Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis T180 - A Good Choice?

Mark_T180

Good afternoon All,

A first time poster here and I just wanted your opinions.

I haven't owned a car for many years, and have simply hired when the need arose (about 10 times a year).

This is how I discovered the Avensis, which I have now driven for about 6 years and just love!

I have recently ordered a T180, and am awaiting delivery.

My question to the new T180 drivers is "how good is it?" - the saleman tried to steer me towards the T Spirit, but I guess my heart was set on a T180.

Have I made the right choice?

Thanks for your help!

Excellent car, great to drive, I'm in a petrol Avensis at the moment and it's a lovely drive. I am sure you will love it, cheers, Kingo :thumbsup:

I have the T180 in the Auris and its an awesome engine - truly awesome and you take its power and torque for granted until you drive a normal car again.

I really like the avensis anyway - comfortable, roomy well made car all round. I didnt need something that big with our Rav4 hence the auris instead. Never got to drive a t180 avensis but i imagine my engine in the other diesel avensis i drove would make it a great car + LOTS of power.

We picked up our 2006 T180 on the 25 August and our well happy :D it's better built, more comfortable, more powerful than our old car (V W BORA TDI) only down side is fuel consumption which is about 39mpg VW was 55+mpg,

Also i now don't get to drive it as her indoors won't stop driving it :(

Good afternoon All,

A first time poster here and I just wanted your opinions.

I haven't owned a car for many years, and have simply hired when the need arose (about 10 times a year).

This is how I discovered the Avensis, which I have now driven for about 6 years and just love!

I have recently ordered a T180, and am awaiting delivery.

My question to the new T180 drivers is "how good is it?" - the saleman tried to steer me towards the T Spirit, but I guess my heart was set on a T180.

Have I made the right choice?

I love my T-Spirit. The T180 wasn't developed fully when I was looking and I am not interested in buying new cars anyway. I have a liking for turbo diesels and if I had been presented with the choice between two low-mileage second hand cars, one being mine the other being a T180, I might have gone the same way. I bought mine for the extra little luxuries and insisted on the 2.0 because I miss the power I had when I was motorcycling. I would have had the 2.4 if there had been a manual version.

What caught my eye was how you came to choose the Avensis. It is remarkably like how I bought my first car. Although I passed my test at seventeen and drove various cars, often on hire, I never owned a car until I was forty. I was not keen on graduating up from a "starter" car to an intermediate etc. I went through all of that with all the associated niggles during my motorcycling term. No, my first car was based on many drives in friend's and hire cars. The other car that I might have considered was a Volkswagon Passat because it felt and sounded solid. Toyota's reputation for reliability made the choice easier and I am now on my second one - the first being a 51 plate 2.0 GLS.

I don't know the new diesel engine but if you do a bit of town work, I think you should find it a lot more relaxed because you don't have to rev as much to have your torque at low speed. You can have a smug little chuckle to yourself as drivers around you in revvy little motors wind themselves up with their own throttle pedals.

Enjoy!

I love my T-Spirit. The T180 wasn't developed fully when I was looking and I am not interested in buying new cars anyway. I have a liking for turbo diesels and if I had been presented with the choice between two low-mileage second hand cars, one being mine the other being a T180, I might have gone the same way. I bought mine for the extra little luxuries and insisted on the 2.0 because I miss the power I had when I was motorcycling. I would have had the 2.4 if there had been a manual version.

What caught my eye was how you came to choose the Avensis. It is remarkably like how I bought my first car. Although I passed my test at seventeen and drove various cars, often on hire, I never owned a car until I was forty. I was not keen on graduating up from a "starter" car to an intermediate etc. I went through all of that with all the associated niggles during my motorcycling term. No, my first car was based on many drives in friend's and hire cars. The other car that I might have considered was a Volkswagon Passat because it felt and sounded solid. Toyota's reputation for reliability made the choice easier and I am now on my second one - the first being a 51 plate 2.0 GLS.

I don't know the new diesel engine but if you do a bit of town work, I think you should find it a lot more relaxed because you don't have to rev as much to have your torque at low speed. You can have a smug little chuckle to yourself as drivers around you in revvy little motors wind themselves up with their own throttle pedals.

Enjoy!

Thanks very much for your reply - and I thought I was the only one who used this method of selection!

I don't seem to see T180's on the road at all, and was very suprised when I saw one by Fenchurch Street station in London last week.

Having not seen it in the flesh up close, I rather excited caught the drivers eye and luckily he stopped!

I asked him a few questions about the car's performance but imagine my surprise when he informed me that he worked for Toyota! He worked as a demonstrator and hadn't driven this model for very long.

Shame really as it would have been nice to gain the opinion of an owner (in much the same way that I have done with you guys!)

Anyway, thanks again and all the best!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links