Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina 2

deac60

Hi

I have recently acquired a 1990 1.6 Carina 2 in very good condition, not a sports model or a classic like most of models I have seen on this forum but still a very nice family hatchback so I hope I will be able to scrounge some useful maintenance tips off you people.

One problem I am having at the moment is acquiring a workshop manual, does anybody know of a reputable manual for this car and where I might be able to get hold of one? I am told Haynes do not do one for this year.

2nd problem is I would like to replace the cassette/radio with a CD/radio. I cannot see an obvious way of pulling out the cassette/radio, and as I said this car is lovely condition for it’s age so I don’t want to go defacing the dash in any way by prising bits of plastic out with screwdrivers and scratching or breaking them.

Does anybody know the recommended interval for changing the timing belt on this car? The last one was fitted 60,000 ago. I am used to Fords and this mileage would suggest I need to do it but the previous owner said it was 80,000miles. Is this right?

Thanks for your time

Haynes did not publish for this model.

A manual can be obtained through your dealer (if it's still in print) These turn up on eBay occasionally. The Manuals supplied by TOYOTA come in several volumes. The one which is the most useful obviously covers the engine (servicing and timing belt changes are included). There may even be one one the internet in PDF form if you search.

That said the procedure to change the timing belt for the Carina E is virtually identical to that for the Carina II. (Haynes available). In fact the brakes and suspension etc are very similar to the Carina E so buying that manual would be my recomendation. They are very good cars and in many ways are far superior to the later Carina E. Probably because thay were built in Japan as opposed to the UK.

Timing belts are changed every 60K miles. Don't leave it much longer. (80K is pushing it)

The facia to get access to the cassette player is kept in place by two screws I recall. These can be seen by removing the ash tray.

• 4 weeks later...
One problem I am having at the moment is acquiring a workshop manual, does anybody know of a reputable manual for this car and where I might be able to get hold of one? I am told

This has come up a couple of times so I thought I'd mention what I've found for the Carina II as there is no Haynes manual.

I use:

Pocket Mechanic Toyota Carina II by Peter Russek Manuals

Toyota Corolla/Carina Tercel/Starlet 1970-1987 Chilton Repair & Tune-Up Guide (USA but still useful)

and best of all:

Toyota Repair Manual for Chassis and Body Corona & Carina II (36233E)

Toyota Engine Repair Manual for 2A, 3A, 4A etc (36230E)

The genuine Toyota manuals are very good and easy enough to pick up from eBay or abebooks or whatever.

replace the cassette/radio with a CD/radio. I cannot see an obvious way of pulling out the cassette/radio, and as I said this car is lovely condition for it’s age so I don’t want to go defacing the dash in any way by prising bits of plastic out with screwdrivers and scratching or breaking them.

Mine is an auto so might be slightly different. You have take off first the long bit of plastic round the handbrake and gear selector (6 screws, I think). Then the storage bin under the radio (4 screws?). Then - this is important - there are two screws that go up diagonally from underneath from where the storage bin was. You can't see them unless you lie on your back in the footwell. The rest should be obvious but it's those two screws that are important.

Thanks Winelight for your advice on the manual. I have ordered one of the Pocket mechanic manuals. As you said your automatic must have a slightly different layout to the manual gearbox car as only the facia around the radio needs to be removed but it still has those hidden screws behind the ashtray. thanks for the help

• 2 years later...

Necro post! But seriously...I was wondering if anyone here would know where I can get my hands on ANY information regarding shifting the rear hubs to put new brake shoes in as I can't find a damn thing about the AT171 on fleabay and not a lot is appearing using Google either :(

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links