Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replaced My Broken Key Fob

anemo

So... I'm one of many Yaris owners that got a broken key fob. I got tired of it since I was unable to use the key to start the engine and it looked like complete crap so I orded a replacement key (CE123) from this guy on Ebay. Unfortunately the key blade will not fit the Yaris since this is a CE0123 key. I think that the Yaris version is CE0122 and the whole idea was just to get a new case for the remote unit. I cut the key blade at the base of the key fob since it was useless and wasn't going to be used. The original key blade was cut loose from the plastic in the broken key fob and I will try to attach it to something so that I will be able to use it as a key again. The result:

28014265927.jpg 28014265967.jpg

Key fob with remote unit. It's not a complete key but it looks better than a broken one... :)

28014190535.jpg

The original key blade cut loose from the broken key fob.

So... I'm one of many Yaris owners that got a broken key fob. I got tired of it since I was unable to use the key to start the engine and it looked like complete crap so I orded a replacement key (CE123) from this guy on Ebay. Unfortunately the key blade will not fit the Yaris since this is a CE0123 key. I think that the Yaris version is CE0122 and the whole idea was just to get a new case for the remote unit. I cut the key blade at the base of the key fob since it was useless and wasn't going to be used. The original key blade was cut loose from the plastic in the broken key fob and I will try to attach it to something so that I will be able to use it as a key again. The result:

Key fob with remote unit. It's not a complete key but it looks better than a broken one... :)

28014190535.jpg

I think I would just swallow hard and go get a new replacement from Mr.T! They may be expensive but so is every other main dealer who have these types of keys. Security is the main issue. Also, unsual but some insurance policies cover stuff like broken keys etc. If you have to eplace a complete set and the ecu, it may be better to lose a bit of no-claims rather then fork out!

28014190535.jpg

I think I would just swallow hard and go get a new replacement from Mr.T! They may be expensive but so is every other main dealer who have these types of keys. Security is the main issue. Also, unsual but some insurance policies cover stuff like broken keys etc. If you have to eplace a complete set and the ecu, it may be better to lose a bit of no-claims rather then fork out!

One advantage with a bladeless key fob is that it will not break since you use the other key which has a solid "grip"... It feels like it's just a question of time before a new key fob with key blade will break. I'm thinking of ordering another CE0123 key fob and try to replace the uncut blade with my original cut blade from the broken key fob. But it will probably also break after a while.

Folks, no matter how many times I read it, i'm struggling to get the gist of the problem here. I'm sure it's me.

Broke key, got different one, plip works, blade doesn't, uses new plip to open doors, old blade to start car!

Incidentally, how come people seem to break 'em? I have been using mine for 5 years, not even had to change the Battery on it!

Folks, no matter how many times I read it, i'm struggling to get the gist of the problem here. I'm sure it's me.

Broke key, got different one, plip works, blade doesn't, uses new plip to open doors, old blade to start car!

Incidentally, how come people seem to break 'em? I have been using mine for 5 years, not even had to change the Battery on it!

So far, so good....So why saw the key off the old fob?

We have loads of people come in for replacement keys as they have snapped them...even on cars less than 6 months old!!

I think they are just too forcefull with them when starting the car/opening doors....not pushing the key all the way home before turning and trying to turn it further than the ignition/door barrels will go.

Mart

So far, so good....So why saw the key off the old fob?

Well, actually I didn't. I just removed the key blade from the broken fob. :)