Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Key

billsinc

Have only got one key for my W reg Avensis. The dealers tell me it is £150 to get a spare. Does anybody know anywhere less expensive?

Will be the same everwhere as no doubt you have the immob/alarm built into the key. Means it has to be programmed etc.

Fiat one's are £250. :o :yes:

If you don't need to have a remote in the spare then you can get 'coded' keys probably from Toyota for around £30-40 as I paid £32 for one on my old Primera but just didnt bother having the remote bit in it - after all it is only a spare for just in case, and if you do lose it then get a remote.

You can program an additional key into the Avensis 1998 - 06/2000 by following this sequence:

Open driver's door and insert programmed black key into ignition. Close door.

1). Within 15 seconds

Switch ignition on and off 4 times.

Switch ignition on.

Open and close the driver's door.

2). Within 20 seconds

Open and close driver's door 5 times.

Remove key from ignition.

3). Within 10 seconds

Insert black key to be programmed into ignition.

Switch on and leave for 1 minute.

Remove key.

Repeat step 3 for further keys.

To exit programming open and close the driver's door.

If your key is grey in colour then it cann't be used to program additional keys. I can cut Toyota / Lexus keys at a very reasonable cost. Email me for details.

If you do not have a programmed black key for the vehicle I can recode the engine ECU. Again, email me for details. Please state model, year of manufacture and engine type (VVTI or not VVTI).

Regards.

Pat

• Like 1

You can program an additional key into the Avensis 1998 - 06/2000 by following this sequence:

Open driver's door and insert programmed black key into ignition. Close door.

1). Within 15 seconds

Switch ignition on and off 4 times.

Switch ignition on.

Open and close the driver's door.

2). Within 20 seconds

Open and close driver's door 5 times.

3). Within 10 seconds

Insert black key to be programmed into ignition.

Switch on and leave for 1 minute.

Remove key.

Repeat step 3 for further keys.

To exit programming open and close the driver's door.

If your key is grey in colour then it cann't be used to program additional keys. I can cut Toyota / Lexus keys at a very reasonable cost. Email me for details.

If you do not have a programmed black key for the vehicle I can recode the engine ECU. Again, email me for details. Please state model, year of manufacture and engine type (VVTI or not VVTI).

Regards.

Pat

Thanks for the info Patrick, One small problem - still need to buy the key from Toyota, unless someone knows another source?

I am able to cut virtually any auto key. This is done on the most advanced computerised key cutting machines available, manufactured by Silca of Italy. www.silca.it

399.gifQuattrcode.GIF

All keys are cut as originals - not as copies. A copy of a worn key is a new worn key!

If you have the code number for your key I can cut it straight from that.

Avensis 1998 - 06/2000 has a code number from 1 to 13284 and uses a Texas 4C transponder chip.

Cost £21.15 inclusive of VAT plus £0.92 recorded delivery.

Avensis 07/2000 on has a code number from 1 to 13284 and uses a Texas crypto 4D transponder chip.

These transponders are harder to obtain at present and are therefore more expensive.

Cost £25.85 inclusive of VAT plus £0.92 recorded delivery.

If you don't have the key code number you can send me your original key, preferably by Special Delivery with a value of £1000, I would decode the key and cut an additional one. I would also provide the code number. Return would be by Special Delivery insured for £1000 at an additional charge of £3.28.

You must confirm the honesty of anyone you intend to send vehicle keys or codes. If in doubt don't take the chance.

I can also cut a key to the ignition, door or boot lock if you don't have any keys at all. Email me for details at

pat-boyle@ntlworld.com

• 2 weeks later...

I think ill bere you, and that method in mind the next time my little boy decides to place my keys down the sofa. Is that procedure actually legit ?

I just find it quite hard to belive that the ignition system is capable of writing to the chip, and not just reading ?

Not doubting, i'm just really suprised :)

Rob

I just find it quite hard to belive that the ignition system is capable of writing to the chip, and not just reading ?

As far as I'm aware, this is possible. My last car, a Punto, had this facility (I'm sure I remember the manual even giving instructions on how to program the key). With the punto however, it involved using the Master key (this was a special red one) in the process to program the other keys via the ignition.

I have a 2003 camry LE and they told me bec of something new in the 03 it can only be programmed at a dealer. Anyone know if this is really true. What is actually different from 02 to 03? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Patrick Boyle

I've just purchased my first Toyota (Avensis 1.8 GLS VVTi) last Monday from a privately owned garage. Was only given the one key and was told that was all the car came with when taken in part exchange from Toyota. Had envisaged it costing me approx. £50-100 for a spare to be cut.

Whilst I don't mind paying approx. £30 for a spare to be cut, my question is what use will it be to have a key without the alarm buttons should I actually end up losing my original key if my car is locked and has alarm armed?

Thanks.

Cheekster.

P.S. Forgot to say it's a 09/00 (X reg) model.

The Alarm will still disarm if you put the key in the lock, the buttons do the Alarm but are mainly there just to unlock the doors.

Thanks for that super quick reply m8. ;) Judging by the dates of some of the last posts in this Avensis section of the forums, was starting to wonder if anyone visited any more? :huh:

Looks like I may take Patrick up on his offer to cut spare keys? :)

Cheekster.

The Alarm will still disarm if you put the key in the lock, the buttons do the Alarm but are mainly there just to unlock the doors.

sorry, just want to clarify this - toyota alarms will not disarm when you turn on the car, at least TVSS-IV and TVSS-V models that have been installed in Toyota vehicles for past 5 years.

They will only disarm when you unlock the door with the remote. This is a double safety feature - one can not defeat the imobiliser and alarm at the same time, they are separate with separate ECU's.

This might not be true for your Toyota alarm, but I have experience with TVSS-IV which has been built into T cars since '99.

• 5 weeks later...

needed new batteries for the key fobs, changed them but find my car alarm operates when i open the door, goes off after a bout 30secs and i drive off.

drives the nieghbors mad since i work shifts and the dealer cant see me for a week, tried in sheer desperation, patricks advice...and it shut up the nusiance alarm system, no remote locking but no damm alarm either, just the flashing red LED. alarm clearly has no value since no one questions it when it goes off.

like evey time i get in or out the car.

lets see how much the dealer wants, think i would rather it was permantly disabled, would have put a hammer through it myself except i am not sure it would disable the car in the process.

cant believe the keys are going to cost so much, prefer the old central locking than this piece of junk (which has been an intermittant pain from brand new).

this is "progress" i could do without

Mr Angry, but not as Angry as the nieghbors with small children.

the recode advice in the manual aint worth a hoot, but particks advice should spare me the niegbors dirty looks.

Thanks

Avensis 1998 – 06/2000

Spwolf is correct. The immobiliser and central locking / alarm systems are separate.

The following sequence should program a remote into the central locking / alarm ECU:

Sit in driver’s seat. All doors closed and no key in the ignition switch.

Open the driver’s door.

Insert a programmed key into the ignition. Do not turn it. Remove the key.

Close the driver’s door.

Within 40 seconds

Open, close and open again the driver’s door.

Within 40 Seconds

Insert a programmed key into the ignition. Do not turn it. Remove the key.

Close the driver’s door.

Insert a programmed key into the ignition.

Switch ON and OFF once to program remote and keep remotes already programmed

Or

Switch ON and OFF twice to program remote and erase remotes already programmed

The doors should now lock and unlock:

Once if keeping remotes already programmed

Or

Twice if erasing remotes already programmed

Within 25 seconds

1). Press and hold remote lock button

2). Press remote unlock button 5 times

3). Release remote lock button

4). Press remote lock or unlock button once

The doors should lock and unlock

Repeat steps 1 to 4 for additional remotes.

A maximum of 4 remotes can be programmed.

I apologise to anyone who has sent me an email to which I haven't yet replied. I am working my way through them.

I did it, put the key in the lock, the alarm went off when I turned it.

• 1 month later...

Trying to get hold of Pat, If you are out there can you please contact me

regards smokinmyman

guyyeomans@yahoo.co.uk

Dunno where Pat has gone, as I've also tried contacting him without Success. Do we need to get a search party out for a Club Member ??? lol...

• 1 month later...
:crybaby: my local dealer quoted me 130 he said he had to take the key and send it away to be cut then recoded for my car .... im sure he said it changes the code everytime to door is opend i was in shock at the price and left without a spare, looking at the price it looks like its quite alot cheeper over here in lancs but still not buyin one ... ill guard it instead...... :thumbsup:

I did it, put the key in the lock, the alarm went off when I turned it.

Same problem, I had a standard key W/O buttons

you go to enter the car with that key, and hey presto, all hell breaks lose!!

same story in Turkey...we ordered a new key actually but after learning the price we cancelled it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links