Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Xt-r: Life Without A Spare Wheel

alfa_forever

Dear All,

This is my first post here and I would like to take the opportunity to say 'Hi' to everyone and thank you for the great forum this one is!

I would also take the opportunity to ask you a piece of advice regarding the RAV4 XT-R and the lack of a spare wheel....

What sort of range the tools provided will give you in case of a puncture?

What happens then? Fix the tyre or change it with a brand new one?

My apologies for my ignorance... I am seriously pondering of buying the XT-R, however I wanted to understand the implications....

All the best to all of you.

Ciao

Alfa_Forever

PS: Alfa_Forever.... yes my first ever car was an Alfa Romeo

Hi, a bit of a hot debate on here this one. Concensus of opinion is that the foam you pump

into the tyre to reflate it after a puncture renders it unrepairable. Allthough I dont think

any members have actually done a thread after getting a puncture.

One suggestion to get round this was to buy a spare and keep it at home or in the boot

depending on mileage you do, and how much space you need in boot. I have never actually

seen the under floor area of a Mk 3 Rav (4.3). But some members have suggested modifying

it to make room for a spare. Also worth bearing in mind, if you are only buying an XTR

because the tailgate opens fully, you can buy a door checkstrap conversion kit for £50.

This fits any model and makes the tailgate open the full 90 degrees.

Hope this helps and welcome to the club.

Dave. :thumbsup:

Ref the XT-R tyre debate.I bought an XTR-R just after Mr.T.changed the spec and removed the spare from the back door.

I agonised about not having the spare and bought a complete spare wheel to carry in the boot on long journeys.

I have since joined the Toyota owner's club which includes full ,comprehensive RAC membership.When I registered I asked the TOC rep specifically about the tyre situation vis-a-vis the RAC.I was told that in the event of a puncture that needed serious attention, to call the RAC and they would take care of things.They even suggested if you reported the details of the problem and identified the model the RAC would bring a spare wheel.This last bit I thought was a bit far fetched but is has given me more confidence.

The car, a diesel by the way, is brilliant.After years of Saabs which, I loved, this car has opened my eyes with it's combination of looks,style,high MPG, performance and practicality. I think it is a terrific car.

The idea of adapting the underfloor boot space is a no no.Even with a emergency skinny spare I do not think it can be done.

As I have said before on this forum,I think Mr T will frighten off the older more conservative motorist who neither fancies driving without a spare or :Jumpy: the problems associated with runflats. :unsure:

Alfa_forever

I think it is a balancing act that only you can made a decision on.

The feature's and the clean rear look of the XTR without a spare wheel v's the XT3 or XT4 with a spare wheel.

Either way, there are excellent suggestions posted above, ie. (XTR) carry a spare or space saver for long journeys, (XT3 / XT4) checkstrap conversion for a fully opening tailgate.

In the end, which ever model you go for, I am sure you will be very happy with the RAV, just like the vast majority of RAV owner's. :thumbsup:

Dear All,

This is my first post here and I would like to take the opportunity to say 'Hi' to everyone and thank you for the great forum this one is!

I would also take the opportunity to ask you a piece of advice regarding the RAV4 XT-R and the lack of a spare wheel....

What sort of range the tools provided will give you in case of a puncture?

What happens then? Fix the tyre or change it with a brand new one?

My apologies for my ignorance... I am seriously pondering of buying the XT-R, however I wanted to understand the implications....

All the best to all of you.

Ciao

Alfa_Forever

PS: Alfa_Forever.... yes my first ever car was an Alfa Romeo

I suppose the things to consider are, how many flats have you had in the past and how inconvenient would it be to wait the hour to be recovered / repaired if the worst should happen ?

Think of the poor motorcyclist, they don't carry a spare! But I guess you do have twice the chance of getting a puncture than a motorcyclist. Having said that I have been riding bikes for over 30 years and never had a puncture, and I cant think if I ever have had one on a car either ?

Now we know whats going to heppen the next time I go out dont we !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links