Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Quietest Times On M25

miss_d_bus

I'm planning on driving my Aygo from around Dover to Suffolk next week. Since I learnt to drive in Suffolk (no motorways!!), this motorway driving is a bit new to me. i would prefer to do the journey with less traffic about, partly to get there quicker though I am used to dock traffic, I want to avoid the stresses as I have not driven that sort of distance in one go before.

When is the M25 at its quietest? I would like to avoid the craziness at the Dartford Crossing you see.

i understand from a lorry driver that the M25 is busy at 6am week days.

Thanks!

I'm planning on driving my Aygo from around Dover to Suffolk next week. Since I learnt to drive in Suffolk (no motorways!!), this motorway driving is a bit new to me. i would prefer to do the journey with less traffic about, partly to get there quicker though I am used to dock traffic, I want to avoid the stresses as I have not driven that sort of distance in one go before.

When is the M25 at its quietest? I would like to avoid the craziness at the Dartford Crossing you see.

Thanks!

The M25 is usually always busy.

If going on the M25 for the first time give yourself plenty of time for the journey and do try to keep calm and unhastled by other traffic around you.

A good tip is to have your toll fee ready (£1-00), this is payable on the South (Kent) side of the river prior to going under the dartford tunnel.

On your return journey you will go over the QE2 bridge and pay your toll at the far end of the bridge.

I hope your journey is safe and uneventful..............let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

The M25 is usually always busy.

If going on the M25 for the first time give yourself plenty of time for the journey and do try to keep calm and unhastled by other traffic around you.

A good tip is to have your toll fee ready (£1-00), this is payable on the South (Kent) side of the river prior to going under the dartford tunnel.

On your return journey you will go over the QE2 bridge and pay your toll at the far end of the bridge.

I hope your journey is safe and uneventful..............let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Thank you! I spoke to my father earlier today who had the same advice regarding the toll so it would save getting stressed out by someone behind me getting inpatient as I can't find my bag and then purse in my bag and then a pound in my purse... :eek:

I have driven on the M20, A20 and A2 without any problems over in Kent and 5 years ago on the A12 and A14 in Essex/Suffolk so I am familar with lots of lorries being nearby since I have live/d near two big ports (Dover and Felixstowe). I have it etched on my mind about not driving on the right side of a lorry going round a roundabout in case it tips over and crushes me. It has happened to people in Felixstowe so I definitely keep out of their way! I'd rather sit in the left lane all the way and be calm than to be all over the place and get stressed out.

I have a Tomtom on order so I hope that will help me but I know they aren't perfect so I don't want to be a fool who drives into a river or something as 'Tomtom said so...'

I think I will head off at 7pm so I can avoid some of the traffic. Even if it is busy, it should be not jam packed at Wednesday evening at 8:30-9pm!?

Thanks for the tips :)

Thanks!

Sunday 03:30 am :unsure: :( :unsure:

M25 Quiet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sometimes yes and best after rush hour say 7:30 ish... if anything does happen on the raod to cause congestion it normally happens quickly and jams up good and proper..

Just to note... they have installed Specs between J 28 and J27 so watch yea speed there... the gantry cameras on the speed matrix signs around by Heathrow do work and will be going digital soon...so no loss of film and are set at the speed shown on the signs when lit.

On general it is a good road when it works but you get loads of motorist speeding and lane hogging so keep your wits about you when using it. Some parts of the M25 are 6 lanes near Heathrow and also the new terminal 5 junction has changed, so some satnav's may not be upto date with this...

Dartford crossing is normally very busy in the mornings as people go to work etc or some one decides the shape of the car/lorry in front needs changing :wacko: . Worst time to use this motorway is Monday Morning and Friday nights..as they are generally the busiest.... best plan your route before hand and allow plenty of time incase of unexpected delays...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There's no fear about speeding!! I'm the tightest person when it comes to spending money so I am very happy to do the speed limit (or below!) ;) At the same time, I try not to drive like some old granny on her weekly drive to Tesco!

I appreciate i am not a very experienced driver having taken a 5 year gap from it whilst a student but with this in mind, I try to maintain huge gaps between myself and other people in case i do make a mistake. Anyway motorways aren't so different from big A roads! In fact aren't they safer generally due to the lack of bends and people going in the same direction at similar speeds?

I'd rather get up at 2am to drive if it meant it was easier. I reckon I will do the 3:30am Sunday drive to get home ready for work on Monday :crybaby:

There's no fear about speeding!! I'm the tightest person when it comes to spending money so I am very happy to do the speed limit (or below!) ;) At the same time, I try not to drive like some old granny on her weekly drive to Tesco!

I appreciate i am not a very experienced driver having taken a 5 year gap from it whilst a student but with this in mind, I try to maintain huge gaps between myself and other people in case i do make a mistake. Anyway motorways aren't so different from big A roads! In fact aren't they safer generally due to the lack of bends and people going in the same direction at similar speeds?

I'd rather get up at 2am to drive if it meant it was easier. I reckon I will do the 3:30am Sunday drive to get home ready for work on Monday :crybaby:

Hi, couple of tips,

Before set off, check lights,tyres,fluids etc.

When joining, get up to speed on slip road that matches the traffic (60ish) and keep left unless overtaking. If you maintain a good 60+ then you will get no hassle from trucks (limited to 56). Look in the short, middle and long distance ahead, looking for trouble(brake lights etc). Keep lots space around car.

Take some good tunes... B)

Have a safe trip,

Ian

As mentioned have your coin ready as it will allow you to use the auto tolls if they look quicker.

Driving at night will obviously mean less traffic flow although you can expect it to still be busy (even at 3 am) although you are unlikley to actually end up in a jam at this time.

The services are at Junction 23 so if you fancy a £3 coffee and a break from the mad road plan that in !

Good luck.

PS it's not £3 but its not cheap !

Try not to get to the Dartford Toll booths before 7:30pm as suggested previously.

Take a little care when you leave the M25 at J28 for the A12 north, the roundabout connecting both is controlled by traffic lights and it can be busy. The A12 going north will always be busy up until about 10pm but stay left and take care.... please pay attention as you approach Chelmsford as you have to be in the middle lane in order to stay on the A12, after that it is easy driving up to Ipswich. If you are driving further north I guess you know that you will have to use the A14 towards Felixstowe in order to bypass Ipswich.

My parents used to live just outside of Lowestoft so I used this route numerous times. Enjoy the drive :)

lol I just realised that your journey won't take you as far as junction 23 so ignore my comment about stopping at the services !

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate that no one has said why is she trying to do a drive like that if she is so new to driving? I wouldn't definitely not do it if I didn't think I couldn't but caution is probably wise and so it's why I am clarifying some points :)

SteveL - I heard about that middle lane on the A12. I think if you miss it, its quite a way to go before turning round? I am fine as soon as I get anywhere near Chelmsford as I was at University of Essex for 3 years and used to have 2 hour driving lessons that took me between Colchester and Woodbridge (where I am going). I swore I would never go near the roundabouts near the uni though after many hours of teary driving being forced to go round and round them by my driving instructor at peak times.

lol I just realised that your journey won't take you as far as junction 23 so ignore my comment about stopping at the services !

You never know I might drive past the junction 28 turn off... I have heard of a guy who missed a junction so continued right round the M25 rather than turning round at the next junction. I think he drove a Reliant Robin.

The A12 junction with the M25 has road works on it... and gets very congested because lanes are narrower and merge....

On Friday night, I joined the M25 at J28 & stayed on it all the way to the South Mimms services as I had to meet my Sister and bring my Niece back here...then came all the way back again and it was pretty busy (we got back at 8pm) and it was fine to drive in....all the middle lane hoggers were out in force tho :unsure: so I would say anytime after 8pm was fine...Sunday mornings are good too, as long as you arent going in the direction towards the bridge as all the Lakeside traffic gets heavy at junction 30/31...saying that i'm not sure if it still is really bad, as I havent been on the M25 on a Sunday morning for a month or so..

oh and two weeks after i passed my drivng test in 2003 I drove from junction 30/31 (the one right near here), over the QE2 bridge to go to Bluewater in my 1996 Fiesta and came back again..yes I was terrified and even now the tolls make me go all nervous, but I just stick the car in 1st gear, floor it and get away from them as quick as possible :lol:

good luck with the drive, I've done the drive from Dover/Folkestone a lot too as I often go over the channel to Belgium ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links