Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Camry Owner...what About Mpg?

newwy

Hi

Just bought a 1997 Camry 2.2 Automatic (standard car) and was just wondering what sort of fuel consumption I should be getting from it. ?

The guy selling it claims he got about 37 miles to a gallon on a steady run and about 28-30 around town.

Sounds about right for a 2.2 litre engine ???

Any comments, experiences from other Camry drivers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Hi

Just bought a 1997 Camry 2.2 Automatic (standard car) and was just wondering what sort of fuel consumption I should be getting from it. ?

The guy selling it claims he got about 37 miles to a gallon on a steady run and about 28-30 around town.

Sounds about right for a 2.2 litre engine ???

Any comments, experiences from other Camry drivers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, I have 1984 1.8GL and 1986 2.0GLi both manual gearbox The best I've managed on a long run with the 1.8 is about 38mpg,with about 30mpg around town.I would say his figures are pretty typical and would be very acceptable particularly on an Automatic. Obviously the higher you cruise above 55mph the less you will get in my experience.Certainly keep below 70mph otherwise it wil drink fuel. Changing gear at 2000rpm around town has given me the best consumption as I'm not in too much of a hurry usually. I change into 5th between 35-40mph on the flat as long as this doesn't cause the engine to labour or pink.Although with your Auto you won't have the luxury ofthe last two points. Always good to make sure the timing is set accurately and that the tyre pressures are correct.I use standard unleaded which has proved perfectly satisfactory. Hope this helps Graham(Bournemouth)

Hi Graham

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply. You certainly like your Camry's, having 2 of them.

Its the biggest car I have had, quite a huge beast really after the Corollas. I have always had Toyota's, can't understand why everyone doesn't drive one. My local garage mechanic says he would go out of business if everyone had Toyota's.!! My 15 year old Corolla liftback automatic, which had almost 180,000 on the clock and I had for 10 years, still had the complete ORIGINAL exhaust on it...incredible. The only thing I had done on it was a cv joint and new discs and drums in 10 years.

Not sure if the newer Toyota's are quite as reliable, they don't seem to make them quite like they used too.

I prefer cars built in Japan during the 80's/90's.

The Camry should be good. As long as I can get about 27-28 around town and 36-38 on a run I will be happy

Regards

dave

• 9 months later...
Hi Graham

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply. You certainly like your Camry's, having 2 of them.

Its the biggest car I have had, quite a huge beast really after the Corollas. I have always had Toyota's, can't understand why everyone doesn't drive one. My local garage mechanic says he would go out of business if everyone had Toyota's.!! My 15 year old Corolla liftback automatic, which had almost 180,000 on the clock and I had for 10 years, still had the complete ORIGINAL exhaust on it...incredible. The only thing I had done on it was a cv joint and new discs and drums in 10 years.

Not sure if the newer Toyota's are quite as reliable, they don't seem to make them quite like they used too.

I prefer cars built in Japan during the 80's/90's.

The Camry should be good. As long as I can get about 27-28 around town and 36-38 on a run I will be happy

Regards

dave

I know this is an old post, but just out of interest, what are you now getting after driving it for a while?

I have a 96 camry 2.2 with 158k on it and have just bought a 2000 with 38k on which I plan on keeping long term. With the petrol prices going crazy I have been driving very carefully recently, plus I have been using gravity a little if you know what I mean. Dont suppose that is any good if you live on the flat.

I recently did a trip to Wales in my 96, keeping steady 65-70 all the way, no hard acceleration. I filled up before leaving and filled up on arrival as always, so as to keep a check on MPG. I was amazed to get a reading of 44.6. The best previous was a trip to Luton airport with 4 passangers and luggage at 70+ all the way and still got 40. Around town has increased also, with just carefull driving. I was averaging about 23 before and the last twice I have filled up I have got around 32. That equates to 135miles more per tank on short trips and 255 miles per tank on long trips. Amazing what carefull driving will do.

By the way I am not a pensioner, and I still like to have a burn out once in a while. Just try driving at the speed limits and being a little less heavy on the gas. Just think of the shock it would give the treasury if everone started driving like that

Happy Motoring.