Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Level

benchan

Hi all,

I noticed that the coolant level of my Aygo's been gradually dropping since I got it.

I've done over 26K miles, had two services as per scheduled and as far as I know (by checking the invoice) they haven't topped up the coolant at all.

I check the coolant level, engine oil and break fluid level at least once a fortnight - but now I am a bit worried because the level is so low, it is on about 1.5cm above the "minimum level". (I do the check before my journey so the reading should be accurate.)

If I remember correctly the service manual says the coolant needs replacing every 100K or so but at this rate by the time I get to 30K it'll be below the minimum level.

So my question is am I suppose to just top up the coolant and not worry about it, or do you think there's a leak or something???

Of course I can take it to Toyota but the only problem is that I have to leave my car with them for a day if I do so.

Ben.

Hmmm... tricky! :)

The problem is- has the coolant gone down gradually over the miles or dropped recently? Have you noticed when you've been checking?

It's tempting to just buy a bottle of coolant from Halfrauds and top it up but I've read that loss in coolant can be symptoms of other stuff- some serious, some not so serious.

If it was mine I'd buy a bottle of coolant, fill it up to the max level, go out for a nice long drive over country lanes and such then when I got back, leave it all for an hour to settle and check the level's still at max.

Then give it a couple of weeks and check again- if it's gone down at all, even a smidgin, get it checked.

I know it's a pain having to leave your car with the dealer and all but better safe than sorry, eh? ;)

Let us all know how you get on either way, mate :thumbsup:

thats odd indeed my 206 i have checked the coolant once in like 4 months its hardly moved, also the aygo needs a year service???? thats a lot isn't it? most cars of a lower engine end are 2 years

thats odd indeed my 206 i have checked the coolant once in like 4 months its hardly moved, also the aygo needs a year service???? thats a lot isn't it? most cars of a lower engine end are 2 years

It's not a full-fledged service, though. More of an intermediate.

They check everything over, do the oil and filters and that's about it. Mine took 45 mins and cost about £75 the other month :)

oh thats alright then!!! few, mine has that every other year from the major service it goes in, oil n fiter they check it over top up the levels, then they give it back to me FUlly cleaned inside n out! i can never get my car as clean as they make it and I spend 2 hrs cleaning it :(

Check around your water pump and along the top of the radiator. I have changed loads of AYGO rads that have started leaking around the end tank seals.

Mart

Mart

That sounds ominous.

Has a fix been applied to the production of more recently supplied Aygos or is it subject to inspection/repair at service visits?

:(

try opening the cap to release the pressure. you might find the level will go up. esp if your looking at it while its hot.

try opening the cap to release the pressure. you might find the level will go up. esp if your looking at it while its hot.

I thought removing the cap whilst hot was the quickest way to get a face full of coolant

If you remove the rad cap the coolant will go down not up.

Take look around the rad and water pump like i said before or get the dealership to check it over

...... you could be coming home with a brand new rad/expansion bottle if they find it is leaking ;)

Mart

• 1 year later...

OK,

Last week I had my water pump replaced for the second time in just over a year. I checked my coolant level this morning and to my horror the coolant level is about two inches / 5cm below the top up marker!

From my experience fixing other cars, when replacing the water pump the coolant has to be drained, and after fitting the new one, refilled. So my question is what is the standard Toyota procedure for replacing the water pump and refilling the coolant?

Do they top it up to the max level, marked on the coolant tank?

Also is it normal to have the water pump replaced this quickly, especially on a Toyota?? Should I take my car to another Toyota garage???

Ben

OK,

Last week I had my water pump replaced for the second time in just over a year. I checked my coolant level this morning and to my horror the coolant level is about two inches / 5cm below the top up marker!

From my experience fixing other cars, when replacing the water pump the coolant has to be drained, and after fitting the new one, refilled. So my question is what is the standard Toyota procedure for replacing the water pump and refilling the coolant?

Do they top it up to the max level, marked on the coolant tank?

Also is it normal to have the water pump replaced this quickly, especially on a Toyota?? Should I take my car to another Toyota garage???

Ben

OK, first things first. I remember reading a service bulletin asking it's mechanics to check around the base of the thermostat housing, because there was an issue with the gasket used (leaking). This was a problem with only a few Aygo and the problem was quickly given attention.

Secondly, it's not normal to replace the water pump so often. What usually happens after a coolant change is that the level in the expansion tank drops quite dramatically after the first few miles. This is mainly because all the air hasn't been bled from the coolant system. This air is dumped into the top of coolant/expansion tank and coolant sucked up into the system in its place from the bottom of the coolant tank. Normally, you fill up at the coolant tank AND at the radiator cap and run the engine until the thermostat opens (the pipe leading from it becomes warm), then continue to top up at the radiator. Then replace all the caps, go for a drive (hopefully dislodging any trapped air) and check the coolant level again.

It reads like the mechanic didn't bleed all the air from the coolant system, so maybe a different Toyota garage will be the answer. Water pumps are not up to pumping air as it causes them to overheat (and melt the plastic fins)