Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Type R's Too Fast

borodaz

Today i had a run with my mate in his type r, coming off a bend in second he was infront by 2 car lengths. hit the straight and he kept edging away i couldnt keep up so i gave up when he was about 5 lengths infront.(of course this was on a local track)

His type r has a k and n typhoon and exhaust. myn is standard.

Sort of wishing i got a type r now, gave him a good go but leaving the type r's alone now.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Armz

• borodaz

• T128

• emsii

Top Posters In This Topic

Today i had a run with my mate in his type r, coming off a bend in second he was infront by 2 car lengths. hit the straight and he kept edging away i couldnt keep up so i gave up when he was about 5 lengths infront.(of course this was on a local track)

Sort of wishing i got a type r now, gave him a good go but leaving the type r's alone now.

I've never come against a Type-R that wanted a race, but from what i have heard from others, the type-R and the CTS will be neck and neck up to 60mph, then the type-r will gradually pull away slightly.

Another consideration is how hot the engine was during this. I heard A LOT of bhp is lost if the engine is warmer than normal.

Hopefully others will have a better idea why you lost out to a type-R so badly?

Armz.

I've never come against a Type-R that wanted a race, but from what i have heard from others, the type-R and the CTS will be neck and neck up to 60mph, then the type-r will gradually pull away slightly.

Another consideration is how hot the engine was during this. I heard A LOT of bhp is lost if the engine is warmer than normal.

Armz.

yeah ive heard stories how it is so close, im thinking maybe my car has been thrashed before i baught it, or maybe the lift bolts need changing.

think it was passed 60 when he started edging away but he kept going and i couldnt keep up. surely a typhoon and exhaust cant make that much difference

How did your lap times compare?

lol i didnt want to know i went in a huff, after that straight when he left me i took it easy and went home i shall talk to him in a bit or later when we go for a drive.

Shouldnt realy be racing my car as ive only had it 1 week, last decent car i had i wrote off, unfortunatly that was an old shape corolla, got a pic of the car after the crash somewhere i will post it some time.

When i sell my old car i am going to get me a typhoon.

Armz.

yeah ive heard stories how it is so close, im thinking maybe my car has been thrashed before i baught it, or maybe the lift bolts need changing.

think it was passed 60 when he started edging away but he kept going and i couldnt keep up. surely a typhoon and exhaust cant make that much difference

Do you know what your revs were when he started pulling away? I had suspicions that my lift bolts needed changing, as the car was a 2001 and the bolts were known to be a problem on pre-facelifts. I got them changed today and they are hardly worn at all. (see my thread on that earlier today).

If your lift bolts needed changing then you would either feel no lift, or very slight lift. You would know immediatly though. Also petrol type could be a factor. V-power makes my car almost float along, whereas the BP optimax, tesco etc all feel very sluggish, takes a while to get the rev up into the power band with that lower grade fuel.

I have just the K&N though, no backbox exhaust ..... for now. :scooter: Although the exhuast would not give extra power (5bhp if that) but it's more about the noise than extra power.

Armz.

Armz.

Do you know what your revs were when he started pulling away? I had suspicions that my lift bolts needed changing, as the car was a 2001 and the bolts were known to be a problem on pre-facelifts. I got them changed today and they are hardly worn at all. (see my thread on that earlier today).

If your lift bolts needed changing then you would either feel no lift, or very slight lift. You would know immediatly though. Also petrol type could be a factor. V-power makes my car almost float along, whereas the BP optimax, tesco etc all feel very sluggish, takes a while to get the rev up into the power band with that lower grade fuel.

I have just the K&N though, no backbox exhaust ..... for now. :scooter: Although the exhuast would not give extra power (5bhp if that) but it's more about the noise than extra power.

Armz.

well im using normal petrol from asda (not the best) and i can feel lift is strong in 1st 2nd and then not so strong in 3rd 4th etc.

think im just moaning over nothing tbh , does the typhoon make the car sound loud when your off lift ? dont want it sounding too loud.

well im using normal petrol from asda (not the best) and i can feel lift is strong in 1st 2nd and then not so strong in 3rd 4th etc.

think im just moaning over nothing tbh , does the typhoon make the car sound loud when your off lift ? dont want it sounding too loud.

Yes it will sound louder when driving normally. And tbh I wouldn't stress about not beating a CTR, because that's not something a CTS can achieve (all things being equal). A Compressor certainly should though :)

In all honesty I've never attempted to race any other vehicle since owning the CTS. I have played tag a few times though which was good fun :)

Armz.

Armz.

Ah, asda petrol, i think it may even be the worst of all the supermarket petrols, watered down with additives etc.. Try v-power for one or two tanks on track and you should be smiling from ear to ear again.

I don't have a typhoon on mine, just a K&N 57i, didnt get any answers from anyone on the board regarding the noise difference between typhoon and 57i, and if it was worth changing. So i have no idea the difference between them. IMO it's worth having the 57i fitted at the very least, it does make the engine noise meatier, but not meaty enough due to the standard exhaust. IF you want a meaty sound from the front and back go for a K&N and the tte/remus backbox. the 57i's sell for 90, the typhoons go for 180. Also if you fit the secondary air induction pipe you will get some performance gain as the car will be getting twice as much cold air than before. Which is what you really need on the track.

The lift will feel vicious in 1st and 2nd due to the gearing as i have read on the boards, 3 and 4th are not as strong, and i am not even sure if 5th and 6th have much of a lift at all. Never really had a chance to push the car hard past 4th, i use 5th and 6th for cruising on motorways (although i dont drive that much on motorways anymore, and i value my clean license)

Armz.

The Tesco Super Unleaded is some of the best stuff you can get in this country. Better than V-Power.

5th has lift.

Maybe because you haven't properly got used to the car as you've had it only for a week?

maybe, think i will take it easy now. i just cant help myself from using the lift it makes me so happy lolol

as for petrol she will need filling up tomorrow so i will use vpower, tesco is at least 6 miles away.

since i baught her 1week and 2days ago i have used £50 in petrol :o .

Maybe because you haven't properly got used to the car as you've had it only for a week?

maybe, think i will take it easy now. i just cant help myself from using the lift it makes me so happy lolol

as for petrol she will need filling up tomorrow so i will use vpower, tesco is at least 6 miles away.

since i baught her 1week and 2days ago i have used £50 in petrol :o .

50pounds for 9 days is not too bad actually. I fill to the brim with v-power, costs about 50 (petrol low indicator not on yet). When i first got the car and fitted the 57i i went through the entire tank in 3-4days. I must have only done about 100miles....The lift is nice. :lol: Nowadays i think i get about 2 weeks on a full tank, 350-400 miles. I do use the lift but not all the time like i did when i first got the car. 57i is rather loud and makes people jump when i stamp my right foot. It is nice to have that bite there whenever need though.

Armz.

The Tesco Super Unleaded is some of the best stuff you can get in this country. Better than V-Power.

5th has lift.

I've heard of the tesco super stuff, but not all tescos have it. I live a few miles within 2 tesco superstores and they dont sell the good stuff. So i make do with the 2 Shell garages within 1 mile of my house. Slap bang in the middle.

I take it the lift in 5th is a very weak lift? or is it as strong as 3rd and 4th? I should take my car onto a track sometime soon and give it a try on the straights and see exactly what kind of lift i get in every gear now i have brand new bolts, not that they needed changing.

Armz.

AFAIK, lift is exactly the same in all gears; I'll be amazed if anyone has proof that it isn't. The power available at any RPM is exactly the same whether you are in 1st gear or 6th.

At higher speeds much more power is required simply to overcome the car's aerodynamic drag and this is the main reason why the car doesn't feel as powerful at higher speeds.

Cts has a little bit under 190bhp stock.. Ctr has 200bhp or even more.. Many Ctr's has been dynod after changing the air filter and exhaust (mostly aem cai, not k&n) and they give almost 220bhp.

So your friend has about 30bhp more than you.. And his car is probably more lighter :(

Compressor can own a TypeR. This is a fact. :)

Cts has a little bit under 190bhp stock.. Ctr has 200bhp or even more.. Many Ctr's has been dynod after changing the air filter and exhaust (mostly aem cai, not k&n) and they give almost 220bhp.

So your friend has about 30bhp more than you.. And his car is probably more lighter :(

okie dokie that setles it then :) when ive paid this car off im moving to a compressor :)

Hangon, isn't it the other way round? CTR is heavier than CTS? 2litre block versus 1.8 litre?

Plus our power to weight ratio is better? Its only after 60mph that the CTR will push ahead due to the bigger engine, which means slightly less work for it so more comfortable to push ahead?

Armz.

Hi all yeah, I came up against a type r,He looked at me I looked at him.He jumped the light's

gave him 2 or 3 car length's caught him and passed him before we hit the 1/4 mile finish lol.

HOOVER :thumbsup: TTE COMPRESSOR

Urm, because they are a quicker car?

surely a typhoon and exhaust cant make that much difference?

Right once again, they are quicker than a cts even in standard guise!

Urm, because they are a quicker car?

surely a typhoon and exhaust cant make that much difference?

Right once again, they are quicker than a cts even in standard guise!

Its been said, many many times. More times than i care to mention but here goes again. the CTR and CTS are like for like up to 60mph. Please explain to me how it can be the quicker car then? We are not talking 189bhp vs 300bhp here. There is only 11bhp in it. On paper it appears faster, especially as honda have accurate figures, unlike toyota who claimed CTS 0-60 is 8+secs.

Infact they were all track tested and the 0-60 time for 03 plate CTS is 6.83secs (beat the t-sport celica by 0.02sec). and the 02 plate CTR 0-60 track time was 6.57secs. Now if you want to introduce the new 2007 CTR into the mix that did even worse. 0-60 was 7.13secs.

Link with the facts -- >http://www.letstorquebhp.com/fwd.asp

CTS - 189bhp 0-60 = 6.83secs

CTR - 200bhp 0-60 = 6.57secs

CTS lighter than CTR

CTS smaller engine than CTR.

Fact is that CTS can keep up with CTR legally on public roads obeying speedlimits, so unless there are some illegal speeders out there there should be nothing in the CTS and CTR race. Ofcourse on track there is a different style of driving and it would probably come down to the driver and the track and if there are long straights for the CTR to develop it's legs above 60mph.

I'm no CTR or CTS fanboy, i just drive what i enjoy driving, not because of it's name/make/model. It's whatever feels better suited to me.

Cheers

Armz.

Nope, ep3 Ctr is a bit lighter, the new ctr isn't. ( ctr - 1204kg, cts - 1210kg ) :D

But i think that if you but k&n typhoon and custom exhaust with sports cat to your cts, you could own a stock type R..

With those changes you could probably get 200-210bhp from cts. ^_^

Ctr was my 1st option for a new car... But i bought a cts and i don't regret at all :)

Nope, ep3 Ctr is a bit lighter, the new ctr isn't. ( ctr - 1204kg, cts - 1210kg ) :D

But i think that if you but k&n typhoon and custom exhaust with sports cat to your cts, you could own a stock type R..

With those changes you could probably get 200-210bhp from cts. ^_^

The figures published on that site don't seem to relay that same assumption that CTR is faster. 0.2secs, yes, but in real life how much further would the car be? probably a hair in it, that is why the CTS can keep up. I didn't say the CTS will overtake the CTR. Thats the job for the compressor. B)

My car manual states my car as 1360kg. same as on my other documents i have re weight of the car. Mines Pre-facelift and one of the first batch of t-sports made. The facelift T-sports have even more extras fitted as standard over the pre-facelift, so how the facelift is lighter is a mystery to me.

@ 1210KG the CTS is probably stripped out of all seats, carpets and other items.

Cheers

Armz.

You said that cts is lighter, but now you say that your cts weights 1360kg, wtf?

Then isn't that heavier than 1200kg type r? or where you talking from the egg shape (new) ctr?

:huh::huh::huh: