Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Does This Mean?

cmbmick

Hi

have a Carina E , which is supposed to be able to do 40mpg on petrol , recently I came across this article on Honest Johns Car reviews site which suggested you drive it like this:

"Lean-burn engines require unusual economy driving style of high revs with small throttle openings - not holding high gears."

I dont get near 40mpg , i drive as taught getting to 4th at 30mph asap and reckon this is the problem so can anyone talk me through what this description means in terms of gear changes etc?

Many thanks

CMB

:D

try driving in 5th

check what results you get on the motoway

Not sure if the CarinaE has the economy light, but my Avensis has the same lean burn engine (7A-FE for my 1.8) and a light on the dash board. If I try and keep the economy light on as much as possible I often find myself revving up to 2.5k-3k for each gear before changing. I always thought that the advice was change up asap as well (to the point my driving examiner gave it as advice when I passed my test to rev a little higher), but following the light on my dash this isn't the case.

The last time I worked out my mileage I was getting more than 40mpg (not bad for a 9 year old car with 130k on the clock :P ) so it is possible with these engines much to my surprise as I thought I would be getting about 35mpg these days.

Not sure if the CarinaE has the economy light, but my Avensis has the same lean burn engine (7A-FE for my 1.8) and a light on the dash board. If I try and keep the economy light on as much as possible I often find myself revving up to 2.5k-3k for each gear before changing. I always thought that the advice was change up asap as well (to the point my driving examiner gave it as advice when I passed my test to rev a little higher), but following the light on my dash this isn't the case.

The last time I worked out my mileage I was getting more than 40mpg (not bad for a 9 year old car with 130k on the clock :P ) so it is possible with these engines much to my surprise as I thought I would be getting about 35mpg these days.

When i drive in 3rd at 2.5K revs the engine doesnt sound strained but instinct is to sort of free it up quicker and get into 4th if you follow - love the car and dont want to change it so guess i shall have to adapt !?

It will quite happily chug down a motorway in 4th at 60 before i hit 5th.

cheers all

CMB :D

Simple way to get good economy. Change up to the next gear when the engine is revving enough not to struggle in that gear. No earlier, no later. Stick to 50-55mph or whatever you can comfortably do on the motorway without overrevving or straining the engine :thumbsup:

I drive the Aygo up and down the M4 every day. I've noticed if i keep at 70mph i get around 500miles from a full tank. If i drive at around 55-60 i'll get near 700miles from a full tank. Also i tend to take second gear up to 30mph, 3rd up to 40mph and 4th up to 50mph (you get the idea).

Works for me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links