• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Armz

• borodaz

• T128

• emsii

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is quicker CTS or CTR? Not sure but CTS is sure quicker than the Mini Cooper S.

Some idiot in a Cooper S decided to tailgate me on the M25 the other day. No cars were in front so changed into 3rd, hit lift and saw copper trailing, then slowed down to allow him to catch up, he undertook me and I laughed at him! He was not impressed.

You said that cts is lighter, but now you say that your cts weights 1360kg, wtf?

Then isn't that heavier than 1200kg type r? or where you talking from the egg shape (new) ctr?

:huh::huh::huh:

I said CTS is lighter becuase thats what i have heard from various people on the boards. I don't know the weight of the CTR to compare with figures, but i do know the 0-60 times as shown on the site i linked to. Tested in perfect track conditions.

Ofcourse the new 'bugg' shape CTR is not as good, thats obvious from the slower 0-60 times i stated above which were also taken from LetsTorqueBhp.com

The figures do the talking, not mine is better than yours type arguements. :D

cheers

Armz.

Which is quicker CTS or CTR? Not sure but CTS is sure quicker than the Mini Cooper S.

Some idiot in a Cooper S decided to tailgate me on the M25 the other day. No cars were in front so changed into 3rd, hit lift and saw copper trailing, then slowed down to allow him to catch up, he undertook me and I laughed at him! He was not impressed.

Mini cooper S? not suprised it's only got 161bhp. 0-60 is 7.45secs.

If it was a mini cooper s works that would be a different story thats 197bhp. 0-60 6.29sec

Or if it's a mini cooper s works GP, thats compressor territory. 218bhp 0-60 5.64secs.

Don't think i'd buy one though as the interior is very girly. I do like the new interior lights on the latest models that can change colour based on mood though! Very nice. I think there are 4 different colours to pick and use.

Armz

hi,simple answer BUY A COMPRESSOR thats what i did.

I almost traded in my CTS for a compressor 2 months ago. But opted out when i got a quote for insurance plus the car I wanted to buy was a 56plate with only 50miles on it, in a nice grey metallic, for 9995. But what does that say about depreciation? The cars list value is supposed to be 15-16k. When it comes to selling it off later it was too much money to risk losing. Probably lose another few grand in 1 years time, plus wear and tear to further depreciate the price. The trade price they offered me for my car was 4500. I'd paid 6000 for it only 10 months earlier.

CTS is good enough, it wasn't built to win races, nor was the compressor, as none are used in track racing like the clio cup or the civic type-r races. Having said that the CTS is a very competant car for it's N/A status. Maybe in japan they race them, but on a very small scale that we don't get to see any on television.

Would love to see new shape Toyota Corolla's track racing on a pro level, would be excellent to watch the cars and how they perform on the track under various conditions driven by varying levels of skilled drivers, but somehow i don't think that will ever happen. :( The noise would be awesome though, 10-15 race spec corollas hammering around the track on tv. I'd probably hook up my cinema surround sound just to get the full spectrum of noises from those engines. All with some beefy induction kits.

Armz.

Hey guys

A friend of mine that i used to work with bought a silver CTR shortly after i bought my CTS. On the track we were near as dam it neck and neck, however he did slightly pull away (bought a bonnet length!) after the 70mph mark... However later on that day it rained hard, and i absolutly destroyed him, he just couldn't put the power down!

Both standard cars!

Cheers

MarK

Thanks UK86_Mark, that confirms the data on the site i linked to earlier in the thread.

CTR and CTS are like for like up to the legal speedlimit on motorways.

Emsii: Apologies, i've just double checked my V5 document again and the MASS IN SERVICE is 1330, not 1360KG Slight typo there.

Still its no where near 1210kg. Strange.

Cheers.

Armz.

the reason the CTR is quicker is because it isn't 140bhp in the lower rev range, this fact makes it very easy to get the jump on a tsport.

Don't get me wrong, i'd prefer to own a Tsport as CTR's are pish for the money you pay and very overrated. But like for like, standard, straight from the factory the CTR will win all day long in perfect conditions. Look at it this way:

CTR has superior suspension in terms of out of the box set up. You'd be looking at least a set of springs and shocks to match the type r. There is also the wider rims which not only allow faster cornering but also improve traction/grip. Traction control - whilst this may make it easier for non pro drivers such as ourselves going that little bit faster round the twisties its actually a disadvantage for someone who has real racing experience and will only hinder them. 190bhp isn't enough power to warrant traction control and a good LSD would be sufficient. Hell, my golf is running just shy of 300hp FWD and that copes just fine with just an LSD only.

Also, if we are talking about a race then the speed is obviously going to be in excess of 70...don't try and tell me you never gone past 70 leptons having a little play!

the reason the CTR is quicker is because it isn't 140bhp in the lower rev range, this fact makes it very easy to get the jump on a tsport.

True, i noticed when i very first drove the car i knew nothing of t-sport and lift. It just didnt feel fast to me at all. All the cars i own and owned previously had all the power up to 5k rpm. When i realised that the car must be revved hard to get the power i realised it was a powerhouse. And it's not hard to get all the power out of it in 1st gear or get the revs up quickly. It's the 2nd gear and above that are no good if your revs are say below 3k. It takes a while to get the revs up to the magic powerband and by then you will be left behind.

But with a driver that knows what he's doing, well......... it's 189bhp all the way thru all gears!. :scooter:

Don't get me wrong, i'd prefer to own a Tsport as CTR's are pish for the money you pay and very overrated. But like for like, standard, straight from the factory the CTR will win all day long in perfect conditions. Look at it this way:

CTR has superior suspension in terms of out of the box set up. You'd be looking at least a set of springs and shocks to match the type r. There is also the wider rims which not only allow faster cornering but also improve traction/grip. Traction control - whilst this may make it easier for non pro drivers such as ourselves going that little bit faster round the twisties its actually a disadvantage for someone who has real racing experience and will only hinder them. 190bhp isn't enough power to warrant traction control and a good LSD would be sufficient. Hell, my golf is running just shy of 300hp FWD and that copes just fine with just an LSD only.

I agree with you there you are right about the stock setup of both cars. But the money saved buying a CTS instead of a CTR you could get those extra mods and still have spent less than buying a CTR.

Also, if we are talking about a race then the speed is obviously going to be in excess of 70...don't try and tell me you never gone past 70 leptons having a little play!

LOL!, i enjoy playing but not as much as i used to. i'm 29 now, been there and done that with getting caught doing 115 in a 50 dual carriageway, managed to get off without a ban and just 6 points and 180fine plus court costs. Got the clean license now for the past 2 years finnally and don't intend getting any points on there or getting hammered by my insurance company. I rather spend my money on mods than paying higher premiums. Thats why track days are perfect for a good old play. Just wish i had time to get down to one sometime.

Cheers

Armz.

LOL!, i enjoy playing but not as much as i used to. i'm 29 now, been there and done that with getting caught doing 115 in a 50 dual carriageway, managed to get off without a ban and just 6 points and 180fine plus court costs. Got the clean license now for the past 2 years finnally and don't intend getting any points on there or getting hammered by my insurance company. I rather spend my money on mods than paying higher premiums. Thats why track days are perfect for a good old play. Just wish i had time to get down to one sometime.

Cheers

Armz.

At the end of the day, if i had the choice out of the two i would go for the t-sport, fit some coilovers and be pretty chuffed with the wedge of cash saved.

The CTS is definately the car to go for out of the two. Its all there; performance, looks and comfort without any real compromise. :)

Cheers

Armz.

At the end of the day, if i had the choice out of the two i would go for the t-sport, fit some coilovers and be pretty chuffed with the wedge of cash saved.

The CTS is definately the car to go for out of the two. Its all there; performance, looks and comfort without any real compromise. :)

I never actually got the opportunity to pick. My sister owned it before me and got given brand new pug307 company car. She couldnt sell the t-sport for anywhere near the price she paid for it the previous year at 9950. The best she got offered was 5k. So i helped her out and gave her 6k for it, which was the true bookvalue cost, not the silly price we got offered from various garages. So i never got to drive a CTR, nor did i actually go out looking to buy a car let alone a CTS. Already got two benz's so no need for extra cars. :lol: I actually drive the t-sport almost everyday now. It's an enjoyable car and i'm glad i bought it, plus i have my all-in-one 6.9inch tv/dvd/gps/mp3 cdplayer installed with quality sounds. I have everything i need. Power, sounds and entertainment. :toast: What more could a man ask for?

Armz.

:toast: What more could a man ask for?

Armz.

Boost? :P

:lol: Don't give me ideas, i've already got enough bills to pay and more to come seeing as im having my car booked into the bodyshop next week or so.

Armz.

Stock Type R weight is a little bit over 1200kg.. sadly it is lighter than stock cts :blink:

But is a 5door cts heavier than 3door?

Stock Type R weight is a little bit over 1200kg.. sadly it is lighter than stock cts :blink:

But is a 5door cts heavier than 3door?

I have no idea the weight of a 5-door. Mine is a 3door CTS @1330

Armz.

If it was a mini cooper s works that would be a different story thats 197bhp. 0-60 6.29sec

Or if it's a mini cooper s works GP, thats compressor territory. 218bhp 0-60 5.64secs.

Don't think i'd buy one though as the interior is very girly. I do like the new interior lights on the latest models that can change colour based on mood though! Very nice. I think there are 4 different colours to pick and use.

Armz

Both old shape (supercharged 167bhp) and new shape (turbocharged 175bhp) Cooper S types feel a little bit quicker than the T Sport. There's not much in it in terms of how they feel in isolation but I've never had them side by side. I think the MINIs feel a bit quicker due to the turbo kick.

There is a twin test floating around of CTS vs CTR, there is very little in it, but the times are in the wet.

Personally I like the fact the CTS is very nearly as cheap but is better equipped and a hell of a lot cheaper to insure. :)

Armz

Both old shape (supercharged 167bhp) and new shape (turbocharged 175bhp) Cooper S types feel a little bit quicker than the T Sport. There's not much in it in terms of how they feel in isolation but I've never had them side by side. I think the MINIs feel a bit quicker due to the turbo kick.

There is a twin test floating around of CTS vs CTR, there is very little in it, but the times are in the wet.

Personally I like the fact the CTS is very nearly as cheap but is better equipped and a hell of a lot cheaper to insure. :)

hell of a lot cheaper ? its only 2 groups higher, or is that a big jump ?

hell of a lot cheaper ? its only 2 groups higher, or is that a big jump ?

Well my firend who is a few years younger than me (he's 23) did a quote on a multi company search site fo insurance for both the CTR and the CTS (assuming the same year of manufacture). From memory, the CTR came out at something like £1900 fully comp and the CTS came in at £850 fully comp. Just remember that the CTR is a high profile hot hatch and as such is a magnet for various types of crime, and the insurance companies sensibly factor this in to their quotes as well. The CTS however is a Corolla and only pensioners drive a corolla so not much chance of people torching it etc in the grand scheme of things ;)

Armz

Oh, i always thought supercharged and turbocharged was the same thing just different name. So there is a difference in power output also. Interesting.

Armz.

Armz

Oh, i always thought supercharged and turbocharged was the same thing just different name. So there is a difference in power output also. Interesting.

Armz.

I loved my CTS it was a lovely car but I wanted more power I wanted to be able to obliterate a type r or a megane 225 or pretty much anything else! LOL so I traded it in for a 300bhp celica gt4 st205 and you know what I don't regret it one little bit it puts more of a smile on my face than lift ever did. This CTS vs CTR thread will go on forever the fact is standard and in the dry the CTR with leave a CTS no problem.

Armz

Armz.

I loved my CTS it was a lovely car but I wanted more power I wanted to be able to obliterate a type r or a megane 225 or pretty much anything else! LOL so I traded it in for a 300bhp celica gt4 st205 and you know what I don't regret it one little bit it puts more of a smile on my face than lift ever did. This CTS vs CTR thread will go on forever the fact is standard and in the dry the CTR with leave a CTS no problem.

I might get flamed for this, but sometimes i do wish that my lift was at a lower start point, lift at 2-3k rpm would be very nice but completely spoil what the t-sport is all about, high revving high output fun car.

I do miss having a lot of power from low revs, but then theres no soundtrack to go with it.

Your Celica must go like the clappers, lol. I don't think i would even look at you at the traffic lights so to avoid a mis-understanding let alone try and race you. Well out of the CTS league.

Armz.

You should have been at the Toyota Sprint series to see all the GT4s and a couple of Supras being shown how it's done by this ;)

Corolla-GT4-3-800.jpg

Not quite your standard Rolla though. :)

do you have the spec of that rolla ? is it just me or does the front end look small ? (squashed sort of) :)

do you have the spec of that rolla ? is it just me or does the front end look small ? (squashed sort of) :)

The full spec is on the Fensport website with all the mods done to it.

Its a 650bhp+ 4wd beast. I'd like to see some proper videos of this on the track is any around?

I've seen the 'take-off' video and the 200mph+ trial run but thats all. Not really much around to really see what it can do,,, and for longer than a few minutes flat out then suffers mechanical problems.

Armz.

The full spec is on the Fensport website with all the mods done to it.

Its a 650bhp+ 4wd beast. I'd like to see some proper videos of this on the track is any around?

I've seen the 'take-off' video and the 200mph+ trial run but thats all. Not really much around to really see what it can do,,, and for longer than a few minutes flat out then suffers mechanical problems.

Armz.

well all that money spent on it and it cant get driven hard for long, waste of money if you ask me. still would be nice to have a drive :)