Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St202 Suspension Maintenance

ColinC

I'd like to be able to work on my cars suspension, e.g. change suspension components, shocks, springs, struts, etc. do any of you know any good online guides for the standard UK Gen 6 GT?

If you were to recommend a haynes manual, I guess the ST185 manual, or the Carina one would be closest to the UK GT suspension?

Bear in mind, I'm a total novice and don't know one part of the suspension from the next, so I need very detailed / basic instructions :)

I think you can get a US Chilterns Manual for your car. Everything will be similar - except some things will be backwards and they use different engines

whatever happens goodluck in removing the rear anti roll bar link arms - most people use an angle grinder on them and buy 2 new arms at about £50 a corner.

I'd like to be able to work on my cars suspension, e.g. change suspension components, shocks, springs, struts, etc. do any of you know any good online guides for the standard UK Gen 6 GT?

If you were to recommend a haynes manual, I guess the ST185 manual, or the Carina one would be closest to the UK GT suspension?

Bear in mind, I'm a total novice and don't know one part of the suspension from the next, so I need very detailed / basic instructions :)

Changing shocks and springs is NOT for a novice, it requires a level of knowledge and skill, plus tools, otherwise you may do yourself some damage, let alone the car, my advice would be to get some lessons in first, or find yourself a knowledable friend who can show you whats what first. I'm all for DIY but you must have an understanding of what your doing. Kingo :thumbsup:

whatever happens goodluck in removing the rear anti roll bar link arms - most people use an angle grinder on them and buy 2 new arms at about £50 a corner.

or buy a pair for £7.50 from eBay :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-CARINA-E-CELI...8QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a guide @ 6gc.net

http://www.6gc.net/howto/install_coilovers_or_springs

when putting the front springs on make sure you align the top mount with the arrow pointing towards the outside of the car or you will get all sorts of strange noises lol

strut.jpg

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it!

Yeah, I'll probably just change some of the easier bits and pieces before I go for the advanced stuff, I don't feel very confident about taking my cars suspension apart cos I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to put it back together.

But I've ordered the Chiltons Manual from the US and will be interested to have a look at it and see if there is any stuff I can do...