Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Vvti Auto Fuel Consumption - Need Help

ajex

Hello,

I have been using 2000 vvti auto vida - 1.6 for more than couple of months.

I find it very good and very comfortable athough the power steering is not exactly great, It has clocked authentic 45,000 miles only.

But I have started taking it on M4 at off peak times at max speed bet 60-70 and the fuel on board computer said 30.2 mpg on a 110mile run, (not using the brakes at all).This I have seen on 3 consecutive instances.

I use Tesco 95 octane petrol.

Is this Fuel consumption normal???

What can I do besides good driving habit to improve the fuel consumption..

What change should I attempt ???

reading here I see various suggestions such as

oil change/air filter /spark plug/oil filter / fuel system filter improve the fuel consumption ???

I am confused what to do though feel the consumption is on higher side.

Your guidance highly appreciated...

Many thanks for taking the time to read my query

Cheers

ajex - brentford

Before attempting to change any components, I'd suggest calculating the true MPG. On both my previous 1.4 manual and my current 1.6 manual, I rarely get figures above 32MPG from the computer, but when calculating the MPG from miles travelled and fuel used, the figure is much nearer 36MPG (and that's a mixture of stop start commuting and motorway driving).

If you need a hint on how to do this, fill the car to maximum and reset the trip clock. Drive until the tank is getting around the quarter mark and fill up again noting the number of litres. Covert the litres to gallons (divide by 4.546) and calculate the MPG since you last filled up. Hopefully you'll be surprised (and pleased) by the difference compared to the computer!

Hi Juler,

Appreciate your guidance...

will definitely try it out..

From your consumption does it mean that for 1.6 Automatic I should not expect more than 35 mpg???

Before attempting to ...

Hello,

I have been using 2000 vvti auto vida - 1.6 for more than couple of months.

I find it very good and very comfortable athough the power steering is not exactly great, It has clocked authentic 45,000 miles only.

But I have started taking it on M4 at off peak times at max speed bet 60-70 and the fuel on board computer said 30.2 mpg on a 110mile run, (not using the brakes at all).This I have seen on 3 consecutive instances.

I use Tesco 95 octane petrol.

Is this Fuel consumption normal???

What can I do besides good driving habit to improve the fuel consumption..

What change should I attempt ???

reading here I see various suggestions such as

oil change/air filter /spark plug/oil filter / fuel system filter improve the fuel consumption ???

I am confused what to do though feel the consumption is on higher side.

Your guidance highly appreciated...

Many thanks for taking the time to read my query

Cheers

ajex - brentford

I have a 1.6 Auto and usually the overall average I get is about 35 mpg. However I reset the meter last weekend for a trip of 56 miles that included dual carraigeways ( Edinburgh By Pass) and A roads. The fuel cosumption was 44.5 mpg on the outward trip and 42.3 on the return. I have noticed that using the air con. during the summer makes a difference to the consumption. .

• 1 month later...

Friends,

What is the fuel tank capacity of this vvti vida 1.6 - 2000 model...

My manual says 50 but I can fill max 37 litres even after topping it up when the tank shows empty and fuel warning light comes on..

Making me wonder if it is 40 litres..

many thanks

ajex

help plzzz....

Cheers

Ajex

Friends,

What is the fuel tank capacity of this vvti vida 1.6 - 2000 model...

My manual says 50 but I can fill max 37 litres even after topping it up when the tank shows empty and fuel warning light comes on..

Making me wonder if it is 40 litres..

many thanks

ajex