Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 1.4 Vvti Tick Over Speed

phillipford

Hi All

Well this is my first post on this site so please do be gentle with me, Ok then i would like to know if it is possible to adjust the tick over speed of my 03 1.4 vvti.

If so could you describe how to either by pics or written instructions , also is it possible to get a work shop manual for this car any where.

Thanks for looking and any advice given all the very best Adam

I don't know but no-one else has posted yet so this can't hurt........... Your idle speed will be controlled by your ecu, so you'll have to mess with that unless you want to actually change some-thing physical in the car like a throttle body etc.

Is there a problem with the speed? Should be around 600-700, or 1000+ from cold. As for workshop manual, ask a toyota garage.

Correct. The idle speed is controlled by a valve on the side of a 4ZZ throttle body. You'll see two electrical connections on the throttle body. One is the throttle sensor and is the one opposite where the cable connection goes on. The Idle control is adjacent to the cable connection. Any mechanical adjustments you make to the throttle body the ECU will attempt to counteract in an attempt to idle at it's control level.

The idle speed should be 600~700rpm. It'll be higher when cold though (sometimes as high as 1500~2000rpm when cold) to aid warm up. It's more fuel efficient to run like this (warms up faster and can get to the optimum air fuel mix faster) and also heats the catalyst faster.

Why do you want to change the idle speed?

Correct. The idle speed is controlled by a valve on the side of a 4ZZ throttle body. You'll see two electrical connections on the throttle body. One is the throttle sensor and is the one opposite where the cable connection goes on. The Idle control is adjacent to the cable connection. Any mechanical adjustments you make to the throttle body the ECU will attempt to counteract in an attempt to idle at it's control level.

The idle speed should be 600~700rpm. It'll be higher when cold though (sometimes as high as 1500~2000rpm when cold) to aid warm up. It's more fuel efficient to run like this (warms up faster and can get to the optimum air fuel mix faster) and also heats the catalyst faster.

Why do you want to change the idle speed?

Hi all

Many thanks for your replys, i just think that the engine is running to slow at 600 rpm as the whole engine is vibrating as though its ready to stall almost, as soon as you touch it up on the throttle by say 150 rpm it runs as sweet as a nut.

all the best Adam

• 2 weeks later...

About the workshop manual thing..... I looked for one on the haynes website, but they didn't have one for the E12. However today I bought one in Halfords for July97 to Feb02 (P to 51reg), having realised the old corolla had the same 1.4 vvt-i engine (4ZZ-FE). Apart from very minor differences it seems to apply to the E12 very well.

Also, if your engine is idling rough you should get a full service. If you don't want to fork out, use cleaning additives and replace your fuel filter. Shell V-power petrol can't hurt either.

As above, the correct idle speed when warm is 600rpm.

Mart