Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Steering Rack

avensis man

:angry:

Why dont motor manufacturers make parts adjustable these days? I have got a 1998 avensis 1800 gl which has done a mere 85000 miles. The poor thing has just failed the MOT test due to the inner joint on the power steering rack having excessive play. I was dismayed to find that the ends are not adjustable as on other steering racks and that a new /exchange unit would have to be fitted at a cost of £400 just for the part. There is nothing wrong with the hydraulics of the rack and the operation of the unit is fine. Further insult was for this £400 my rack was to be taken away to be reconditioned and the car was to be off the road for up to 10days to accomodate this.

Doe anyone know of a cheaper way to get my pride and joy back on th road? btw whats happened to the haynes manuals for the avensis? Is the car too reliable for them to print one?. any Ideas folks?

...btw whats happened to the haynes manuals for the avensis? Is the car too reliable for them to print one?. any Ideas folks?

I read on here that the CarinaE manual covers the early lean burn avensis engines as they are the same. Other than that, I'm not sure about the rest of the car.

I think Haynes manuals have gone way downhill in recent years. Has anyone else noticed how years ago the old manuals contained loads more infor than the new ones. I remember having a mini manual which almost showed you how to do a complete strip and rebuild.

In contrast the last one I bought had little more info than how to carry out a service and prepare for my MOT. I don't think I'll waste my money on another one in future.

Why don't manufacturers just sell the proper workshop manuals for thier cars?

Hi Avensis Man,

Did have have any tell-tale signs that there was a problem with the steering before the MoT? Mine's a little "notchy/clunky" when conducting slow manoeurvres but I don't notice anything under normal driving conditions.:unsure:

Vmax

• 2 months later...

Why dont motor manufacturers make parts adjustable these days? I have got a 1998 avensis 1800 gl which has done a mere 85000 miles. The poor thing has just failed the MOT test due to the inner joint on the power steering rack having excessive play. I was dismayed to find that the ends are not adjustable as on other steering racks and that a new /exchange unit would have to be fitted at a cost of £400 just for the part. There is nothing wrong with the hydraulics of the rack and the operation of the unit is fine. Further insult was for this £400 my rack was to be taken away to be reconditioned and the car was to be off the road for up to 10days to accomodate this.

Doe anyone know of a cheaper way to get my pride and joy back on th road? btw whats happened to the haynes manuals for the avensis? Is the car too reliable for them to print one?. any Ideas folks?

my steering:avensis vvti 01 when i accelerate it drives to the right

Why don't manufacturers just sell the proper workshop manuals for thier cars?

Honda are one of the best as on there website you can get download workshop manuals for a lot of previous models.

Don't know if it due to a fault or not, but my 99 pre VVTi has a slight notchy feel to steering (only at slow speeds).

It was present when I got it, but it had just had it's MOT, so I assumed it was just the way it was( I never had power steering before). My MOT is due in about a month, and I will put it in early, just in case, cos it will still be in the years warranty I got with car.

So here's hoping.

bfckarlos,

Let us know how the M.O.T. goes. The condition seems similar to mine. Like yours, it had just past the MOT when I bought it.

:unsure:

I think Haynes manuals have gone way downhill in recent years. Has anyone else noticed how years ago the old manuals contained loads more infor than the new ones. I remember having a mini manual which almost showed you how to do a complete strip and rebuild.

I don't know how old you are, but the Hayne's manuals I had did tell you exactly how to strip down and rebuild the engine. The carburettors & the gearbox too! Oh yes, and the differential. :thumbsup:

They also had full wiring diagrams and so on. :hokus-pokus:

About 15 years ago I was in the SAAB owner's club, and when a 9000 owner asked Hayne's why there wasn't a manual for his car, the answer he got was: SAAB 9000 owners are not the sort to do their own maintenance :ffs: :censor:

The early Carina E's had Jap racks which are bullet proof. The later models had ZF racks (UK) which were very prone to failure (leaks and contamination). The seal kit is around ($50 + vat) from Toyota and I'm sure you need special tools to dismantle the rose joints. There's plaenty of places that'll recondition at £130 ish.

If you want a new one, then try http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=2461891171

Bloke's selling a Carina E type...see if it's the same.

The early Carina E's had Jap racks which are bullet proof. The later models had ZF racks (UK) which were very prone to failure (leaks and contamination). The seal kit is around ($50 + vat) from Toyota and I'm sure you need special tools to dismantle the rose joints. There's plaenty of places that'll recondition at £130 ish.

If you want a new one, then try http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=2461891171

Bloke's selling a Carina E type...see if it's the same.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Avensis Man,

Did have have any tell-tale signs that there was a problem with the steering before the MoT? Mine's a little "notchy/clunky" when conducting slow manoeurvres but I don't notice anything under normal driving conditions.:unsure:

Vmax

my steering was faulty used to have mind of its own ok now toyota replaced under warranty .. but i need to send e/m to general manager of toyota u/k does any one have it. david

Hi there im having a problem with my steering. Could you tell me where you had yours fixed and how many times you had them look at it before they fixed it for you?

my toyota dealer keeps telling me my steering rack is fine but im not happy and want them to fit a new one!

Thanks

neil...

The steering inner joint (rose joint) can be replaced without having to replace the whole rack, so can't understand why you have been told to go for a new rack. <_<

The workshop manuals can all be bought from the dealers, but they ain't cheap. Looking at 50-75 quid each! :o

• 4 weeks later...
Don't know if it due to a fault or not, but my 99 pre VVTi has a slight notchy feel to steering (only at slow speeds).

It was present when I got it, but it had just had it's MOT, so I assumed it was just the way it was( I never had power steering before). My MOT is due in about a month, and I will put it in early, just in case, cos it will still be in the years warranty I got with car.

So here's hoping.

Yes!!!!!!! :group-cuddles:

Just had MOT on tuesday and sailed through, didn't expect any problems but still nice to know, isn't it.

Steering obviously ok then.

:group-cuddles: :thumbsup:

Hi lads, im a mechanic for a Toyota Dealership and the problem Avensisman is having is the inner rack ends (as said by wantasupra! ) they are very common fault, i have replaced loads of them, they cost about £80 each and it takes about half an hour to do per side! You would also have to have a 4 wheel geometry check after replacment! I think your garage you went to avensisman are either not that clued up about how to fix this fault or are tring to rip you off!

The fault vmax1 has explained about the notchy steering is you require your steering column to be greased(Toyota released a special grease for this due to excesive complaints!) this happens because the splines in the u/j at the bottom of the column gets dry!

The steering column fault also applies to bfckarlos! its not dangerous but it will get worse the dryer the joint splines get!

Hi Treuno,

With reference to the greasing of the splines on the u/j, is it easy enough to do?

If so, how long would it take? I'm reasonably able with a spanner.

Can you give me any guidance on how to do this task? :wacko:

Here's hoping.

VMAX1

This is pretty simple to do so try and follow my instructions and you’ll be fine!

First centralise the wheels and then go inside the car and remove the lower dash trim in the divers side (this is the part with the bonnet release catch on it!) 2 Phillips screws.

You will now be able to see the column in full, the part you will be greasing is the splined part you can see at the bottom of the column before the rubber grommet that goes through the bulkhead.

Before removing the column you will have to place match marks on both parts of the column where it separates so that you can put the column back in on the same splines. (There should be a white plastic ’c’ shape clip at this point, remove this and place your match marks!)

Now if you look up at the column you will be able to see 2 14mm nuts and 2 14mm bolts, these hold the column in place, remove these nuts and bolts which should then enable you to drop the column down and then slide it out of its splines!

The part you will be applying the grease to is the female part still sat in the bulkhead of the vehicle (this is the end of the u/j, which is attached to the rack!) We use Toyotas own special grease which is available from any Toyota dealership (usually kept in stock) it is known as Avensis column grease, it is a little white tube full of yellow grease! I should imagine you could use any grease but I recommend genuine.

Once you have some grease generously fill the female part until it oozes out.

You can now refit the column using your match marks, I would advise to put something down on your carpet so that the grease doesn't land on it, because it will be forced out between the splines.

You can now put everything back together in the order you took it apart.

I hope this makes sense and I will be interested to know how you get on. GOOD LUCK mate.

Thanks Treuno,

Sounds simple enough. I'll see if I can give it a shot at the weekend if the weathers not too bad. Do you know what type/ grade the "Avensis" grease is?

Regards,

Vmax

Im affraid i dont mate! i should imagine any grease works, i would go for a higher temperature grease so that it doesnt go thin and run out of the splines due to the heat from the engine bay!

Just greased the splines on the u/j!!

I have a few more tips if anyone else wants to have a go.

Make sure that you are no bigger than me - 10 1/2 slight build,

You have a very flexible back and upper body,

You have an assistant to take the weight of the steering column as it drops,

Take the time & trouble to make very visible alignment marks before disassembly (it may also be beneficial to make a mark on the lower end of a spline before it's taken right out)

I've yet to test drive it, but the grease did appear to have dried out.

I'm going out for a ride on my Vmax now, I think I've earned it.

:thumbsup:

Vmax

I will test drive before the end of the day.

I think its just a case of getting used how to do it(which you obviously wont unless you work for TOYOTA) because iam 16stone and 6ft 5in tall and i seem to adapt in the tight footwell quite well now, HAHA. Hope its all ok when you test drive it!

:thumbsup: Thanks Treuno,

The steering is now clunk free. I hope you weren't offended by my comments, I'm only an amateur.

Thanks again for your help

Now onto my next task.

Vmax

Sorry just read this :wacko:

Treuno, wasn't the grease issue with the steering mean't to be done free at your local maindealer, mine was even though i was having no probs. Not a recall as such but something to do the next time you went in for a service and the computer at the dealers tell's them it hasn't been done so they just do it for free and bill tgb. Hate not remembering the exact term used but it was a while ago :ph34r:

:vmax

Dont worry about it mate i wasnt offened in the slightest! glad to hear your steering is ok now!

:Sorted Avensis

It was only done for free if it was under warrenty and there are no pre-facelift Avensis's with std Toyota warrenty anymore!

Im not sure what Toyota call faults like these to you customers but to me they are known as product reports/bulletins.