Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 New Car Clutch Problem

shamus19

ah yeh, same engine and what not

will let you know how it goes with the gearbox

matt

are these french built, toyota's usually have 75/90w gear oil, some french built toyota's and the new type 6 speeds in avensis and rav's use just 75w grade, if you use the wrong oil it will cause difficult selection

matt

are these french built, toyota's usually have 75/90w gear oil, some french built toyota's and the new type 6 speeds in avensis and rav's use just 75w grade, if you use the wrong oil it will cause difficult selection

Yes, i have a French built one, Gulp !!

I don't really think this is the cause of the problems in my case, and won't really answer why i can't even get the beast in 1st gear sometimes, without double clutching.

I have been told the gearbox oil has been done in my car, and how come the french cars need different oil ?.. surely if the gearbox is correctly made and designed from the outset, then that should be enough. ?..

Mmm, last car my dear late father had to double de-clutch with, was an Austin Seven made in the 1920 s !.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion

Regards

Techy

matt

Yes, i have a French built one, Gulp !!

I don't really think this is the cause of the problems in my case, and won't really answer why i can't even get the beast in 1st gear sometimes, without double clutching.

I have been told the gearbox oil has been done in my car, and how come the french cars need different oil ?.. surely if the gearbox is correctly made and designed from the outset, then that should be enough. ?..

Mmm, last car my dear late father had to double de-clutch with, was an Austin Seven made in the 1920 s !.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion

Regards

Techy

I too have a Yaris,2007. I have always had trouble engaging first and second gear when the weather is cold.The Toyota dealer first replaced the oil for a lighter oil but when the touble continued, the first and second gears were replaced which made a slight improvement but the touble still persists.When the car has warmed up I have no problem.This is obviously a manufacturing fault and I shall be seeking further advice.

lol, your not filling me with confidence!

mine went in (again) yesterday, and they have rung and told me a couple of things...

They have found faults inside the gearbox (thankfully i suspose that they have found them!) and it needs loads of new parts, so many i cant remember them lol! i know syncro rings and a something balancer was mentions, along with links? and seals.

but anyway, they havnt got three of the required parts in stock, and so instead of getting the car this friday, it will be the 20th before its done, which im not too bothered about because theyve give me a bran new aygo as a courtesy car for the tme being. and im surprised how much i actually like the aygo - even tho its got peugeot and citroen stampped all over it!

so to summarise...

not happy the car has faults like this

but happy theyve found the problem, are fixing it under warrenty, and are lending me a car while they do it.

so overall my status is happy lol

Matt

ok got the car back...

not had it back long but guess what!....MORE PROBLEMS!

so theyve changed a few bits...and the gear change is a lot tighter, and slips in dead easy when warm...but once again, when starting from cold 1st & 2nd and sometimes reverse are difficult going in..and a new problem...the gear stick no longer centres itself!

the gear stick...supposed to centre itself when in neutral..and it does if you move it to the right (5th and reverse), but move it to the left (1st &2nd) and it does not centre, it stays put...meaning you have to move the stick back to centre to get 3rd and 4th...if you get me,... it doesnt centre itself.

getting bored of taking it in now,

Matt

Cut your losses and take a gamble on something else mate. You sound justifiably sick of it. Toyota are a load of rubbish these days. Even the 'letters' in their Today Tomorrow magazine that harp on about 'legendary reliability' now all relate to old bangers like the Carina and early generation Corollas. From personal experience, Toyota are no better than anyone else these days.

No doubt someone will be along in a minute to bang on about satisfaction surveys or friday afternoon cars etc but that doesn't fix your clutch does it!

Hi Chris...funny you should say that, as today i have been weighing up what to buy when i sell this yaris (sometime soon)

it does seem toyota have cut back on their standards of manufacture and what i have here is a rubish french built car...which is a shame as i do like the yaris as a car, but cant be doing with this troublsome gearbox problem, which i feel will never get rectified...it seems to be a design fault, given the amount of people on this forum with the same car with the same complaint.

only problem is, what to change to? im worried about jumping out of the frying pan into the fire...

the cars i have been thinking about is (all the newish versions)

VW Fox

VW polo

Suski Swift

Ford KA (not the very latest one as thats a fiat!)

Ford Fiesta (again not the very latest one that looks just like a bigger new shape KA, and possibly shares chassis/engines with the fiat punto)

mitshu Colt

Reno Clio

and possibly a few others which i have forgot about now...

but basicly, after sitting in them all...

iv decided the VW fox is of poor standard and is no good.

The polo is nice but very plain..and gets a bit pricey for anything above an E

swift...expensive and dont like the inside (bit cheap and naff)

ford ka i like...but basic and a bit girly...but otherwise perfect

Fiesta...ok but quality and reliablity and depreciation might be an issue

the Colt was total crap

and the clio i like...but its a reno...and possibly made next door to where this !Removed! yaris was!

im thinking of a VW polo, about a year old with low milage...only thing is, their a bit boring inside compared to the yaris -- plain dark plastic everywhere.

So where do i go!

Matt :unsure:

ok the yaris has gone.......back into the garage!

the gear stick doesnt self centre, and it wouldnt go in 1st yesterday at all.

we went on a test drive, but the gear problem did not appear because it was warmed up (been driving it for 2 hours before i took it in)...so the yaris is spending the night outside on the dealers forecourt.

the engineer will test drive it tomorrow - and im praying the car shows its fault!! but as we all know, these things tend to work fine when you least want them too! typical sods law as they say.

so far, all thats been agreed is that the gear stick centralling problem will be fixed - as that fault is obvious...but the gear box will depend on tomorrows test drive...if he deems it as ok, then thats it, i will have to lump it.

Grand stuff

Matt

The stick not centralising isn't the end of the world but if the other problems persist then I can still understand your frustration. 1st gear is hard to do without!!!

As for other cars... well none of them are perfect! Out of those I'd go for a Swift - i think they're comparitively cheap compared to the others and the 1.5 engine will have a bit more poke than the rest. I've heard a lot of whinges lately about VW build quality (seems to be going the same way as Toyota) so hows about a last generation Fiesta - many cheap deals to be had on those now the new shape is out. Everyone generally bashes Ford (me included) but parts and dealers are plentiful and they're probably no more unrelaible than the Yaris. Go for a 1.4. Or one that's not on your list is the Corsa. A mate of mine who's a big Ford fan test drove one for his missus and was very impressed. I've only been in the VXR model and was impresssed. But the 1.2/1.4 may fall out of your price range?

• 2 weeks later...

toyota are aware that in some instances the wrong oil was used at production so 75w should cure it. as for self center, it should, it sounds like the repair ballsed up

• 1 year later...

Yaris 1.3 Nov 2007

Clutch judder started from 600 miles and only when car left for 2 days or more and weather cold.

Car is now in garage having the clutch changed. No questions asked.

They hinted that they had not changed many. Which in mind means it's a known fault.

So anybody out there reading this if you have a recent 1.3 Yaris make sure you try leaving the car out in the cold for a few days and then drive it.

If you drive the car everyday you may have the fault but will never notice it. That's based on the assumption that the fault does not get worse over time.

With the warm weather the fault will go away. So you may not notice the problem for a year.

Will the garages change the clutch on a one year old car? That is the question all will they blame the driver for riding the clutch.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the fault is fixed and the gearbox still works OK afterwards.

Will post here again once I have road tested the car on Monday after leaving all weekend.

This is my first Toyota and depending on the outcome may be my last.

Could I ask that anybody with the same fault on a 2007/2008 Yaris do a quick post.

Car Model

Brought

Fault fixed?

If fault fixed what was the fix? New clutch?

If new clucth was the gear change OK afterwards

I have currently got a 2009 Yaris 1.33TR 6 speed courtesy car while my T2 is having an electrical system fault fixed (which is another long story)

I have not experienced any clutch judder on the 1.33 but 1st gear and reverse are quite difficult to engage. My own 2009 T2 1.0 DOES have slight clutch judder when cold but the gear shifts are much smoother and no problems engaging any gears.

I have driven 4 different 2009 TR 6 Speed Yaris now, and they have all had stiff gearboxes compared to the 5 speed T2.

i Guys, I am new to this forum, so hello to all. :thumbsup:

My problem is this. I bought a new 2007 Yaris only 10 days ago and have already had one new clutch fitted. Now I am really getting mad as I think the problem has returned and I will yet again need another clutch. Its hard sometimes to get the car into reverse once I stop, and travelling along, it is not easy sometimes to get into second gear either up or down the box.

Just wonder if I can get a NEW car or my money back. :help:

Shamus

Shamus you would be wise to contact your local trading standards or citizens advice - they will be able to advise you on the legal position and which steps you need to take

i Guys, I am new to this forum, so hello to all. :thumbsup:

My problem is this. I bought a new 2007 Yaris only 10 days ago and have already had one new clutch fitted. Now I am really getting mad as I think the problem has returned and I will yet again need another clutch. Its hard sometimes to get the car into reverse once I stop, and travelling along, it is not easy sometimes to get into second gear either up or down the box.

Just wonder if I can get a NEW car or my money back. :help:

Shamus

Shamus you would be wise to contact your local trading standards or citizens advice - they will be able to advise you on the legal position and which steps you need to take

That would have been sound advice 3 years ago when he posted. By now Shamus is prolly on his 3rd BMW. :help:

• 9 years later...

I'm having the same problem tbh. My clutch has just gone again tonight whilst driving it's no joke. Can anyone recommend a good make of clutch to go for or do I just buy another car as this is the second time now. 

22 minutes ago, Heather 76 said:

I'm having the same problem tbh. My clutch has just gone again tonight whilst driving it's no joke. Can anyone recommend a good make of clutch to go for or do I just buy another car as this is the second time now. 

You should really start a new thread for this question giving as much information as you can.

Tell us about the car, the age, mileage, history of clutch etc.

Would have been better to start a new topic rather than resurrect a 12 year old one.

More information would be useful to membere - such as which engine, how many miles have been covered since the last clutch change, the type of driving you do, whether it is a manual transmission or multi mode transmission, etc