Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Digital Fuel Gauge On Yaris

ladyyaris

Hi, :unsure:

I'm new to this thread but in need of advice on a yaris - I think my fuel gauge is stuck showing half full, has been like it for a couple of days. I went to a local garage but they dont seem to have the necessary gear to deal with it and said I should go to main dealer who I know will rip me off badly. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did they do?

Thanks

Annie

Welcome to TOC!

You'll find that the fuel guage sometimes appears to be "stuck" - it can also occasionally move back up a notch - all perfectly normal.

Do you do excessive daily mileage to be worried? If mine hasnt moved in a couple of days I don't mind!

I really dont think its anything to worry about, so long as the car is behaving normally otherwise. :thumbsup:

You don’t say how many miles you have done with the fuel gauge staying in the same place.

So how many miles have you done since it hasn’t moved?

Is it a diesel or petrol?

How old is your car?

What engine size?

Have you been doing motorway or town driving?

Have you tried filling it up and seeing if the gauge goes to full?

My advice: Fill up, reset your trip A or B, you should get a minimum of 300 miles to a tank and maybe 400 miles depending on the information above, and see if the gauge moves.

Chances are it has moved when you have read this post :wacko:

Hi, thanks to you both for your help!! I did as you suggested and the gauge did move, I was so happy (mad to be happy at fuel level going down?), wasnt looking forward to another big bill this year!

Thanks again.

ladyyaris

:rolleyes:

• 11 years later...

Hi

i have a 2007 Toyota Yaris 1.4 D4D, it was showing two segments off empty with the digital fuel gauge when I filled it up to full, the gauge shows full, then I travelled 120 miles and the gauge did not move at all still showing full on the digital reading just wondering if this is normal?.

Im told these cars are economical but would have thought it’d have at least moved one digit in 120 miles, I’m used to running a petrol car so could I be wrong to think that it should be moving ? 

Can anyone shed any light on this 

many thanks 

Mine, a petrol 1.3 sometimes takes a good 70 - 80 miles before the first segment dissappears from the fuel gauge from the full mark. Depends on if you filled the tank to the very brim, or stopped when the pump cut off operated, after which you can usually get another couple of litres in to fill the tank to the top of the filler neck. If the tank was brim filled and then the car was taken on a long run without stopping, it could on a diesel very well exceed 100 miles before the tank went low enough for the gauge to ;lose one segment. I would not worry about it unless its not moved after doing another 30 - 50 miles.

• Like 1

The fuel gauges on a number of Toyota models operate in a non-linear way - with segments disappearing more quickly as the tank empties. Soon get used to it.

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The fuel gauges on a number of Toyota models operate in a non-linear way - with segments disappearing more quickly as the tank empties. Soon get used to it.

Many people fill their tanks up so they can get no more fuel in. This means that the pipework leading from filler to tank is full of fuel - I reckon 4-5 ltres worth.

Tank based measurments don't show this.. So the first quarter of the tank really shows a long time to empty because it is a lot more than a quarter of the tank's worth of fuel..

Never had that problem with my 1929 Riley Nine. The fuel tank was a cylinder mounted on the front bulkhead behind the engine above the driver's feet..  To fill it, open the bonnet..No pipework at all...

3 hours ago, Madasafish said:

To fill it, open the bonnet..No pipework at all...

And dip it with a stick?😎

From past experience, most fuel gauges are similar. When I fill up, even without brimming, my gauge remains on full for a long time. "Conventional" gauge.

• 5 months later...

My 2006 Yaris fuel gauge has become illegible- it is completely black. I've taken out the cluster, opened the cluster and removed the gas gauge vios. Now I'm looking for a replacement vios as there was no part number on the vios

• 3 weeks later...

On my 06 Yaris, the digital fuel gauge always got stuck in a sense on the last two bars. Then, after some time as I did more milage, it'd all of a sudden got to flashing one bar. I didn't get it fixed, but it'd reset trip A to know when I was nearer 100 miles left and would get more petrol then. I don't know what caused that digital gauge to get stuck like that. 

• 2 years later...

On 8/21/2019 at 9:10 PM, Stevie J said:

Mine, a petrol 1.3 sometimes takes a good 70 - 80 miles before the first segment dissappears from the fuel gauge from the full mark. Depends on if you filled the tank to the very brim, or stopped when the pump cut off operated, after which you can usually get another couple of litres in to fill the tank to the top of the filler neck. If the tank was brim filled and then the car was taken on a long run without stopping, it could on a diesel very well exceed 100 miles before the tank went low enough for the gauge to ;lose one segment. I would not worry about it unless its not moved after doing another 30 - 50 miles.

Filling to the brim is something I used to do until recently but after seeing this I now stop when the pump shuts off.

Never top off your tank - YouTube

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Same as me. I also used to top off to get as much fuel in as possible. Now I stop when the pump shuts off

3 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

Filling to the brim is something I used to do until recently but after seeing this I now stop when the pump shuts off.

Never top off your tank - YouTube

Only 2 years late to the party

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Only 2 years late to the party

First time I had ever seen this and only then because I joined this forum.   The knowledge was too late for my Honda CRV that I always used to fill to the brim but spot on for my recently acquired Aygo which will never be filled to the brim while I have it. 

• 5 months later...

I have a Yaris on an 11 plate: Has anyone ever carried out a calibration on the fuel gauge to understand the range remaining relative to the number of bars? is there a setting on the odometer or IP which shows remaining range.? thanks

MB from Cranbrook