Maintenance - 4.3

anchorman

Difficulty - Easy

Time - 5 minutes.

Tools - None

Frequency -

Normal Conditions: 14000 miles

Dusty conditions: 12 months or 9000 miles

UK Part No and price TBA by Lindop Brothers Toyota in subsequent post.

Additional information - Further diagrams can be found on page 276/279 of the Owners Handbook (LHD shown). Filter may not be fitted to models with manual air conditioning.

Introduction

To improve the environment inside the car, a clean air filter is fitted to the heater intake. This is intended to remove dust and particles that would otherwise enter the car. The filter fitted to the RAV is a particulate filter which has been electrostatically charged to capture the finest particles that are also positive or negatively charged and attracted to the filter. New filters are snow white but soon become blackened by the volume of tiny particles trapped within them. The result as well as a fresher interior is cleaner interior and air vents etc. A filter that is becoming clogged will also starve the interior of fresh air and windows will quickly steam up so it is very important to replace the filter as at the correct interval or more frequently under dusty conditions. Replacement filters with an activated carbon core may become available which also remove odours that may occur for instance in heavy traffic.

The filter will soon become clogged with flies and leaves etc. The blackening is due to dust and pollen (even smaller than the pores in the filter) that have been attracted to the filter fibres. It is very easy to access this filter so I recommend that you remove and clean the filter at least every 12 months and if it looks clogged, replace it.

Procedure

1. Working from the passenger side, empty the glove box and remove the damper from the left hand side;

damper.jpg

2. Squeeze the stops at either side of the glove box to allow it to drop down;

stops.jpg

3. Drop the glove box to just below level to expose the mounting hinges and pull the glove box back towards the seat in order to detach it. With the glove box removed the white plastic access cover is clearly visible on the heater case. Press the clip on the left side to remove the cover outwards;

cabinfilter.jpg

4. Withdraw the filter from the heater intake;

IMG_1079.jpg

5. It can be seen in this photo how much debris has been trapped in 10 months/7500 miles (Note, the cleaner filter in this photo has been fitted for about a month and is already beginning to discolour). As an interim measure it is acceptable to turn the filter upside down and tap out the large objects onto a hard surface and vacuum the fine particles from the dirty side only. Avoid breathing the dust. It is unwise to leave replacement beyond the recommended intervals and essential not to leave the filter out all together.

elements.jpg

6. To refit a new filter place it into the heater intake with the "UP" arrow positioned accordingly. Replace the cover, glovebox and glovebox damper.

• Like 1

Many many thanks Anchorman for burning the midnight oil on this one :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another great workshop guide :toast:

Part number for this is 88568-52010-83 priced at 14.36 retail. We discount this price to 11.49 to TOC members, saving you 20% however we do have to charge postage if you want one sending out, again, no problem, just call or PM me.

Kingo :thumbsup:

PLEASE NOTE Always provide us with a chassis number or Reg number if you want anything pricing, this provides us with a build date for your vehicle and saves time when enquiring. Thank You. Kingo

• 1 month later...

I wonder if a very kind moderator would move this thread to the RAV Important stuff section.

Thank you.

I wonder if a very kind moderator would move this thread to the RAV Important stuff section.

Thank you.

Bump...

Can a Moderator add this to the rest of the Pinned Items in the RAV section Please

Nae worries -

the new Highway Code indicates its almost illegal to smoke in a car; ye cannae drink and drive; and it'll be soon illegal to fart in a car cos of global warming....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Thanks for this post.I've done this yesterday and the filter looks like a "rats nest".The previous owner must not have done any check of these before.

Thanks for this post.I've done this yesterday and the filter looks like a "rats nest".The previous owner must not have done any check of these before.

Yea it's always best to clean those out every now and then....Farmers around near me are out cutting all there fields, so mine will be nicely clogged up....

Yea it's always best to clean those out every now and then....Farmers around near me are out cutting all there fields, so mine will be nicely clogged up....

Anyone know how to do this on the 4.1?

the don't have one

the don't have one

That probably explains why I couldn't find it!! lol

• 2 years later...

Is this the only filter ? I have a 2004 vvti xt3 WITH a/c and live in Spain so it stands a good chance of being clogged. (dust from my 2km dirt track)

Recently I feel I can smell dust with A/c on so am taking this as a hint !

Yes there is just one very basic filter and it seems to collect dirt very quickly.

I didn't bother with a genuine part last time I replaced mine, as the pattern part was half the price and was just as good :thumbsup:

Is this the only filter ? I have a 2004 vvti xt3 WITH a/c and live in Spain so it stands a good chance of being clogged. (dust from my 2km dirt track)

Recently I feel I can smell dust with A/c on so am taking this as a hint !

Instructions for yours are similar;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71985&hl=maintenance