Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica 6th Gen Engine Diag

col_loki

Hi Guys,

Firstly some great reading on this forum, its a fantastic find.

Anyway, im just after buying a '98 Celica SS3 with Beams VVTI engine.

I am having a few problems with it....

It is lacking in power quite a bit, it seems its acceleration goes downwards after 3k RPM, it evnetually go faster but there is definitely something wrong.

After driving it for 20-30mins the Engine light comes on. It has a sports exhaust aswell and it sound extremely loud even at 2k RPM (like its pushing

out more petrol / air or something).

It starts no problems, it sometimes starts on idle at 2k RPM and then settles down to 1K after 5mins.

I have been thinking its the Oxygen Control Sensor (lamda sensor) as its tough enough on petrol aswell.

After reading the forum etc i found the details to get the engine Diag (linking E1 & TE1 in the Diag Box). I went with a paper clip to try and do it,

and connecting it to E1 is no problems as i can see the metal clip but TE1 doesnt seem to have one, its just the plastic hole. I still tried and put the clip

right down but still didnt work. (Read in one of the threads this might not work with OBD2?)

Just wondering if any of ye could shed some light on it or offer advice?

I have ordered the Oxygen Sensor anyway, even if you would let me know if the Pre or Post Cat one is the most common to go/cause problems?

Many thanks in advance.

maybe try celica-club.co.uk a guy on there has fitted a beams engine into his car so will maybe be able to help.

maybe try celica-club.co.uk a guy on there has fitted a beams engine into his car so will maybe be able to help.

Thanks for that, im having a look around and have been given a link to Beams forum. Learning tonnes of stuff over the last week,ive just ordered an ODB2 Diagnostic Tool (reading through other threads i think this might help). So i will have it back at home next weekend and start working on it.

Id really love to have it running right, love the car, much more comfortable than my last one (mr2 turbo)......and i know its going to be so sweet once its sorted.

Anyway thanks for the link.

After alot of reading etc i changed the Spark Plugs and the car is feeling much healthier and has the power back!! Wrong ones were put in at the last service......

The engine light is still comming on but ive ordered a OBD2 reader which should tell me the flaw and be able to reset it.

Still going to fit the Lambda Sensor, cant hurt.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links