Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uneven Tyre Wear Cause?

chris.mac

Hi

I've a 1.6 '03 corolla, both front tyres appear to be starting to wear quicker on the outside edges, d/s/f tyre more so than n/s/f, on a level road if I let steering settle itself it almost always pulls to right (the s/wheel is dead on), if I make a very minor adjustment of s/wheel to the left it runs true, there's no excessive vibration of wheels at speed and the car brakes in straight line.

Is it tracking or alignment or worse!!! Advice, Garage Recommendations for Middlesbrough area?

Thanks in advance

• 5 months later...
Hi

I've a 1.6 '03 corolla, both front tyres appear to be starting to wear quicker on the outside edges, d/s/f tyre more so than n/s/f, on a level road if I let steering settle itself it almost always pulls to right (the s/wheel is dead on), if I make a very minor adjustment of s/wheel to the left it runs true, there's no excessive vibration of wheels at speed and the car brakes in straight line.

Is it tracking or alignment or worse!!! Advice, Garage Recommendations for Middlesbrough area?

Thanks in advance

I'm pretty sure that'll be wheel alignment.

• 4 weeks later...

without trying to sound cheeky, try it with a passenger in the front passenger seat and if that helps at all then it's probably more suspension than alignment

• 2 months later...
without trying to sound cheeky, try it with a passenger in the front passenger seat and if that helps at all then it's probably more suspension than alignment

Do you know the history of the car? has it been in any accidents or had the wheels curbed hard. Running up and down pavement edges doesn't help!.Has it had new shocks or suspension?...could have been incorrestly installed or poor quality pattern parts.....

More alarming is the pulling to one side. its easy to centre the wheel up for someone who doesn't know whats caused the poor alignment...they just centre the whole rack and adjust both sides to make it straight. (not the correct method!)

You're best off getting it 4 wheel lazer aligned. That'll show which wheel's at fault :o

Hi

Thanks in advance

just get it tracked and aligned just to be safe.. should be ok after that!

i need to do mine having got a new set of wheels

Tracking or suspension related. We had a Type R that had to have the whole front suspension replaced (under warranty though) because it was out. It caused uneven wear on front tyres.

• 3 weeks later...

My last car had horrendous wear difference in the inside of both tyres, didnt notice until it was too late, turned out the track rod ends (tracking arms) themselves needed replaced, so i'd guess if its minor wear its just re-aligning needed, bad = rod ends

Hi All

Apologies for delay in reply, after all its only been 10months! Just to keep you upto date, I ended up taking the car to an independant local tyre dealer who re-aligned tracking for £25, he visually checked suspension and said nothing looked out of place i.e. bent/worn/damaged and then stuck a metal arm gizmo on each wheel (with mirrors n possibly laser I think) and this was connected to a PC. He said tracking was out, readjusted it and it was much improved. He said while there was visible uneven wear on tyre edges they had plenty on em and were legal and didn't require changing and after the re-adjustment they'd wear down pretty much even-which they have. Still had v.minor drift to right and also self-centring seemed less pronounced but for £25 I was more than happy with it.

Now at point where new front tyres are required so I'm gonna get tracking checked again at same time. Just out of curiosity what tyre did toyota put on as standard on the corrolla? Mine are currently 195/60/15V Dunlop Sport 200e's n I'm going for another pair on front.

Just out of curiosity what tyre did toyota put on as standard on the corrolla?

They did use Dunlops when i first got my car, many years ago now, but have to say, i hated them.

On the dry, they were ok at best but still could slide even so.

In the wet, i think i would of been safer on a pair of rollerskates, they were lethal, aquaplanning something rotten and wheel spinnning everytime i pulled away from rest, not good.

Changed to Goodyears next, much better tyre, but with my driving style i wore them out in 18months

Now on Michelin's, while so far surviving my driving ability's.

Bing

:thumbsup:

Mine came with Pirelli p6000 but they were crap, i now use Michelin :thumbsup: but thats cos i can get 4 at £138.18 :D and £30 fitting :P not bad really!

• 1 month later...

Hello

I'm a tyre fitter, that problem is down to tracking(wheel alignment). Take it to your local tyre fitter and they should be able to track it up for you.

Its an easy job and shouldn't cost too much to do.

Tracking gets put out by, speed bumps, pot holes, c=kurbs, all sorts. You should generally get the tracking checked every 4 - 6 months,

just read your long reply about having the tracking checked haha, served me right for not reading haha.

If the car is still drifting then the tracking hasn't been done properly.

Take it back and they shoudl put it right for you.