Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Traction Control And Vsc Lights

chrisio

I have experienced a strange quirk lately, namely my engine light comes on along with the traction light and VSC light and both functions seem to have switched off :o

If I disconnect the Battery all resets ok and can be fine until I get stuck in traffic and then they come back.

I have a cold air kit on but if the car is getting warm surely it should have nothing to do with the areas described ;)

I can book the car in but don't want them accusing the CAI kit without looking at anything else.

Anybody else had this?

Hi

You might have dirt on the ABS/VSC wheel sensors, may be? For the VSC light to be on. I'm not sure if my engine management light used to come on too.

I had a Corolla TS for 35,000 miles. It's VSC light would come on for no reason, then it would be ok when the car was switched on & off.

Paul

:wacko:

Hi

You might have dirt on the ABS/VSC wheel sensors, may be? For the VSC light to be on. I'm not sure if my engine management light used to come on too.

I had a Corolla TS for 35,000 miles. It's VSC light would come on for no reason, then it would be ok when the car was switched on & off.

Paul

:wacko:

Do you have the K and N typhoon system fitted if so you need to reconnect the vaccum pipe back onto the inlet manifold mine didi it until i refitted this pipe then it cured it

I have experienced a strange quirk lately, namely my engine light comes on along with the traction light and VSC light and both functions seem to have switched off :o

If I disconnect the battery all resets ok and can be fine until I get stuck in traffic and then they come back.

I have a cold air kit on but if the car is getting warm surely it should have nothing to do with the areas described ;)

I can book the car in but don't want them accusing the CAI kit without looking at anything else.

Anybody else had this?

If I disconnect the battery all resets ok and can be fine until I get stuck in traffic and then they come back.

Anybody else had this?

Hi chriso

exactly the same problem as myself.the last time this happen was just after my dyno run :unsure:

disconnected the NEG lead and reset it it has not come on since.Booked the car in to MR T

only to be told that next time the VSC & TRAC light's are on bring it in.It's probably a sensor on a wheel.

HOOVER :thumbsup:

Possibly you have a dodgy ECU.

Dingles in Norwich, from whom I bought the car, couldn't be bothered undertaking the work even though it was covered by warranty at the time and claimed that at around £500 it was expensive, then they swapped the ABS loom (£1000 so go figure?) and finally told me they put new tyres on and said "I'm confident that will cure the problem" Again, figure that one out if you can, tyres curing a duff computer!

Anyhow, I moved to Liverpool (not one of my best moves) and had the car serviced at Johnsons of Bootle. On collection I enquired as to whether he'd heard of the problem. He had, and said they didn't muck around, they simply put in a new ECU, which they did for me first time the fault re-appeared. So big thumbs up for the folks at Johnsons.

If you're still under warranty then go for it, it took me 18 months to sort it out, although I think some folks on here live with it happily, I just felt I didn't want stuck with a turkey after shelling out the cash and that particular fault hasn't re-occurred since the ECU change.

Cheers.

I know this sounds crazy but the same happened to me when i had the compressor.

I was tootling around town for some time not going over about 4k rpm. Lights came on, pulled over scratched head, worried, panicked... switched car off etc.

Then decided to get onto the dual carriageway and give it a good thrashing as it was driving fine and had warmed up sufficiently. Lights did go away after i did this. Sounds stupid but thats how i fixed it. Only happened once and never followed it up with toyota.

Back in may I had a problem with my TS Compressor (Link to thread), the speedo would drop to 0mph and the steering warning light would come on.. after numerous checks at MrT no fault was found.. however after contacting TTE i was informed that it was the EU Emissions Box that sits behind the instrument cluster, which Mr T didn't even know existed as it is part of the TTE kit, the TTE technician said that the symptoms I had were just a few of the things that can happen with the cluster lights.. maybe your problem is related in a similar way, I was told that it was only after some cars went out of the factory that this faulty part was found.. it isn't all Compressors that are affected. I had the part replaced under warranty.

If Mr. T can't find it.. drop an email to....

Schäfer, Norbert

E-mail Address(es):

Norbert.Schaefer@toyota-f1.com

I'm sure it was yourself who dealt with him in the past.. was very helpful to me.. top bloke :)

Thanks to all for your comments.

I did actually have a new ECU fitted after Norberts intervention when I had my running problems in the past so it may be a dodgy replacement unit.

Interesting about the EU Emissions Box, might try that route as the dealers know very little about the changes made to the car.

Hoover, how did you get on? Mine first did it a couple of weeks ago but I thought I would see how you got on before I mentioned it :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for your comments.

I did actually have a new ECU fitted after Norberts intervention when I had my running problems in the past so it may be a dodgy replacement unit.

Interesting about the EU Emissions Box, might try that route as the dealers know very little about the changes made to the car.

Hoover, how did you get on? Mine first did it a couple of weeks ago but I thought I would see how you got on before I mentioned it :rolleyes:

Hi chrisio last time it happed, was saturday reset it and left my power tec system on.Took it to mr t

on monday,no problem with the power tec system being left on ,but they said that I should have

brought it in with the light's on VSC & TRAC as they could'nt find any fault's.Been OK since.

HOOVER :thumbsup:

Mine first happened when I was down at the Jap Racer day at Shakespeare County Raceway.

The car was fine but while I was queueing to run the lights came on.

I did the run ok (abeit without traction control) then reset it.

A couple of more runs and it was fine then it happened again while I was stationary :huh:

It only happened one more time while in traffic but since then I have been in similar situations and it hasn't occured so there is no sequence to it ;)

Maybe next time it happens I'll go straight to Mr T :rolleyes:

I also posted this in the PowerTec Intake thread as it's related :)

Just got back from Mr T's as the lights had come on again.

Basically the fault code reader said 'lean condition'.

Now, the instructions on the PowerTec kit said to connect the vacuum/breather to the mass air adaptor pipe but originally I did it differently as in the photo.

I used the small rubber blanking cap to block off the open end off the vacuum 'T' and capped off the pipe sticking out of the mass air adaptor with a valve cap of all things.

The car ran fine but when I put it as per the instructions the lights came on.

PowerTec say the kit was designed for the T-Sport and has given no problems so I wonder if the pipework on the Compressor is slightly different and gives the result we are experiencing.

I have put mine back as I had it originally and all seems fine now.

Might be worth trying it yourselves

DSC01138.jpg

I have had the same problem for the last 8 months its been into toyota 10 times, at first they replaced the oxygen sensor then a load of other sensors, then a complete exhaust system, an ecu and finally and so far the car seems ok new injectors, basically the impression i got was they really had no idea what the cause was they had mentioned before the car was running rich, so they changed the injectors this time i've only had it back a week but so far so good (last time i had it back i only did 70 miles before the fault returned) ...

Hope this might help...

All suggestions are welcome :)

When I got the car back I tightened all the pipes on the induction system and found one or two of the the Toyota jubilee clips were a little loose.

Since doing that and the previous mod all seems ok at the moment ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I seen this 2wice now. If you stop and switch off completely then back on everything is fine. Mr T did a full system check no problems. Iv found that these lights come on especially if you bit a bump quite hard.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links