Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scored Discs On New Car

J-Squared

I bought the car second hand 4 to 5 weeks ago (Verso 2.2 diesel 2000miles, 3months old). After reading this thread I checked the car to discover scored discs. I have written to the supplying Toyota dealer. Why was I sold a car with a known brake problem?They have agreed to replace all the discs and pads under warranty but I am not prepared to keep having the car messed with for ever and a day as some of you report the problem keeps re-occuring. Regretably, I have asked for my money back if a permanent fix is not available.Toyota should have undertaken brake development tests before releasing the vehicle on to the market, so they should have known of the problem or is it that a component supply problem exists. I have seen a current showroom model showing marks where the pads have already started to mark the disc. This indicates that they are still producing cars with this issue.The Corolla Verso is not a new vehicle, is there anybody out there who does not have scored discs to establish when the problem started, or is this already known?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hertsnminds

• Neil1968

• k+S

• Alp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I picked my car up yesterday and they had replaced both front discs and pads with no charge so I am happy.

Although £11.95 per litre of Oil sounds a bit steep and does it really take 5.9 litres of the stuff?

I'd still like to know the Toyota Bulitin reference number for this problem if it is a 'Known issue'

-Neil

Well I picked my car up yesterday and they had replaced both front discs and pads with no charge so I am happy.

Although £11.95 per litre of Oil sounds a bit steep and does it really take 5.9 litres of the stuff?

I'd still like to know the Toyota Bulitin reference number for this problem if it is a 'Known issue'

-Neil

Neil, When I next see the dealer I will ask about the bulitin reference number. In the meantime would you keep an eye on your new discs and post back if they start scoring again.

-Neil

Neil, what grade of oil? and is it fully synthetic or semi-synthetic? This will affect the price.

I have added some photos of the brake discs on my car, maybe someone could comment as to if they are scored or OK.

Hope these links work

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...si&img=4394

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...si&img=4393

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...si&img=4392

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...si&img=4391

Otherwise look in the Gallery section of the forum in the Corolla section

those pics don't look bad to me, my front offside disk has 2 distinct score marks, one nearly 1cm wide, the other nearly 0.5cm wide. and they're maybe 0.25 to 0.5mm deep.

...in fact, I had to do an emergency stop the other day on the M25 and nearly lost the car as it started to turn left under braking, meaning the scored disk had much less braking efficiency than the nearside one

I can't believe theres not a recall on this - I'll be going down to the dealer asap to get it sorted.

Graham

I have added some photos of the brake discs on my car, maybe someone could comment as to if they are scored or OK.

Hope these links work

Hope these links work

Have looked at your photos, and magnified them, and it is difficult to see if they are actually scored. 4392 offside front shows some darker wider rings. Run your finger nail across the disc and if there are deep grooves then it is scored. The disc surface should be flat and there will be very fine marks but there should not be deep grooves. Have a look at other makes of used cars discs and compare yours.

On my Verso on the front offside I have at least 8 grooves (rings), of different widths and depths across the face of the disc. My car had done 2000 miles when I noticed them.

How many miles has your verso done? Out of interest what model is it?

I have the SR D-4D and picked it up on 25 April, this year. Just reached 1,900 miles on the odometer, which is when the photos were taken.

To my eye the discs look OK, from what people are saying I was expecting to see some serious lines around the discs.

Hope these links work

Look OK to me.......................always difficult to tell from photos though

Just had all four discs changed under warranty on my two year old 12000 mile 2.2 verso. I noticed a new SR in the showroom which had scored discs. The sales staff were not concerned when I pointed it out to them. Since the discs were changed the braking is improved and the brake dust on the wheels is a slightly lighter more browny colour than it used to be. Nice of Toyota to honour the warranty but it must cost a lot of money.

Neil, When I next see the dealer I will ask about the bulitin reference number. In the meantime would you keep an eye on your new discs and post back if they start scoring again.

Thankyou Alp, I'd really appreciate that.

The replacement disks have now shown scoring after about 100 miles, and a 200 mile trip over the weekend has not improved them :(

I am stunned that this is a known issue and Toyota have not done a recall on all their affected brake pads that are in dealers stockrooms and waiting to be installed in peoples cars.

You would think that just on cost grounds they would recall the pads to stop damaging those newly replaced disks.

Out of interest does anybody know why it's only Toyota pads that are poor. No-one else seems to have this trouble and the ban on asbestos has been in place for quite a while.

-Neil

Neil, what grade of oil? and is it fully synthetic or semi-synthetic? This will affect the price.

It's fully synthetic Mobil 1 so it's good stuff.

However, the receipt shows £12.99 per litre for Oil.

Additional charges for Labour and disposal of old oil.

Then, £11.99 for a spare top up can of oil in it's own container!!!

Why can't I have 6 of those one litre cans if they are cheaper than the large 6 litre can? :rolleyes:

I've seen 5 litre cans for £43.48 on this sites Opie Oils link. That's £52.18 for 6 litres not £77.94 that the Dealer is charging and they undoubtedly get it cheaper than the Opie Oils site. :(

-Neil

Thankyou Alp, I'd really appreciate that.

The replacement disks have now shown scoring after about 100 miles, and a 200 mile trip over the weekend has not improved them :(

I am stunned that this is a known issue and Toyota have not done a recall on all their affected brake pads that are in dealers stockrooms and waiting to be installed in peoples cars.

You would think that just on cost grounds they would recall the pads to stop damaging those newly replaced disks.

Out of interest does anybody know why it's only Toyota pads that are poor. No-one else seems to have this trouble and the ban on asbestos has been in place for quite a while.

-Neil

Scoring after 100 miles is just not acceptable. Are you going back to the dealer to ask if there is a permanent fix? As I understand it, if a product is faulty, it can either be repaired, replaced or your money refunded. It's your consumer rights under the Sale of Goods Act. I am still awaiting a reply from my Toyota dealer regarding my money back for the vehicle as I deemed the the car to have faulty brakes. There is no point in the discs being replaced if they score again. I agree with your comments and I can't understand why Toyota have not yet come up with a permanent fix.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my new Verso SR 2.2 D4D in May 08. After one week and 100 miles I found score lines appearing on the back nearside and front offside discs. After reading what other people had posted on this forum I decided to wait until I had done more miles. So yesterday I took it back to the dealer at 11.30am with 1600 miles on the clock expecting an argument. The lady at service desk said that she would a get a technician to take a look. He asked me what the problem was and before we had got to the car he told me that they had changed a lot of discs and pads because of metal in the pads and that was the problem. After one look he said I needed new discs and pads all round, checked they were in stock and booked me in for 2.00pm. After 1½ hrs they were done no charge and they washed it for me has well. Other people may have problems with their dealers but mine could not have done enough for me. Very impressed with the services they gave.

My garage ( Charles Clark toyota, Bilsten rd ) has been excellent at replaceing my brakes 5 times altogether including my replacement car. My last verso 5 months old had 4 sets and a few other problems. I got it replaced with the help of trading standards. You are supposed to give the dealer a fair chance to rectify the problem ( usually at least 3 times ). If problem still continues then you can go for a replacement under your consumer rights. You can also ask for your money back but its the hardest option. Trading standards advised me that you are better going for a replacment first then a refund if issues still continue ( this is conditional though, they can deduct money for the amount enjoyment you have had out of car and its age ). My dealer gave me both options, but Toyota head office didnt want to change it or anything. There response was repair again and again!!!!!! Luckily my dealer manager had some bottle about him and change it anyway. Now my old car is on the forecourt for £16,999!!!! They wont get that when the customer see`s the service history ( If its not been binned ) My new verso 2.2 SR has had one set of brakes done already, only 500 miles on clock. Reported it after 200. As good as a dealer is, how many times do you want to visit the place, trying to organise courtesy cars and the like. Its a hassle at best. There coffe machine is great , but that not the point. If my new car continues in the same vane as my last verso then I will seek full recompense and walk. The hassle of finding another car does put people off though. If there is no permanent fix then you stand a good chance of getting what you want. This brake issue has been going on for over a year to my limited knowledge, thats poor for any manufacture let alone Toyota, the leaders in efficiency!!!!! It is beyond a joke now, come on toyota get it fixed. I will get of my soap box now. Cheers all.

:help2: Please can someone post pics of their faulty discs. And just as a matter of interest how many Verso owners have not had the disc problem?

Does anyone have any photos they can post of the disc scoring? I have had my Verso since 25 April and can't say that I have noticed any problem so far (touch wood).

What are the actual side effects of scored discs, does it make the brakes less efficient (less surface area contact)? Does it actually make them more efficient by helping to keep them cooler (grooved/drilled discs are always more expensive)?

No pics but the grooves are radial grooves (a big circle grooved into the braking surface)

It doesnt affect the braking performance in anyway at all. I have PDI'd and fuelled cars only to come back to work and find grooved discs - brakes still worked fine but they were still replaced under warranty.

It gives more surface area, doesnt cool quicker etc. Pre made drilled/grooved discs are completely different to whats happening on Avensis/Verso.

Mart.

I suppose if you had steel wheels and wheel trims you wouldn’t know if the discs were scored. It’s only due to having alloy wheels and being able to visualise the discs between the spokes that one knows about scoring.

There may be many more Toyotas that have full size steel wheels with trims and scored discs and the owners wouldn’t know. Just a thought :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone got that Toyota Scored Discs Bulitin number please?

Thanks

-Neil

Hi

I'm a new member and this is my first post :-)

Did anyone ever find the bulletin number relating to the scored discs? I have a Verso 2.2D with 2 scored discs, it now has 8,500 miles on the clock but they were there when we bought it with 4,000 miles on the clock.

I visited a dealer today and I was told they are not covered by the warranty as the car is older than 6 months and the grroves are probably due to a stone being trapped. They were also unaware of any bulletin.

Does any one know of a dealer in Berkshire/Hampshire that acknowledges that there is an issue with scored discs and knows about the bulletin and is willing to do something about it under warranty?

Moonstone_Mart, I see you are based in the Stoke area. if you read this then I frequently visit the Stoke area and could call into your dealership for your opinion. Please let me know which dealership you work at if this is OK with you. That would be a great help.

Thanks

Dave

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Just joined this forum so this is my first post.

Interesting to read so may people have problems with scored discs. I wish i had read this a few weeks ago.

I have just took delivery of a verso SR D4D and after only 150 miles have severe scored front disks. I thought they were making too much noise when i drove the car away from dealership.

Anyway will be back in touch with the dealers monday. Should not be a problem as same as K + S in previous post (Charles Clark of Bilston)

Will keep posted on results.

:( :(

:help2: Please can someone post pics of their faulty discs. And just as a matter of interest how many Verso owners have not had the disc problem?

Here is a good picture of one of my scored discs after only 170miles. Booked in dealer for this friday to have all discs and pads replaced. :( :(

Hope the attachment works. Have not uploaded any pics before

post-69738-1227528899_thumb.jpg

oh thats not nice!!!!

i've just had new toyota discs and pads all round on the warrenty about a month ago which is about 50 miles ago since i can not drive at the min!!! i haven't had scoring but i'm getting rust rings where the pads aren't touching the whole disc! probably becuase they haven't bedded it properly yet??????

Those certainly look worse than mine. Now have 8,000 miles on the clock and the discs look like this. I have to say I didn't think there was a problem until I looked at the pics, which seem to be showing some scoring, but not as bad as Bainites pic.

post-58076-1227536746_thumb.jpg

post-58076-1227536762_thumb.jpg

i wouldn't say thats too bad matey!!!

pretty consistant over the entire disc