Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 7 Rear Wheel Bearings.

Vince W

Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster here so please be gentle! :rolleyes:

We have a silver gen 7 140 premium+ style pack with the 17" alloys and noticed a droaning noise coming from the rear at sustained speeds over 40mph, not annoying particularly but noticeable.

Today we bought a carbon blue gen 7 tiptronic 190 import with a veilside body kit and 18" alloys and at around 80mph the droaning noise coming from the rear is deafening!!

Is this due to accelerated bearing wear due to the bigger alloys or is it something else? Has anyone else experienced this?

I've trawled through loads of posts on here and even googled it but can't find an answer.

Cheers. B)

Never had to change a wheel bearing on a celica. I would say that the noise is the rear tyres wearing unevenly (common on celicas)

Swap the wheels front to rear and see if the noise gets quieter/completely disappears.

If you run your hands around the tyre tread you may be able to feelthe eneven wear, usually high spots dropping to low spots on the inner edge.

Mart

Also worth checking to see whether the rubber matches on both corners. This can lead to similar symptoms to the uneven wear Mart describes.

iv changed a few rear wheel bearings on the celica but that was down to excessive play if you aint got play id go wif mart on this one as the tyres cause noise aswell :thumbsup:

Moonstone mart and midfieldwarrior, you're both spot on!! Thanks a lot fellas. :D

Gave the car a good going over today as we picked it up from Leicester on the week-end, washed it polished it Hammerited some parts ect ect.

The rear tyres are different makes and one of them is really worn on the inner edge and the tread is 'cupping' on the other.

Just ordered two tyres and now I also need rear discs and pads, as they are badly in ned of replacement. Any sugestions where from? :rolleyes:

post-46129-1191183253_thumb.jpg

Vince...i want pics of this Celica with the Veilside kit!

Hope u got the problem sorted!

These any help?

DSC00010.jpg

dsc01340by0.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links