Do Not Sell My Personal Information

57 4d4 Tr Query On Non Start?

LarisLady

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for quite a while as a guest, enjoying your threads! Now for my first post! :unsure:

Saved up for years to buy a new Yaris, and in the end went for a Black TR 1.4D, wow do I like it!

I have a question which I hope you may be able to answer. i left the key in the ignition, put all my shopping in the boot and then eventually tried to start the car - it didn't. Took the key out and put it in again and started straight away. I don't think I turned the key at all when I first put it in.

Is this a "feature" of the imobilser that isn't mentioned in the manual or do I have a fault?

I know you may say go back to the dealer, but hey do I want to look "blonde"!

I would much rather get the answer here and then look smart at the dealer :lol:

Cate

....and before anybody mentions it, my name should have been "yarisLady" not "LarisLady" :D

I have no idea what I did! That must have been a real "blonde" moment! :D :D

I have a smart start one, so I can't really help. But I have had a normal ignitiion Yaris in the past as a courtesy car and I haven't noticed it. If you unlock it and don't open the door then it will lock itself again. And when I walk up to mine it lights up before i unlock it....

There are things that they do which aren't in the handbook, but if in doubt ring toyota and ask them!

Did you press the clutch down the first time?

Couldn't say for sure, but it's my normal routine, so probably yes I did. I had to do this on my previous car so I believe I did push the clutch in on this occasion

Cate

Couldn't say for sure, but it's my normal routine, so probably yes I did. I had to do this on my previous car so I believe I did push the clutch in on this occasion

Cate

May be a feature. My daughter has a Clio, that does something similar. If you do not put key in ignition and turn it, after a short while, you have to use the fob to lock the doors and unlock them, then start again. An immobiliser feature.

Can I ask, why do you depress the clutch? I think you are talking about a standard, manual gearbox vehicle. In modern vehicles, surely this is surplus to requirement?

I remember my driving instructor saying there was no need for this, over 25 years ago as older, tired cars had a bit of trouble "spinning up" so you pressed the clutch to lighten the load. Anything since the early Eighties should not need this.

I wait to be corrected. :unsure:

gar,

the new yaris require you to depress the clutch pedal to start the car. They have a switch on the clutch pedal and wont start without the pedal pressed down.

i would say its a safety feature to stop people trying to start the car up when in gear and not knowing it.

Mart

Can I ask, why do you depress the clutch? I think you are talking about a standard, manual gearbox vehicle. In modern vehicles, surely this is surplus to requirement?

I remember my driving instructor saying there was no need for this, over 25 years ago as older, tired cars had a bit of trouble "spinning up" so you pressed the clutch to lighten the load. Anything since the early Eighties should not need this.

I wait to be corrected. :unsure:

Consider yourself corrected!

As mentioned, in the new Yaris, the car won’t start unless you depress the clutch! It’s a new safety/security feature. Personally I think it’s a good idea.

:thumbsup:

Probably the immobiliser...

Its good practice to press the clutch anyhow - just in case you accidentally knock it into gear or the previous driver didn't leave it in neutral (although you should have checked, of course).

A

Its because of the Smart Start system, if you pressed the button by accident it would start, say if you were cleaning it....

I was told by the toyota garage that it was cheaper to put it in all of them, as when I got a courtesy car I couldn't start it, not realising it was the same as my Smart Start one...