Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radiator Caps

minter1

Hi all. I replaced my Radiator yesterday. 1994 1.6i Carina E. Checked it all over first, same size, fittings etc. I fitted it and AGGH radiator cap is different. I have tried all I can think of to find one that fits. There is a recess inside this one, so the usual metal cap with big spring does not go inside. Anyone seen anything like this before? The rads part # scribed on it is PA66-GF35 if this helps?

I have taken pics of the radiator top, but cant figure how to post it here.

Tony

Sorry, can't help with the cap fitting.

To display pics, upload them to photobucket or similar, then use either copy the bb link from photobucket to link to pic, or else use the Insert Image button when posting to construct a link within the site.

Not sure your pics help me to understand what the problem is. It still looks as if the entry to the header tank is recessed below the neck where the filler cap fits, so there should be room for a sprung pressure cap. Though perhaps needs to be of a slightly different type.

Not sure if size is the same, but the pics of the new rad look not dissimilar to the one on my 1991 GT4.

rad-cap-3.jpg

rad-cap-1.jpg

rad-cap-2.jpg

/Edited to add pics.

HTH

T

THATS IT! Woot. As you can see my original cap had just one big 2pence size metal disc and rubber, due to it being a bigger internal hole. The guy at japparts.co.uk described the one you have there, and I ordered it yesterday (took a gamble). Looks like you solved it. Whats the car and year? 1991 GT4-not ignorant but don't know what that is lol.

Cool. Yes, I know what you mean now; on the old one the spring goes between the washer and the cap, therefore you need more space between the top of the rad and the face that the seal presses against. Sounds like the thing you've ordered will do the trick.

1991 GT4 = 4 wheel drive version of the Gen 5 Celica - also referred to as an ST185.

Actually those pics are of an ST185 CS (Carlos Sainz) which is slightly different to the standard ST185 but probably has the same radiator cap etc.

T

Happy to help.

Though I'm not saying the GT4 one is deffinitely the right one; just that it looks similar, and therefore may fit. But there could be other variables - such as the precise size or the pressure at which it opens to vent to the overflow tank. It's probably the same, but I don't know for sure.

Yes thats cool, but the guy at japparts is ex-toyota, and he described your pic, with more rubber rings etc for mine, and he was looking up on Carina, so I guess its cool.

edit-oops, the guy at japparts is called Steve-thus this being Toyota forum he may be a handy bloke to get to know/ask for if anyone is ever stuck in the future. Just a thought.