin connector.

@ shcm : Same ground for camera and 12v power sound a bit strange to me.

Ground on the vehicle is ground, in the end it will all come together at the - of the Battery.

The camera is 12v powered by the reversing lights, the other two wires have to be connected to the satnav unit.

For switching the display to camera mode there is another reversing wire connected to the satnav unit.

I think we are in danger of getting a little confused. So perhaps I can try to clarify (most likely confuse further) things a bit.

DutchRav - I can only comment on the nav/head unit and camera connections on a 4.3 RAV, i.e. B9004 head unit, which is the only one I have experience of and I believe is the one JHRC is asking about. I think you are trying something similar with a 4.2 RAV, head unit B9003???

Everything below refers to the B9004 unit. This is how I believe it works:

There are six signals to/from the head unit which are involved:

BTCY : back door courtesy switch on pin 1 of 24 way head unit connector E54 (light green wire)

REV : reverse gear select on pin 5 of 5 way head unit connector E57 (red wire)

CGND : camera supply ground on pin 21 of E54 (red wire)

V+ : camera video signal on pin 22 of E54 (white wire)

V- : camera video signal gnd on pin 23 of E54 (a screen/braid wire)

CA+ : camera positive supply on pin 24 of E54 (a black wire)

Four of these wires are connected to the S7 camera connector (a 6 way connector) at the rear of the vehicle. Those that connect are:

CGND : connects to CGND on S7 (pin 3)

V+ : connects to CV+ on S7 (pin 2)

V- : connects to CV- on S7 (pin 1)

CA+ : connects to CB+ on S7 (pin 4)

pins 5 and 6 on S7 are unused.

When reverse gear selection is detected via REV, 6 Volts is supplied from the head unit to the camera via CA+ (CB+) and CGND. The camera video signal is input to the head unit via V+ and V-. If the back door is detected open via BTCY, then if reverse is also selected at the time, then a door open message is displayed on the head unit in place of the camera video signal.

For a non-Toyota after-market camera, it is likely to require a 12V supply and not the 6V supply that the Toyota camera would appear to accept. That is why people will take the 12V supply from the reversing light supply, for example, and not the head unit.

With reverse selected, the head unit displays a "Check Surroundings For Safety" message superimposed at the bottom of the camera video image.

In the 4.3 XT5 and T180, the camera harness is already in place and all that is needed is the camera connecting to S7. However, if the camera is not connected (default for current UK models) it is probably not desirable to display a blank screen (i.e. no camera - so no picture!) with the "safety" message, every time you use reverse. You therefore need a way to detect that the camera is fitted. My first assumption was that the head unit probably detected the video sync pulses from the camera, but is simpler than that. Without the camera connected, V- floats (or is pulled up) at about 3V. When the camera is connected, V- is connected to CGND internally in the camera and this condition is detected by the head unit. DutchRAV - this is what I meant by the grounds being connected. I have confirmed this by connecting CGND and V- together without a camera/video source connected and I get a blank screen with safety message as expected.

b9004-blank.jpg

If you connect an after-market camera power input to say 12V reverse light supply and a body ground and the video signal output to V+ and V-, then yes, most likely, V- will get pulled to gnd in the camera and it should work.

The B9004 does work for me with either a NTSC video source or a PAL video source - I have tried both.

This is PAL:

b9004-pal.jpg

This is NTSC

b9004-ntsc.jpg

although I have to admit, the NTSC does strangely give better colour balance.

This one just shows the extra display adjustments you get when the camera/video source is active:

b9004-cam-controls.jpg

If anybody is still awake this far, and you have the rear seat DVD entertainment thing installed in your 4.3, perhaps you would be good enough to let me know whether it plays audio and/or displays video on the head unit (B9004). If it does display DVD video (maybe when parked?), then this would give me a very useful pointer that the head unit can display other video sources apart from via the rear camera input.

Phew!

Any clearer? I guess not!

Cheers

I would just like to declare shcm as my official consumer electronics guru.

If he can do that above - "he my man"!!

I would just like to declare shcm as my official consumer electronics guru.

If he can do that above - "he my man"!!

Hey Anchorman Thanks!

:blush:

Not sure I'm worthy of such an accolade from the great Anchorman!

Anyway, better stop this mutual ego stroking right now - people will begin to talk!

Hi, shcm this is the best information I have read so far, and hadn't realised that it was only 6 volts from the sat nav unit. You must have spent a lot time :Dstudying the drawing and testing to deliver this excellent information.

Also like to thank all the other members for their comments and information, their help is much appreciated. :D :D

JHRC, dont you think this forum is bloody brilliant :rolleyes: all this help and info.

And its free :) doubt wether the dealers could come up with solutions as quick.

Keep it up guys :clap:

Dave.

I have a t180 56 plate (I assume this is the 4.3 rav) Could you show me where the camera connector is via a pic if possible please.

Hi shcm, I,ve come across this web site that could be of interest to you, in fitting DVD/TV to your sat-nav screen.

www.driveandview.com they are based in Bournemouth/Poole and have converted quite a few Jap cars, including Rav4.

:P :P :P :P

Hope this helps

jim

I have a t180 56 plate (I assume this is the 4.3 rav) Could you show me where the camera connector is via a pic if possible please.

Hi fatskater,

Here are photo's showing connector position.

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/j...nt=P1000566.jpg

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/j...nt=P1000568.jpg

http://http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=P1000567.jpg

I hope this come out OK as I am not very good at down loading photo.

The expert can give me some tips, sorry no trains :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Guys,

I have just fitted a very simple set up on my MR2 but does not incorporate any factory parts what so ever.

I bought this camera for £13,

3c80_1.JPG

And very simply wired the positive and negative into a switch on the dashboard wired to the Battery.

Then with a 5 meter single RCA lead (also from ebay)

fa67_1_b.JPG

Connected the camera to my in dash LCD screen. Not sure if your screens in the Rav 4 has an RCA input?

dash1.jpg

cam1.jpg

Not sure if any of the above helps as its a pretty easy install, the hardest part was getting the wires from the back of the car to inside the cockpit.

Andy

Thanks Jappy, this one looks pretty straight forward. May even have a go at it myself.

Dave. :thumbsup:

Its defo worth it, can imagine its advantagous on a large vehicle. Looks snazzy too when driving along.

Hi shcm, I,ve come across this web site that could be of interest to you, in fitting DVD/TV to your sat-nav screen.

www.driveandview.com they are based in Bournemouth/Poole and have converted quite a few Jap cars, including Rav4.

:P :P :P :P

Hope this helps

jim

Thanks for the link Jim - Interesting. I wonder if they hack the head unit about or whether they know some secrets about unused connectors.

Connected the camera to my in dash LCD screen. Not sure if your screens in the Rav 4 has an RCA input?

Effectively it does. If you solder a phono plug between V+, V-/CGND, (which is what I have done), then with a supply to the camera I'm 90% certain this would work for the 4.3.

Cheers

DutchRav - I can only comment on the nav/head unit and camera connections on a 4.3 RAV, i.e. B9004 head unit, which is the only one I have experience of and I believe is the one JHRC is asking about. I think you are trying something similar with a 4.2 RAV, head unit B9003???

Yes, i have a B9003 unit used in RAV 4.2 and Corolla.

• 1 month later...

Hi There,

I would realy like to carry this mod out on my 06 xt5. The images below are not showing is it possible to fix them or email them to me perhaps?

as I have no idea where the S7 connector would be located

Thanks in advance

Joe

Hi fatskater,

Here are photo's showing connector position.

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/j...nt=P1000566.jpg

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/j...nt=P1000568.jpg

http://http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=P1000567.jpg

I hope this come out OK as I am not very good at down loading photo.

The expert can give me some tips, sorry no trains :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JHRC will need to upload the photo's again to his photobucket account....as they are not there now, that's why you cant see them....

Hi There,

I would realy like to carry this mod out on my 06 xt5. The images below are not showing is it possible to fix them or email them to me perhaps?

as I have no idea where the S7 connector would be located

Thanks in advance

Joe

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately I am not home till Friday and must have deleted S7 photos by mistake and will upload them again with more details I made to use the original socket.

I also used a ntsc ccd camera as this gave clear and colour perfict picture.

Cheers Jim.