Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Does A Gen 7 Idle At

fazzer

Hi everyone

does anyone know what a celica 140 should idle at.mine idles at about 1500rpm which seems high to me,how do i get it down,i plugged in a intel tester in it and and it says my throttle position is 11%.Also last night when driving along slowly the car sort off died and picked up again and the management light flashed on and off,it did this about 3 times in 2 mins and has been fine since.again i looked with intel tester and no faults stored in the history.can anyone help please

Hi everyone

does anyone know what a celica 140 should idle at.mine idles at about 1500rpm which seems high to me,how do i get it down,i plugged in a intel tester in it and and it says my throttle position is 11%.Also last night when driving along slowly the car sort off died and picked up again and the management light flashed on and off,it did this about 3 times in 2 mins and has been fine since.again i looked with intel tester and no faults stored in the history.can anyone help please

I would get the throttle body and maf cleaned out. should help the idle.

On start mine idles at 1.5k, but once warm idles under 1k.

Sounds kind of similar to what's going on with mine at the moment...could be the start of your car needing a new oxygen sensor...i just ordered mine today...so if you find out that the problem is your oxygen sensor....put it on the forum before you waste any money...coz u'll save a lot gettin the part urself!

Hope the problem gets sorted anyway...and i think it should idle at 1,000rpm

have cleaned the throttle body and maf sensor but still no joy

anybody got any suggestions

Are you running a big sound system or anything else heavy on electricity? If the Battery is struggling then it might feel it needs to idle fast to produce enough electricity.

Also, you sure the rev counter is reasonably accurate? It sounds fast at tickover does it, and power is produced up to around the red line, but starts to tail off about there?

i dont any sound system in the car as i have only just got it.Ive plugged intel tester in and the rev counter matches the speed shown.I put a multi meter on the Battery and it shows 14.5v when idling(15-1600rpm)I think this is high but not sure,i thought Battery should be 13.5v,correct me if im wrong.im going to try a new Battery as the one on it looks old and could do with replacing the before winter sets in.hopefully this cures high idle if not im out off ideas.also management light is not on.

It could be an air leak after the MAF. Check all the pipes etc. Clamp the air pipes with pliers one at a time and see if the revs drop. Be careful not to damage them.

good news guys

i took off the throttle body and removed the idle control valve(had to drill out the bolts as somebody previous had rounded them)tried moving it by hand and found some resistance,sprayed some cleaner in it and then some lubricant and kept working it until it moved freely,put back together topped up llc and bingo.car is purring now, idling at about 700-800 rpm.

thanks for all the help and i hope this post might help somebody else

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds kind of similar to what's going on with mine at the moment...could be the start of your car needing a new oxygen sensor...i just ordered mine today...so if you find out that the problem is your oxygen sensor....put it on the forum before you waste any money...coz u'll save a lot gettin the part urself!

Hope the problem gets sorted anyway...and i think it should idle at 1,000rpm

Hi i need a new o2 sensor formy celica gen 7, engine management light has come on, how much did it cost you to order a 02 sensor? Plz can u reply to yasif@btinternet.com, cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone

mine does 1.5 when cold then goes to about 1kish once its warm,

Hi everyone

mine does 1.5 when cold then goes to about 1kish once its warm,

I have gen 6 and have similar probs.I replaced o2,but it still revs.Tested for leaks,no MIL light...Don't know what could be the problem

good news guys

i took off the throttle body and removed the idle control valve(had to drill out the bolts as somebody previous had rounded them)tried moving it by hand and found some resistance,sprayed some cleaner in it and then some lubricant and kept working it until it moved freely,put back together topped up llc and bingo.car is purring now, idling at about 700-800 rpm.

thanks for all the help and i hope this post might help somebody else

Hi Frazer, where can I find the throttle body. I am experiencing the same problem. My gen 7 celica is reving from 1500rpm-2000rpm. I took it to Toyota for a $600 service and they can't find where the problem is.

follow the black airbox tube to the engine block.

The throttle body is a metal cylinder with a little flap inside it.

Some carb cleaner should be good to clean it, but dont get any on the plastic.

Also might aswell clean the MAF out, but be careful when handling it!

follow the black airbox tube to the engine block.

The throttle body is a metal cylinder with a little flap inside it.

Some carb cleaner should be good to clean it, but dont get any on the plastic.

Also might aswell clean the MAF out, but be careful when handling it!

Thanks Aquazi. I have an after market air intake. I guess I have to foloow that to the engine block then. By the way, I keep on hearing clean the MAF. Could you tell me what does MAF stands for, its location and functionality. Thanks.

I've always had Hondas and just got a celica. Didn't know there are so many problems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links