Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris Sr

T V O R

I was looking at the new Yaris 1.8 SR and discovered that the VIN number started with JTD, (Made in Japan) :toast:

Looking at the lower spec models and they all had European VIN numbers. Spoke to Mr T and he said that it’s due to the difference in the higher spec components (like the T Sport). Also noticed that the languages on the various labels on the SR were in Japanese unlike the other versions.

Can any 1.8 SR owners confirm that their VIN number starts with JTD? :thumbsup:

Pity I can't afford one :crybaby:

I can confirm my SR 1.8 was made in Japan...

it was the last thing I asked the dealer before I went against the 2.0 D4D Auris lol

All of the SR's i have PDI'd were built in Japan.

You can tell the difference ;)

Mart

Why are some people so obsessed with Yaris that are built in Japan?!

This post here - http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...p;#entry667374- ended up discussing the European vs Japanese issue and two of our respectable moderators agreed that there is no hard evidence to prove that European ones are any worse built!

I have commented on this before, but IMHO the build quality is the same. They use the same procedures, equipment etc etc, If there is a difference, I think that the European sourced parts are just not as good as the Japanese versions. There, Ive said it! Toyota are a fantastic product, end of, but just for example, batteries used to last 10 years, now they last 5, rubber bushes never perished, look at the Yaris drop link bushes nowadays. I could give you hundreds of examples. These are the result of buying cheaper and cheaper componants in order to supply you with more competitivly priced cars, nothing wrong with that providing you get a product that is value for money. I think Toyota, whatever faults they have, do provide excellent value for money, especially when compared to other European marks. Even the large German manufacturers have suffered form very poor build/reliability problems in the last few years (Names withheld but you know who I mean ;) ) Just be thankful you don't own a ............................................

Kingo :thumbsup:

rubber bushes never perished, look at the Yaris drop link bushes nowadays.

The thing is, my Yaris is Japanese built but the bushes had perished within a year and a half. I don't understand how you say that the European sourced parts are not as good! Clearly the Japanese bushes are equally useless!!

The thing is, my Yaris is Japanese built but the bushes had perished within a year and a half. I don't understand how you say that the European sourced parts are not as good! Clearly the Japanese bushes are equally useless!!

Do you have a Jap TS? As there are one or two that have been built in Europe. Does you VIN number start with JTD?

For me personally, if I buy a Japanese product its nice to know it was actually built in the country of origin and not sourced out to a country with cheaper production costs.

I believe I'm one of the very few people on here that can make an absolutely direct comparison between Jap & French - built versions of the same spec of the same model Yaris. The is NO difference in perceived quality- if anything the Japanese D-4D had more cabin squeaks - and no difference in how the cars sttod up over the first 16,000 miles and 8 months (as long as the Japanese one lasted, but many of you know that story...)

French one is a pita to buy parts for though :(

Also worth mentioning that Japanese 1.0S that preceded the diesels required front bushes at 40,000 miles and the current French-built one required front bushes at - wait for it - 40,000 miles!

I'm sure that some of you will know far better than I though...

A

Well I was trying to talk "Generally" In general terms, when everthing was produced in Japan, we never seemed to get problems like that of the perished bushes. Maybe I'm looking at everything through rose tinted specs, but I think Japanese sourced parts are "In General" a better quality part. If they are made to a specification, I know they should be the same, but IMHO they Appear a better product. I am just making the point that I think it has more to do with the quality of componants, rather than the quality of the build, wherever that may be.

Do you have a Jap TS? As there are one or two that have been built in Europe. Does you VIN number start with JTD?

For me personally, if I buy a Japanese product its nice to know it was actually built in the country of origin and not sourced out to a country with cheaper production costs.

Yes its a Japanese car (JTD) and it's got its fair share of rattles.

As for cheaper production costs in France, compared with Japan, i'm not sure about that! Workers are paid far less in Japan than they are in France. Japanese production plant in Europe is to save on the cost of having to ship cars to Europe from Japan.

The quality of parts however, is a seperate issue. Parts-King is totally right in saying that car parts (of most manufacturers) are being made cheaper and cheaper to satisfy our obsession with cheap goods. Unfortunately this often results in a lack of quality. I'm sure many of us would rather pay a little more and not have parts fail in the first place.

Japanese production plant in Europe is to save on the cost of having to ship cars to Europe from Japan

Not entirely true. The main reason Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc built plants over here was to get around the very strict import quotos that were on Japanese cars in the 70's and 80's. Plus they got tens of millions of pounds worth of subsidies to build plants here in areas of high unemplyment. The Welsh deveolpment agency, as was, paid out vast sums of money to Toyota to build the engine plant here in Deeside, after the demise of British Steel. Toyota now have plants all over the world, taking money to set up wherever it's cheap to make goods, Poland, Thailand etc

Nice to see the three millionth engine leave the plant here a while ago, most going for export

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links