Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Powertec Intake

skipper215

Just fitted a powertec intake to my compressor, to be honest I don't think it's made any difference.

If anything I think it's made my car slower at the lower rev range. :angry:

Has anyone else encountered this?

Just fitted a powertec intake to my compressor, to be honest I don't think it's made any difference.

If anything I think it's made my car slower at the lower rev range. :angry:

Has anyone else encountered this?

Hi skipper

an extra 13 hp there mate :D

HOOVER :thumbsup:

My knowledge is limited but forcing the air into the engine is the job of the supercharger. It inputs a massive amount of air/oxygen into the engine and your intake is probably effecting the balance of air and reducing the effectiveness of the supercharger... at a guess.

Maybe you notice it more at the lower revs because the supercharger can't get the air it needs, it cuts out after about 5k i think (around there) and maybe your intake benefits from this point.

I have the same one fitted and find it's great.

The car is lively and pulls hard in all gears and the whine of the 'charger is intoxicating :thumbsup:

I think the mid-range has improved as well.

Best of all it's half the price on the K&N kit :P

Must admit it makes a wicked noise :clap:

It pulls good when the revs are up, its just at the lower range it seems to struggle.

Have only had it out once since I fitted it, might need to get used to it.

Strange about the low revs issue ;)

I do a lot of city driving and the car is quite torquey from low revs in heavy traffic.

Had the car out for a thrashing and the trc and vsc lights keep coming on with the engine light. :angry::angry::angry:

Just re set the ecu, but if it carries on I think I'll put the stock box with the panel filter back on.

Interesting, I have had the lights issue but don't see how it is connected to the traction control.

My car is great if thrashed but I have had the lights when stationary in traffic although it's very rare with no particular pattern to it.

I just called PowerTec to ask them if they have heard of it and it's news to them :huh:

They are investigating and are going to call me back.

The thing is, I don't see how any of this should affect the traction control ;)

Just got back from Mr T's as the lights had come on again.

Basically the fault code reader said 'lean condition'.

Now, the instructions on the PowerTec kit said to connect the vacuum/breather to the mass air adaptor pipe but originally I did it differently as in the photo.

I used the small rubber blanking cap to block off the open end off the vacuum 'T' and capped off the pipe sticking out of the mass air adaptor with a valve cap of all things.

The car ran fine but when I put it as per the instructions the lights came on.

PowerTec say the kit was designed for the T-Sport and has given no problems so I wonder if the pipework on the Compressor is slightly different and gives the result we are experiencing.

I have put mine back as I had it originally and all seems fine now.

Might be worth trying it yourselves ;)

DSC01138.jpg

Just got back from Mr T's as the lights had come on again.

Basically the fault code reader said 'lean condition'.

Now, the instructions on the PowerTec kit said to connect the vacuum/breather to the mass air adaptor pipe but originally I did it differently as in the photo.

I used the small rubber blanking cap to block off the open end off the vacuum 'T' and capped off the pipe sticking out of the mass air adaptor with a valve cap of all things.

The car ran fine but when I put it as per the instructions the lights came on.

PowerTec say the kit was designed for the T-Sport and has given no problems so I wonder if the pipework on the Compressor is slightly different and gives the result we are experiencing.

I have put mine back as I had it originally and all seems fine now.

Might be worth trying it yourselves ;)

DSC01138.jpg

Hi there, i'm interested to hear why no-one uses a heat shield other than me. I've seen lots of inductions kits fitted on these boards, but no one has actually bothered with a heat shield. My engine gets very hot even on short relaxed journeys, so all that hot air under the bonnet cannot be a good thing for the filter? Dries it out etc... Which reminds me i must get a oiling kit for my filter.

Thanks

Armz.

Hi Armz, you are absolutely right.

Not many kits include a heat shield but it would make a big difference.

I am actually making one in aluminium for mine but don't have a lot of time spare to do it at the moment.

Did your kit come with one?

Hi Armz, you are absolutely right.

Not many kits include a heat shield but it would make a big difference.

I am actually making one in aluminium for mine but don't have a lot of time spare to do it at the moment.

Did your kit come with one?

I got mine from eBay for i think 10 pounds. Very shiney and it's branded Alpiro.

Heres some pics.

Image022.jpg

Image021.jpg

Pics are a few weeks old, i have a different brace installed now. Cusco.

Have you fitted the 2nd air inlet pipe by any chance, atleast without a heatshield you will still get alot of cold air coming in, but only when you are moving, stationary the hot air from the engine will go straight back into the filter, thats where the heatsheild makes perfect sense to me.

These engines really do get very very hot, so hot infact its too hot to touch after a 10minute short drive with no use of lift. I know it has no problems as i passed a full mot today with everything still fitted.

Thanks

Armz.

Image021.jpg

Armz.

That isn't going to make a blind bit of difference!

How so? Or would the heat sheild need to be an unclosed type? Don't think they even make them for our corollas.

It does keep dirt and water off the filter tho. Sometimes after washing my car with my jetwash or after its been raining, i will pop the bonnet and see there is some water drops on the heatsheild. So water does find its way in, granted its not much, but better on the heatsheild than the filter.

Armz.

how good are these for the standard t sport, how do they compare to the k&n and other top brands...?

hi, had a powertec on a cts for about 8/10 months sounds awesome, feels like its boosted performance (maybe just carrried away by sound) easy to fit, no problems with wires to sensors (as some find that they have to tease some slack to connect to k&n). No need to remove Battery to take out air intake pipe, just leave it in, it sits right next to filter just ad a bit of extra piping/ducting to other end and you get cold air fed straight to filter. Hope to get on a roling road soon see if i can get 210bhp out of her.

Still waiting for north west cts meet.

How so? Or would the heat sheild need to be an unclosed type? Don't think they even make them for our corollas.

It does keep dirt and water off the filter tho. Sometimes after washing my car with my jetwash or after its been raining, i will pop the bonnet and see there is some water drops on the heatsheild. So water does find its way in, granted its not much, but better on the heatsheild than the filter.

Armz.

If you can box it in and feed cold air into there from the wing then you will definitely gain a few ponies. You could ghetto it out of a piece of alu. If space is an issue you could include the Battery in the enclosure too, would neaten up the bay somewhat!

Just my two cents, sorry I wasn't in the best of moods earlier. I'm currently feeling under the weather with pleurisy :(

Armz.

If you can box it in and feed cold air into there from the wing then you will definitely gain a few ponies. You could ghetto it out of a piece of alu. If space is an issue you could include the Battery in the enclosure too, would neaten up the bay somewhat!

Just my two cents, sorry I wasn't in the best of moods earlier. I'm currently feeling under the weather with pleurisy :(

Hey it's ok. No problem. Hope you make a full and speedy recovery :thumbsup:

The box it in idea sounds rather good. Including the Battery would be even nicer as the Battery does look slightly ugly right next to my 57i and heatsheild. I may ask my bodyshop about it and see if they are handy enough to fabricate one up for me with a nice and clever securing mechanism. I hate things which are loose and wobble around making a noise when driving. Thanks for the tip! :yes:

Cheers

Armz.

Armz.

The box it in idea sounds rather good. Including the Battery would be even nicer as the Battery does look slightly ugly right next to my 57i and heatsheild. I may ask my bodyshop about it and see if they are handy enough to fabricate one up for me with a nice and clever securing mechanism. I hate things which are loose and wobble around making a noise when driving. Thanks for the tip! :yes:

Cheers

Armz.

For securing it down you could unscrew the wing nuts, drill relevant holes in the aluminum and then secure back down using fixings already on the car. Then you can have it come out and sit on the purtruding chasis leg if this is doable. Just fix a nice bit of rubber stripping where it will sit to stop any unwanted vibrations. As long as the cold air intake is large enough any small gaps on the enclosure will not be a problem.

Joe

Armz.

Cheers

Armz.

For securing it down you could unscrew the wing nuts, drill relevant holes in the aluminum and then secure back down using fixings already on the car. Then you can have it come out and sit on the purtruding chasis leg if this is doable. Just fix a nice bit of rubber stripping where it will sit to stop any unwanted vibrations. As long as the cold air intake is large enough any small gaps on the enclosure will not be a problem.

Joe

Excellent idea! Will get onto that next week. I dont think any holes will be a problem as i have dual air intakes. So there is a heck of a lot of cold air coming in, only when moving though.

Out of curiosity have you made one for any of your cars? Would be great to see one in the flesh, so i can expand more on designs etc..

Thanks again.

Armz.