Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Steering Rack

avensis man

I have just got a 1999 Avensis 1.8GS, i think i have a similar problem in that i get a slight knock on the steering when doing tighter manouvers i.e. parking. It only happens at slower speeds and is ok on the motorway.

Is this just the grease on the steering rack drying up.

Apart from that the car is great, very quiet

Yes! it is just the case that the steering column u/j splines are dry! Same case as vmax1 had!

I will apolagise in advance for asking this question in this tread, but I feel that possibly treuno is the man for the job and may have the answer or at least know a man who does!!

So Treuno, if you are watching can you help

I have asked the question in other threads but as yet not had a definitive answer.

My car 1998 Avensis 1800 Petrol, where is the diagnostic socket, it is not like the previous carina and if i ever do find it can you still get error codes out of it by utilising the engine error light on dashboard.

Heres hoping. Thanks

• 9 months later...
:vmax

Dont worry about it mate i wasnt offened in the slightest! glad to hear your steering is ok now!

:Sorted Avensis

It was only done for free if it was under warrenty and there are no pre-facelift Avensis's with std Toyota warrenty anymore!

Im not sure what Toyota call faults like these to you customers but to me they are known as product reports/bulletins.

Hi Treuno! Is this solution fro noisy steering apply to new Avensis2 model or older model ?

I have an Avensis 2 from 2004 but the dealer says that your fix applies to older models.

What about Avensis2 ??

I think its a common problem with them, my mums 99 Avensis had just 35K up on it and it needed a new steering rack. I just had mine serviced and replaced the track rod end and anti rollbar bushens although mine does have 88k on the clock. Even though I replaced the track rod end it didn't actually need doing, what had happened was it had ceased up and was just a case of freeing it up a bit, but seeing as i had the part i just replaced it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know if it due to a fault or not, but my 99 pre VVTi has a slight notchy feel to steering (only at slow speeds).

It was present when I got it, but it had just had it's MOT, so I assumed it was just the way it was( I never had power steering before). My MOT is due in about a month, and I will put it in early, just in case, cos it will still be in the years warranty I got with car.

So here's hoping.

Yes!!!!!!! :group-cuddles:

Just had MOT on tuesday and sailed through, didn't expect any problems but still nice to know, isn't it.

Steering obviously ok then.

:group-cuddles: :thumbsup:

I have still got the notchy feeling to steering, but the answer was given on a previous thread and how to do it but I've just not got round to doing it. :rolleyes:

Search through and you'll find solution and it's not as bad as getting it replaced, just a case of greasing it. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

A Big Thank You to Treuno.

Who'd have thought that a knock in the steering could be fixed by a small tube of yellow grease?????

I'm so grateful. :D

• 6 months later...

So where do you apply the grease guys?

A Big Thank You to Treuno.

Who'd have thought that a knock in the steering could be fixed by a small tube of yellow grease?????

I'm so grateful. :D

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Treuno, i had the same problem with a notchy steering. Getting to the column was a little harder than described as there were a few things attached to the steering column cover such as the boot lid opener which needed to be disconnected to give you enough space to work in.

Hopefully this will last a while before needing to do it again. The column isn't heavy really but awkward and pulling the spline out was a bit tricky as there are still cables attached to the steering column even once you remove the bolts, but it probably is something you get better at each time.

regards, Gary

Thanks to Treuno, i had the same problem with a notchy steering. Getting to the column was a little harder than described as there were a few things attached to the steering column cover such as the boot lid opener which needed to be disconnected to give you enough space to work in.

Hopefully this will last a while before needing to do it again. The column isn't heavy really but awkward and pulling the spline out was a bit tricky as there are still cables attached to the steering column even once you remove the bolts, but it probably is something you get better at each time.

regards, Gary

Just an update. Since greasing the splines in Apr 04 I'm pleased to report that the problem hasn't returned.

With regard to the ongoing discussions about knackered steering racks, my steering wheel has squeaked on and off since I bought the car. It's seems to get worse in the summer. However, I asked the mechanic at the M.o.T station last month about it's condition. He said that everything was fine and that there wasn't any wear / freeplay detected. The car sailed through the test, so I assume that the rack is safe.

Vmax :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

regards, Gary

Just an update. Since greasing the splines in Apr 04 I'm pleased to report that the problem hasn't returned.

With regard to the ongoing discussions about knackered steering racks, my steering wheel has squeaked on and off since I bought the car. It's seems to get worse in the summer. However, I asked the mechanic at the M.o.T station last month about it's condition. He said that everything was fine and that there wasn't any wear / freeplay detected. The car sailed through the test, so I assume that the rack is safe.

Guys, I have a problem with this. Could you be more prеcise which are the exact bolts that I should remove (45897,90119.90179 or others ) ? Where to put marks? Which parts separates ? Where is the "white plastic ’c’ shape clip" ?

Here is the picture with part numbers :

6455.gif

regards, Gary

Guys, I have a problem with this. Could you be more prеcise which are the exact bolts that I should remove (45897,90119.90179 or others ) ? Where to put marks? Which parts separates ? Where is the "white plastic ’c’ shape clip" ?

Here is the picture with part numbers :

6455.gif

The four bolts look like the ones 90179 and 90119 on your diagram. four in total all pointing down /up from the rack. the c shape clip you should see without removing anything towards the base of the rack before it disappears into the engine area. The clip should be directly next to a black tube which is where the rack seperates and where the grease goes in. mark the black tube and the silver metal rod that inserts into the balck tube.

Here is the picture of the steering mechanism of Toyota Avensis Sedan (model T22 - from year 1997 to 2003) with numbers:

(points 2 and 4 are u-joints

point 3 is rubber grommet and where the steering shaft goes through the firewall.

point 4 is outside - in the engine area.

points 3 and 7 are tied together with 6 )

steering.jpg

If I understand you right:

1. Remove c-shape clip

- where is the d... clip? near 1, 2, 3. Is it plastic (white) or metal? What is locks !?! May be it is the one marked as point 6 or 45271 ?

2. I should remove the four bolts ( 90179 and 90119 )

- four in total all pointing down to the ground - reverse to 90119 ?

3. By "black tube" you mean the tube marked as 5 ?

4. By "where the rack separates" you mean point 1 ?

5. The grease should go inside the black tube marked as point 1?

6. By "silver metal rod" you mean steering shaft - so I should mark both parts at point 1?

7. As I understand the steering shaft is separated some where in the "black tube". As I move down the black tube from the dash board by unscrewing the four bolts and the clip I should be able to take the shaft away from the black tube and grease there ?

8. OR may be the conversation is about point 8? May be there is the c-clip and there is where I should grease?

please :help: me to understand the things in order to fix the problem.

Here is the picture of the steering mechanism of Toyota Avensis Sedan (model T22 - from year 1997 to 2003) with numbers:

(points 2 and 4 are u-joints

point 3 is rubber grommet and where the steering shaft goes through the firewall.

point 4 is outside - in the engine area.

points 3 and 7 are tied together with 6 )

steering.jpg

If I understand you right:

1. Remove c-shape clip

- where is the d... clip? near 1, 2, 3. Is it plastic (white) or metal? What is locks !?! May be it is the one marked as point 6 or 45271 ?

2. I should remove the four bolts ( 90179 and 90119 )

- four in total all pointing down to the ground - reverse to 90119 ?

3. By "black tube" you mean the tube marked as 5 ?

4. By "where the rack separates" you mean point 1 ?

5. The grease should go inside the black tube marked as point 1?

6. By "silver metal rod" you mean steering shaft - so I should mark both parts at point 1?

7. As I understand the steering shaft is separated some where in the "black tube". As I move down the black tube from the dash board by unscrewing the four bolts and the clip I should be able to take the shaft away from the black tube and grease there ?

8. OR may be the conversation is about point 8? May be there is the c-clip and there is where I should grease?

please :help: me to understand the things in order to fix the problem.

Everything is very close to your point 3. the c clip, the black tube, where the grase goes. the clip is white plastic on my avensis 2001 and just pulls off. hope this addresses any confusion.

If everything is close to point 3, then what is the reason to separate the steering rack from the dash board in order to grease there !?!

I already unscrued point 6 and moved the rubber grommet (point 3) up to u-joint (point 2) enougth to grease there without any success. I already greased u-joint (point 2 ) also without success.

"black tube" you call rubber grommet (point 3) or point 5 or what ?

Right now I'm totally confused :(

• 3 years later...

Hi lads, im a mechanic for a Toyota Dealership and the problem Avensisman is having is the inner rack ends (as said by wantasupra! ) they are very common fault, i have replaced loads of them, they cost about £80 each and it takes about half an hour to do per side! You would also have to have a 4 wheel geometry check after replacment! I think your garage you went to avensisman are either not that clued up about how to fix this fault or are tring to rip you off!

The fault vmax1 has explained about the notchy steering is you require your steering column to be greased(Toyota released a special grease for this due to excesive complaints!) this happens because the splines in the u/j at the bottom of the column gets dry!

Thanks Treuno.

I've recently aquired a 2001 Avensis GLS VVT-I auto 1.8 (73000 miles), and I've got it booked in at my local garage to investigate a slight clunk in the steering. It isn't too excessive or particularly noticeable, but I know it's there, if you know what I mean. So your information is likely to be quite helpful (if they start scratching their heads).

It's a pity you aren't a bit nearer to Preston, or I'd get you to look at it, lol!

DB.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the solution to this problem Treuno. Just finished the job and the steering is now clunk-free - nice one. If you are thinking about doing this yourself, I'd say definitely have a go as the instructions are very good. I didn't buy the Toyota grease as my local dealership wanted £16 for a tiny tube full - rip-off. Bought so high-melting point lithium grease instead (£5) and there's enough in there to do the job about 20 times over!

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like an overzealous MOT station. Tell them you will go somewhere else.

I have had the same problem for ten years and as is not getting worse, passes mot ok.

Best regards

Phil

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links