Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Broken Cambelt

The_Dominator

I have a 92 Celica GT (dark Blue) with a broken cambelt :( . Engine turns over well. I have just purchased a brand new set of Bridgestones for the nice alloys. Would be an interesting project for someone. email me if you are interested. Based in south London.

Why not repair it yourself. You would have to be very unlucky to have done any valve damage as the engine is non interference. It's only a 3 hour job and 20 quid for a belt. :thumbsup:

I have been informed by 2 garages (both using their source as Autodata, a trade source) that the engine is indeed interference, but they both say that this source is not entirely reliable.

daktari, who was your source? I need to know whether my engine is screwed or not...... :unsure:

I'm ex-motor trade and Autodata technical data books always say the engine will do damage ( not sure if this is a money spinner for the garages or Autodate covering themselves ), if you speak to your local Toyota garage they will tell you the truth, i was also under the impression the 3S-GE was a safe engine......good luck :)

IIRC, from lots of threads that I've read on this topic, the general concesus seems to be that 3S-GE engines are rarely damaged by cambelt failure, whereas 3S-GTE engines often are.

I'm ex-motor trade and Autodata technical data books always say the engine will do damage ( not sure if this is a money spinner for the garages or Autodate covering themselves ), if you speak to your local Toyota garage they will tell you the truth, i was also under the impression the 3S-GE was a safe engine......good luck :)
IIRC, from lots of threads that I've read on this topic, the general concesus seems to be that 3S-GE engines are rarely damaged by cambelt failure, whereas 3S-GTE engines often are.

I'm inclined to think that Autodata do tend to cover themselves. I've done a good few cambelt failure jobs and after checking Autodata you always expect the worst. 'Tain't necessarily so. ;)

But in this instance for the sake of a cambelt and a Saturday afternoon you could have your car up and running again. What's to lose? :D

What ave I got to lose? I havent got a flippin clue how to do it myself. My garage quoted me over 200 sovs....UP FRONT, and thats not a Toyota garage.

All this on a wing and a prayer that it will work.... :cowboy:

Should cost about half that. I've had the MR2 belt changed by Mr T for far less than that.

I think somebody had one done for less than a hundred notes recently.

My local Toyota garage charges 90 quid an hour plus VAT....UP FRONT.

As soon as they saw my banger in the car park, they had no choice.....i'm sure they dont want a lump of metal jamming up their space and an unpaid bill.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links