Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wiring Up Tweeters In The Door Mirror Area

San0 Celica

I got an amp but puzzled as to how I get a cable feed through the dash > via the tube where all the other wires go and into the mirror area where my tweeters are.

Would coat hanger with blunted end do the trick or is there an easier way to feed speaker cable through the tube? Do I need to take out any of the dash area?

I got an amp but puzzled as to how I get a cable feed through the dash > via the tube where all the other wires go and into the mirror area where my tweeters are.

Would coat hanger with blunted end do the trick or is there an easier way to feed speaker cable through the tube? Do I need to take out any of the dash area?

Can you use one of the exisitng wires to pull the new wire through?

Any reason why you can't use and extend the existing cabling to save you the hassle...?

The existing front channel wires are already hooked up to the 2 way Speakers in the door near the bottom. I know there is a clip in the door that taps into the wires and leads to the mirror area, but this makes my tweeters too loud.

So What my plan is to get an amp and pass wire directly to tweeters to lower the volume a bit.

The rear Speakers near the back seat windows are connected to the rear faders, so thats ok as the vol can be adjusted.

Here's a random idea, and due to my severe lack of electronics expertise, I have no idea if it will work or not. Maybe someone can sanitise my thoughts in to something reasonable...?

Why don't you take the feeds you have that make your tweets too loud, and put a variable resistor in line. Then adjust resistor, which may, or may not (here's where my knowledge is lacking!) adjust the volume of your tweeters...??

Just a thought... :)

Why don't you take the feeds you have that make your tweets too loud, and put a variable resistor in line. Then adjust resistor, which may, or may not (here's where my knowledge is lacking!) adjust the volume of your tweeters...??

Nearly there! My mate had a guitar volume POT, we used that and it nearly worked - there was too much resistance - so it was either on or off. I'm going to Maplins next week to see if they can help - prob a small one with not much resistance so i can tweak the vol more. Again - my electronics know-how is not good either.

Will let you guys know the outcome!

After looking under the dash and the amount of wiring and plugs that go through that tube into the doors, i was really put off by it. Don't think i want to poke any thing in there.

There is unfortunately one problem with this method, the amp or headunit are designed to work with an impedance load of between 1 and 4 ohms usually, adding in a varistor will work but it is likely to have a detrimental effect on the amplifier circuit, possibly leading to a catastophic failiure (AKA a little fire)

There are special variable resistors which will keep the load seen by the amp, but lower the signal reaching the tweeter.

Hope that helps

There is unfortunately one problem with this method, the amp or headunit are designed to work with an impedance load of between 1 and 4 ohms usually, adding in a varistor will work but it is likely to have a detrimental effect on the amplifier circuit, possibly leading to a catastophic failiure (AKA a little fire)

There are special variable resistors which will keep the load seen by the amp, but lower the signal reaching the tweeter.

Hope that helps

I think i will give up on this. Maplins don't sell anything like it. And I definitely don't want fire!

Where can you buy the right resistor though?

Last time i saw the type of potentiomenter was from Farnell, seems they only did the 8 ohm version though :(

Have you tried adjusting the EQ? or if you like the idea there is a 4 channel little box you can plug in inbetween the HU nad speaker (tweeter in this case) which has 4 channel gain/attenuation settings so you can adjust whatever you need to.

Sorry if my comment is a bit simplistic or late. I just fitted a passanger door from the scrapies onto a 97 UK st202, the replacement door has the 3 speaker system in it so I also took the driver door inside panel tweeker Speakers and folding mirrors.

All the wiring from the door plugs into a connector just under the dash near where the wires come through from the door. Once you unplug this and take the inside pannel off the door it is fairly simple to pull the rubbers off and feed the lot through into the door. Should now find that feeding the wires through the rubbers should be a lot easier.

You don't have to take the door off, maybe only the door stop lever to give a bit extra room.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links