Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spark Plugs

vmax1

I want to change the spark plugs on my '99 1.8 Avensis

(7A FE). What's the best brand and type to replace with?

The owners service guide states changing them at either 18000 or 63000 miles. Is it better to install the plugs that, so say, last the 63K or is it best to change cheaper ones (?)at 18K anyway?

Please advise me of your opinions.

Vmax

It depends on your driving requirements.

If you do a lot of mileage then put the expensive ones in, whereas if you only do a few thousand each year then put the cheaper ones in as it won't be worth paying the extra as you won't get the financial benefit out of them.

You have to use platinum tipped plugs in the 7A-FE engine, and that's crucial. They are not to run with standard plugs, they melt!!

Yep, you'll be sticking to the 60k change as well with the price of them! :lol:

:thumbsup:

Where in the owners manual does it say 18,000 or 63,000? My manual just says 63,000 and platinum plugs, should be able to pick them up at all local auto suppliers.

I have the HKS ones in but you would cry at the price of those, £25 quid each minus 15% for been a goldie.

Hi Sorted,

These mileages are referred to in both the Service Schedules A & B in the service record handbook.

As my car has only done 34K I'll think I'll leave them a while longer.

Vmax

Does anyone have ballpark figures for the Platinum plugs (and the product code if you have it). I need new ones, but I can't believe the prices of these things.

I'm not interested where you made the purchase, merely how much you paid, as I don't want to pay £70 if I know I can get the plugs elsewhere at £30. I have been quoted £60 & £70 for a set of 4 plugs which are apparently Iridium and not Platinum (I could have sworn Iridium was a game for the C64).

(I have the 7A-FE angine BTW)