Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina E Elec Window Mech N/s/r

flexy7

• 5 weeks later...

I have a '95 Carina e estate,The cable on my n/s/r electric window mechanism has snapped & I was wondering if the mech on the hatchback rear windows is the same (As these seem to be the only ones available at breakers) I don't suppose anyone knows if the cables are available seperately at a reasonable cost?

I have had two break on my 96 1.8. The wire rusts and snaps. Toyota price at the time was £220.00 plus vat each. Toyota told me you can't buy just the wire and plastic bit, you have to buy the motor as well. I found a breaker that also sold pattern new parts who sold them for £96.00 inc.vat. This had a worm drive in place of the wire and appeared better made. Try Kirton Motors Spares at Crediton, Devon.

The 4dr saloon and Estate are the same, NOT the liftback. You cant buy just the cable, it comes with a motor, prices as above

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

• 4 weeks later...
:o One final point,which is most irritating,the cable is fairly easy to remove (Just nipples on each end of the cable,wrapped around & clipped into the nylon wheel behind the cover on the motor (3 torx screws) You would think Toyota would make the cables available for replacement seeing as the motor rarely fails, & to purchase the complete mech is so expensive !(Maybe I just answered my own question!) N.B: I couldn't simply swap cables this time as being different mechs the cables were different lengths. :(

Considering that both the inner and outer cables are standard industrial items, it's a pity that somebody doesn't make repair kits.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I've repaired, (bodged), mine using a bicycle inner cable at a cost of 99 pence.

Not sure it's going to last very long though.

Mine is 1996 1.8 Carina Hatchback and it had Bosch fitted on that door.

It winds up smoothly but seems a bit jerky on the way down, but then I think it was before.

The other 3 seem smoother, don't know if they are Toyota units or Bosch. I may find out if I decide to lubricate them before they break. Depends on how successfull I have been at resealing the damp-membrane on this door.

Anyway 99 pence for a cable, £220 for new unit, reckon it's worth a go!

Kev

1996 Carina E 1.8 Hatchback

Hi, I've repaired, (bodged), mine using a bicycle inner cable at a cost of 99 pence.

Not sure it's going to last very long though.

Mine is 1996 1.8 Carina Hatchback and it had Bosch fitted on that door.

It winds up smoothly but seems a bit jerky on the way down, but then I think it was before.

The other 3 seem smoother, don't know if they are Toyota units or Bosch. I may find out if I decide to lubricate them before they break. Depends on how successfull I have been at resealing the damp-membrane on this door.

Anyway 99 pence for a cable, £220 for new unit, reckon it's worth a go!

Kev

1996 Carina E 1.8 Hatchback

Thanks for the suggestion. I found somebody on eBay who seems to do pattern parts for Toyotas

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:B:WNA:GB:1120

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/THE-MOTORIST-WAREHOUSE-CAR-PARTS

HTH

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem - the cable has snapped on the drivers door - Carina E Estate. Not surprisingly, my local breakers

yards have sold out of assemblies for the drivers side, but there are some available for the passenger side. One breaker is telling

me that I can't take the cable from the passenger side and fit it to the driver side - he said I'd end up breaking the cable.

If I understand the posts here correctly, then I should be able to take the cable from the passenger door of an estate or saloon and fit it

in the driver door of an estate. Can anybody confirm this before I try ? Many Thanks.