Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wrong Oil Filter

shroud

I know that this may seem a daft query, but i have a 1.8 Avensis and my wife a 1.6 Focus. When changing the oil on the Focus i noticed the oil filter i had for it had Japanese writing on it. To cut a long story short i had fitted the Focus filter to the Avensis 6 months ago by mistake. It seemed to fit and did not leak and only changed it a couple of weeks ago. Presumably there would be no adverse impact from this?

As i now only have the avensis filter, i also presume that i can fit it to the Focus for 6 months. It doesn't cover the entire contact area, but so long as it seals i guess this will be fine ?

I realise i can just buy a new one for £6 and fit it, but why spend another £6 if you don't need to.

Any expert opinions appreciated.

Out of interest both cars seem to recommend a similar oil, i.e 5/30

regards

buy a proper ford fitment for the focvus, and keep the toyota one for your next oil change on the avensis., I'd just keep an eye on the dipstick level in your avensis just for peice of mind.

I'd put the right filter on immediately. Sure there's a good chance that the wrong one won't do too much damage if any, but are you really prepared to take the smallest risk of damaging the engines for the sake of £6 which you'll have to spend next time you need a new Toyota filter anyway?

What if the Toyota one is tested to a different pressure and breaks down on the Ford?

Really not worth the risk IMHO, but if you're a gambling man then carry on. Good luck.

I'd put the right filter on immediately. Sure there's a good chance that the wrong one won't do too much damage if any, but are you really prepared to take the smallest risk of damaging the engines for the sake of £6 which you'll have to spend next time you need a new Toyota filter anyway?

What if the Toyota one is tested to a different pressure and breaks down on the Ford?

Really not worth the risk IMHO, but if you're a gambling man then carry on. Good luck.

I have already fitted the avensis filter to the Focus. I'm just not sure what the risk is, but am assuming it is close to nothing, so long as there is a proper seal and therefore no oil leaking. The focus will do about 3,000 miles in 6 months and then have new oil and a new ford filter, so am leaning towards leaving it alone. Because it is fitted the hassle of replacing is now more than the cost of a filter, as i'd need to drain the oil too, and Motul 5/30 is about £35.

Unfortuntely i am a gambling man too. Bought Northern rock shares two weeks back.. ouch !

The filter may fit on OK but as mentioned, the Ford may operate at a different pressure, and the seal may not be fitting exactly right on the flange face, you dont need to drop the oil to change the filter, just take it off, fit the proper filter and top up the oil when completed. It may be too late if your flying down the motorway and the oil filter spins off on its own, or , stops in place and the oil blows past the seal. There are hundreds of different types of oil filter, all differing in various ways, if it was so simple, there would only be a handful of oil filters on the market

Kingo :thumbsup:

you dont need to drop the oil to change the filter, just take it off, fit the proper filter and top up the oil when completed.

Kingo :thumbsup:

Yeah do it when its cold and most of the oil will be in the sump anyway!

I've had a car that lost oil presure on the motorway. Its not fun as the crank pops out the side of the block to say "hello", (Total engine right off)

I'm sure it was the oil pump that gave up, but if it was to ever happen over an item costing £6 I thin k i'd have cried..... more than I already did lol.

Only use the correct filters for the cars. Filters have different filtration rates and this affects the flow and pressure through them. I would suggest you change to the correct filters ASAP.