Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Does Econometer Work?

gmcgrane

I have a 1.8 1998 Avensis Sol and was wondering if anyone knew how the Green Econometer indicator works on the dash? I am technically minded and wanted to understand the inputs for this device. Has it plenty of "smarts" or is it just a gimmick to stop you from driving that little bit harder? Thanks.

It probably works by calculating the amount of acceleration required in relation to the amount of load required on the engine in a particular gear, similar to how a modern or a Toyota automatic kicks down on it's own if you are going up a steep hill without you having to kick down.

So it will work all of this out, and illuminate when you are driving in the optimum conditions.

That's my theory anyway.

I'm not so sure about the last theory. The 1.8 Lean burn that is in your car had two injection modes. It uses special shape pistons, with intake manifolds located and angled matching the pistons, the intake air generates a swirl inside the combustion chamber. Swirl leads to more complete mixing of fuel and air. This enables more complete burning, not only reducing pollutant, but also allowing the fuel / air ratio to be lowered without significantly altering output (although I debate this!). However, when you increase demand, the injection technique alters to a direct injection, power output increases as does fuel consumption. It is at this point the little green light kicks out. I'm not entirely sure how it works out when to change but my experiance would be that it is simply based on throttle position as you can turn the light out in netural.

It is simply states wether the engine is in lean burn mode or not, as said above. This is determined by a few factors like throttle position as stated before, but the load on the engine affects it too.

:thumbsup:

Yeah it does. Normally when you gradually press the accelerator like when approaching an incline. It kinda hickups as it goes from lean burn to fuel drinking mode. That's the only time i've noticed it.

:thumbsup:

Many Thanks to all who have shared their opinions on the Econometer to date. I tend to share the views of Stuart as I too, have noticed the change under load as well as throttle position etc.

Having tracked the consumption over a number of weeks, I also noticed a difference when you keep the green light on!

Finally, I did notice, as did Stuart, the "splutter" symptom which was queried by one other reader.

Regards, Gerry.

It's probably most noticeable at about 90mph (not that I do those sort of speeds!). Because the car will sit at 80 all day with the green light on, but as you go closer to 90 it's as though it's running too lean and starts to hickup until the accelerator is pressed more.

:D